Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 04-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #76
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
"You're making a big jump there. Me buying a Fire last year says nothing about my gadget-buying habits and I'm sure the same is true for almost EVERYONE else on this thread too!"
Thank you!
I bought the KF because of its low price and as something that would serve as a personal consumption device and viable alternative to always needing a shoulder bag/backpack to haul my laptop around the city. Not to be trendy &fashionable.

In fact I am a longtime Apple/Mac user but frankly I despise the mentality
of those mindless worshippers that camp out in front of stores to get the latest version of the iphone/Ipad on day one, just because it has a higher version number than the one they could not live without only 14 months ago when it was the newest.

A sad example of how the "Sheeple" in America are so easily herded and hand over their wealth to the Mega Corporations.
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:25 AM   #77
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaguy View Post
We had a discussion recently here on the MR forums about this and someone said charge it at 40% no less no more.

So which is correct

I agree a FULL refresh charge is needed every once in a while
Come on folks...Unfortunately this discussion keeps resurfacing. Charging our GD Fire's isn't rocket science--we aren't trying to launch the Space Shuttle. Engineering wisdom says recharge around mid-discharge. That could be anywhere from 35% to 65%. I wouldn't habitually wait until the discharge was at 15% though. But on the other hand there is no reason at all to be anal retentive about when to recharge. And there is no reason to hijack a thread for several pages of total off topic BS and arguing. It is your Fire, do with it what you want no matter how stupid an act that might be.
Advert
Old 04-16-2012, 12:52 PM   #78
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Amazon placed the recharge indicator at 15% for the Kindle Fire. They have issued no other instructions to contradict it. Thus, I do a full charge at between 10% and 20%. By the way, Amazon sells replacement Lithium batteries for the Kindle 1. They do NOT sell replacement batteries for the Kindle Fire. There must be some reason for their different approaches to the two devices.

The Kindle 3rd Gen Keyboard also has recharge indicator. I only charge that one when the recharge indicator beeps. I see no reason to recharge it earlier. I purchased that one in December, 2009. Its probably living on borrowed time now.

I purchased a Sony PRS 500 in December, 2007. I gave it away in 2009. I purchased a Sony PRS 900 in December, 2009. I still own it but it has sat unused for over a year now. That battery still works and I haven't charged it for a year. I leave it in shut down mode.

My new ATT cordless phones (DECT 6.0) has a manual saying to always leave the phones in the chargers at full strength. Thus, I do that with those phones.

My NowBible instruction booklet says the device will fail after 500 charges. I let that device run its battery to zero before a full charge. Its lasted 18 months without any battery problems so far using that doctrine. I'm in the 25th charge cycle with that device. I fully expect it to die when I get to cycle 500. I hope a new generation of that device occurs before then.

The Lithium Manufacturer instructions I linked earlier in the thread indicated ALL Lithium batteries die after 300 to 500 charges and, if full charges are not used, they die within 2 to 3 years in any event. That would indicate daily full charges will end the battery life in 2 years.

I still say, do anything you want it won't matter. Our appetites WILL force all of us to buy a new eReader probably by the end of 2012. Maybe it will not even be called a "tablet." It may be called a "DualScreen." So far I've spent far more money on eReaders than on eBooks and its only the "toy" value of the eReaders which has caused this. If I didn't appreciate the "toy" value, I'd still be reading print books.

Last edited by sirmaru; 04-16-2012 at 01:11 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #79
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jduck View Post
You're making a big jump there. Me buying a Fire last year says nothing about my gadget-buying habits and I'm sure the same is true for almost EVERYONE else on this thread too! My Fire didn't replace any other e-reader or tablet, and I really doubt I'll replace it before it's dead.
As someone who is using a Desktop PC she bought in 2008 I would say me getting a Fire was not a show of my buying habits either. I could of bought a new PC but nope I repair this one. New Fans, New PSU and It's eaten two hard drives so I'm on my third. It has a short in the motherboard where PWM doesn't work correctly but it works for what I need it to do.

It really was a perfect timing that I own my Kindles. My mother has gifted them all to me with small help from hubby. If their releases hadn't fallen around my birthday I wouldn't of been able to get them.

I just don't see me getting another tablet. I realize I don't need one. I can use my phone if I need to surf. I use my Fire as a Reader but once the lighted Kindle comes out The KF may just sit on the shelf or hubby can use it for gaming.

For me a eReader is a must. Books carries germs and too small of print. I still read clean paperbacks but only if it's the only option for me. I prefer ebooks. A eReader to me is not a toy. As a bookworm it's just another way I can read the books I am in so much in love with.

Last edited by Blossom; 04-16-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:12 PM   #80
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
"Our appetites WILL force all of us to buy a new eReader probably by the end of 2012. Maybe it will not even be called a "tablet." It may be called a "DualScreen." So far I've spent far more money on eReaders than on eBooks and its only the "toy" value of the eReaders which has caused this. If I didn't appreciate the "toy" value, I'd still be reading print books."

Perhaps it is best if we all speak for ourselves only and not make any presumptuous declarations about the buying motives of everyone else.

For me My kindle fire purchase was part of my larger move away from physical Media in general. it has NOTHING to do with "toy value"
I much prefer to have over 100 comic book titles in .cbr format on my kindle instead of 100 printed copies taking up storage space and rotting away over time or getting damaged if I decide to carry some with me on a trip.
The same with Books and even DVD's
My movie collection is on a 250 gig firewire drive an even
walmart is encouraging the move way from physical media for movies with its new Disc to digital service
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/st...ion/54204908/1.

