Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-22-2009, 02:43 PM   #46
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Of course, if I simply *must* have ePub support, I could always sell my older Gen3 and buy a Nook.
As you owns a kindle, your interst would be to use mobi all the way, so your books can be read on any of your readers without having to spend time converting.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:53 PM   #47
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
As you owns a kindle, your interst would be to use mobi all the way, so your books can be read on any of your readers without having to spend time converting.
But we've got a PRS-500 ePub update on the way. Besides, after the way Bookeen handled its updates, I'm thinking that having both ePub and Kindle/Mobi support would be best.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2009, 12:19 PM   #48
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
bookeen offers a firmware that gives the cybook epub support. be aware, though, that you can have EITHER mobi OR epub - not both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
By whose standards? I *have* a Cybook Gen3 and I do *NOT* have *ANY* ePub support - nor do I have the promised-for-more-than-a-year folder management support. Oh! Right! I have to shell out for a brand-new unit to get that!

Well, I still don't have decent folder management, nor do I have direct ePub support, but with my brand-spanking-new Kindle 2 I have a quality device that is simple to use and is worth having.

Of course, if I simply *must* have ePub support, I could always sell my older Gen3 and buy a Nook.

Derek
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:40 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
bookeen offers a firmware that gives the cybook epub support. be aware, though, that you can have EITHER mobi OR epub - not both.
So where is this mythical ePub firmware so Gen3 owners can have ePub support?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:56 PM   #50
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Who would buy it? Perhaps someone who wants excellent ePub support. Bookeen seem to have pretty much the best ePub implementation around at present.
But if they're going to be using ADE, then it'll have the same renderer everyone else has. No advantage.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2009, 01:18 PM   #51
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
But if they're going to be using ADE, then it'll have the same renderer everyone else has. No advantage.
If you really think that, I would respectfully suggest that you don't have a very wide range of eBook readers . Believe me, there is a dramatic difference in how well different devices render ePub files, with Sony currently being the least capable, and the Bookeen Opus the best (that I've so far come across).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:22 PM   #52
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
If you really think that, I would respectfully suggest that you don't have a very wide range of eBook readers . Believe me, there is a dramatic difference in how well different devices render ePub files, with Sony currently being the least capable, and the Bookeen Opus the best (that I've so far come across).
The Sony's, of course, have more advanced features (except for the 505 and 300) such as annotation and dictionary support. So even if the renderer is less advanced in some ways, one can argue that the Sonys may be better over all.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:24 PM   #53
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
The Sony's, of course, have more advanced features (except for the 505 and 300) such as annotation and dictionary support. So even if the renderer is less advanced in some ways, one can argue that the Sonys may be better over all.
Absolutely - which is precisely why the PRS-600 is the device that I use as my day-to-day reader out of the half a dozen that I own. However, that doesn't change the fact that, purely considered in terms of the quality of its ePub rendering capabilities, it is the poorest of the lot.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:46 PM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Absolutely - which is precisely why the PRS-600 is the device that I use as my day-to-day reader out of the half a dozen that I own. However, that doesn't change the fact that, purely considered in terms of the quality of its ePub rendering capabilities, it is the poorest of the lot.
Other then lack of full justification, there's nothing poor about it. Actually, Sony's ePub is one of the best. It hardly locks, it has full link support and proper history. Not all can say that.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:31 PM   #55
rireed3
Connoisseur
rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook 1, Cybook Gen3
Quote:
I'm not sure you got the point from JSWolf. It would appear you don't care to have the epub firmware as you don't know it doesn't exist, unless you mean it's 'offered' if you're American, Spanish, German, Japanese, or Czech (not French, that I can find) and want to shell out $346.

Bookeen 'offered' a new epub/Adobe-DRM firmware on their blog on 27 August. Previously, they have said for over a year that they would have that firmware for download "in a few weeks". The 'offered' firmware has yet to appear, and no explanation is 'offered'.

Incidentally, don't buy a Gold Edition if you think you might want to temporarily flash the Mobi firmware (Fictionwise customers, maybe). The only Gen3 firmware on the Bookeen site is 1.2, very old and buggy.

Last edited by rireed3; 11-24-2009 at 07:38 PM.
rireed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:00 PM   #56
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rireed3 View Post
Incidentally, don't buy a Gold Edition if you think you might want to temporarily flash the Mobi firmware (Fictionwise customers, maybe). The only Gen3 firmware on the Bookeen site is 1.2, very old and buggy.
The Gold has a new display controller, and so the old firmware presumably won't work.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:20 AM   #57
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Unless they've *FINALLY* posted the update firmware, I can't even have *that* without buying a new Cybook Gen3 Gold.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:41 AM   #58
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The Gold has a new display controller, and so the old firmware presumably won't work.
The “old” firmware already doesn't work on newer gen3
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:11 AM   #59
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Opus + HTC Desire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDecraene View Post
Well, MY major issue with my gen 3 is: screen freezes. Happens unfortunately very regularly. I then lose my position in the book I'm reading which is verrry annoying.
Haven't had a freeze for MONTHS now.
YGG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 06:20 PM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rireed3 View Post
I'm not sure you got the point from JSWolf. It would appear you don't care to have the epub firmware as you don't know it doesn't exist, unless you mean it's 'offered' if you're American, Spanish, German, Japanese, or Czech (not French, that I can find) and want to shell out $346.
If I had a Gen3, I would want the ePub firmware that may or may not exist.