Will my KF last the rest of my life?? certainly not
but ,barring some major device failure, I definitely will not be buying some new tablet/E-reader eight months from now based some so called "toy value" or the mere passage of time itself.
Advert
Old 04-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #81
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT

Quote:
"For me a eReader is a must. Books carries germs and too small of print."
Thank you few things disgust me more than to pickup a book and actually smell the sour odor of encrusted dry saliva that has be pressed into the upper right corner of every page by a person with the nasty habit of using a licked/spit covered finger to get a better grip on each turned page!!
Old 04-16-2012, 02:29 PM   #82
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabran View Post
Thank you few things disgust me more than to pickup a book and actually smell the sour odor of encrusted dry saliva that has be pressed into the upper right corner of every page by a person with the nasty habit of using a licked/spit covered finger to get a better grip on each turned page!!
Ick! Never thought of that. I do buy used books but only in Like New condition which pretty much means gently used. I've been lucky to only 3 times buy a book that was worse then described. For this reason I am so grateful for ebook library lending! I can't use a regular library. I have really bad allergies to the point I have to wear gloves if I handle a library book or I will break out in hives.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #83
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I'm one of those people who stood in line from 5AM for iPhone 4. It was fun. Would I do it again? Yes. But beforehand I was using an iPhone 2G since it debuted. Does that make me a sheep because I wanted something that I pre-ordered the day it came out but didn't have the money at the time to get it sent to me instead?

Oh, and when I used to read print books, I'd always get really, really bad papercuts to the point where if I needed to sell the book, I wasn't able to. E-readers have saved my fingers for that reason.

Last edited by Jessica Lares; 04-16-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #84
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Long before eReaders were introduced, I used to read eBooks using the Microsoft eReader on my PC. That was back in 1990 or even earlier.

The last time I read a print book was in 1955. I never saved any print books I dumped them in the garbage after reading. I used to belong to Book of the Month Club back then.

Other than eBooks, almost all my reading (newspapers, magazines, blogs, news summaries) are still on my PC.

Last edited by sirmaru; 04-16-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:04 PM   #85
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT

Quote:
"Does that make me a sheep because I wanted something that I pre-ordered the day it came out but didn't have the money at the time to get it sent to me instead?"

We the fact that you somehow managed to survive with that "obsolete" 2G phone tells me you you are not of the mentality of some of the people I have seen
who behave Franticly as if their current Adobe,Autodesk software or Apple Idevice has suddenly deactivated itself upon the news of a higher version number available and rush to dump them on craigslist.

Look I am not some old Stick in the mud who thinks we should still be running Windows 95 and mac OS9.
but many of these "upgrades" often offer very little in the way of true increases in actual productivity, just bragging rights.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:14 PM   #86
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
The last time I read a print book was in 1955. I never saved any print books I dumped them in the garbage after reading. I used to belong to Book of the Month Club back then.
I will never get how someone can just throw precious books away. I donate mine to a library or give them to charity thriftshops for them to sell.

I wasn't allowed books growing up unless they were religious study aids. I had to sneak them from school and from other places. I couldn't afford new books so they were raggedy things but I loved them so much. I bought my first new book in my teens when I was old enough to rebel and had my own money. A book has to be in terrible shape for me to pitch it. I just love them too much. :book2

I started reading ebooks in 2004 through Lit and PDF on my Desktop. I bought a Netbook in 2008 and used that till 2009 when I got my first eReader.

Last edited by Blossom; 04-16-2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:17 PM   #87
sirmaru
Wizard

Just wait until September, 2012, and Amazon starts accepting pre-orders for the Kindle Touch eInk Glow Light. I'm sure EVERYONE in this thread is going to place their orders.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:23 PM   #88
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Fire, K2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I will never get how someone can just throw precious books away. I donate mine to a library or give them to charity thiftshops for them to sell.

I wasn't allowed books growing up unless they were religious study aids. I had to sneak them from school and from other places. I couldn't afford new books so they were raggedy things but I loved them so much. I bought my first new book in my teens when I was old enough to rebel and had my own money. A book has to be in terrible shape for me to pitch it. I just love them too much.
I'm with you, Blossom. I never throw a book away unless it is in awful condition. There are too any people who can use them.
beej231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #89
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Just wait until September, 2012, and Amazon starts accepting pre-orders for the Kindle Touch eInk Glow Light. I'm sure EVERYONE in this thread is going to place their orders.
Yes, but it's replacing my K3, not Fire. And it depends on if it's announced as the same time as KF2. If so, I'm not bothering with it.

Going back to 6.3, I just thought about something...

I just reinstalled it after being on ICS to test PolyClock again. It works fine now... Even before trying out the new version they sent me to test. I did clear my caches though.

Does anyone know if Amazon clears our caches during the update sequence? It would explain a lot of the bugs we have.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #90
sirmaru
Wizard

Agreed !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Yes, but it's replacing my K3, not Fire. And it depends on if it's announced as the same time as KF2. If so, I'm not bothering with it.
I agree. If the Kindle Fire Dual Screen is announced the same day as the Kindle Touch Glow Light, I'll only go with the Kindle Fire Dual Screen.

A Kindle Fire offering eInk AND LCD with a switch will take us all to the next level.