Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-21-2012, 05:54 AM   #181
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Well at least it is consistent Is it always out by the same amount?
So far the pattern seems to be at the start of all the pages that say they are the same page number. Say I stop somewhere in the 4 pages that claim to be page 35. When I return, it will be on the first page of the 4.

You were asking about bookmarks... when you press the home button, it dogears the current page before leaving. On return the dogear is gone - is this a temporary bookmark? If so, THAT's what isn't working I suspect.

Quote:
I looked at the details page for a few books today and found the default text cover was used. This is simple the book title and type. The sleep and power off cover has been right so far.
Not sure what you mean by the details page - but the book I am reading, that is going to sleep without showing the cover, shows a proper cover on the home page.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:12 AM   #182
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
So far the pattern seems to be at the start of all the pages that say they are the same page number. Say I stop somewhere in the 4 pages that claim to be page 35. When I return, it will be on the first page of the 4.
That was one of my thoughts for what is going on, but hadn't been confirmed.
Quote:
You were asking about bookmarks... when you press the home button, it dogears the current page before leaving. On return the dogear is gone - is this a temporary bookmark? If so, THAT's what isn't working I suspect.
It should be a permanent bookmark. It should be showing when you get to the screen within the page number. For Jaden and Lynx-Lynx it is working. Do annotations or highlights save and return?
Quote:
Not sure what you mean by the details page - but the book I am reading, that is going to sleep without showing the cover, shows a proper cover on the home page.
On the list of books, press the menu icon for one of the books. Then select "View details".

Are the books in the main memory or an SD card?

Last edited by davidfor; 12-21-2012 at 06:19 AM.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2012, 06:21 AM   #183
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
That was one of my thoughts for what is going on, but hadn't been confirmed.
I'll keep an eye on it, but I think that is correct.

Quote:
It should be a permanent bookmark. It should be showing when you get to the screen within the page number. For Jaden and Lynx-Lynx it is working. Do annotations or highlights save and return?
Are you sure? Seems strange to create a permanent bookmark each time you close the book.

Quote:
On the list of books, press the menu icon for one of the books. Then select "View details".

Are the books in the main memory or an SD card?
No SD card - I am keeping it simple. I checked the details and the cover shows up there in miniature, but doesn't prove much because I am reading the book currently, and just before I checked the details, it had gone to sleep - and decided to show a cover this time. I had done nothing but read a few pages in between this and last time it went to sleep (not showing the cover) I smell another bug....
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:22 AM   #184
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
I don't really understand the function of this side-margin page number. It seems to only be for epubs... but, the page numbers the Kobo puts at the bottom of the page seem to work the same way... For me at least, the side margin and bottom margin page numbers are always the same...
The side margin numbers are only for epubs. In an earlier post today, I explained the difference. As I don't blame anyone for not reading that particular post, I'll copy the relevant part.

Quote:
The page number down the bottom of the screen is calculated based on 1024 characters per page. Exactly how much text is on the screen depends on the font, size, line spacing margin and formatting. This means that a page can go over several screens. To see what I mean, turn on the page numbers in the margin (Settings, Reading Settings, top of page 2). Then as you read, watch the difference between the number in the margin and at the bottom of the screen. The number in the margin is the start of each new page of text.
If the margin number is always the same as the bottom of the screen, then you must have the perfect settings to get 1024 characters on the screen. My settings means there are about five lines difference
Old 12-21-2012, 06:26 AM   #185
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
The side margin numbers are only for epubs. In an earlier post today, I explained the difference. As I don't blame anyone for not reading that particular post, I'll copy the relevant part.

If the margin number is always the same as the bottom of the screen, then you must have the perfect settings to get 1024 characters on the screen. My settings means there are about five lines difference
Thanks davidfor I did actually read that post, but probably too quickly as I thought you'd said the same thing twice for both numbers. Re-reading it I now see the bottom number is per 1024 characters, while the side margin should change with every page turn.

I just had a look... it doesn't seem to be 100% correct. For some page turns, the side number disappears. So on page 48, I turn the page, and the number is gone. I turn another page, and the number re-appears, saying 49 (instead of 50). Confusing. Also, I find it confusing that the side number keeps changing location. What's the point?

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 12-21-2012 at 06:29 AM.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2012, 06:33 AM   #186
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks davidfor I did actually read that post, but probably too quickly as I thought you'd said the same thing twice for both numbers. Re-reading it I now see the bottom number is per 1024 characters, while the side margin should change with every page turn.
Both numbers are for 1024 character pages. The side number marks the beginning of a 1024 character page. The bottom number shows what 1024 page the first word on the screen is on. They will be the same if the side number is on the first line of the screen. If you use a large font, the bottom number will remain the same for several screens of text.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #187
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Great, glad I could help!

I don't really understand the function of this side-margin page number. It seems to only be for epubs... but, the page numbers the Kobo puts at the bottom of the page seem to work the same way... For me at least, the side margin and bottom margin page numbers are always the same...
Whereas the only time I see the two as the same is on the first page after a file break. Otherwise, the number at the bottom of the screen is the page the first character on the screen is on while the side numbers represent 1024 character blocks. If you go to the smallest font size, you can actually more than one page number down the side of the page. The first image I attached a few posts back shows page 92 and 93 down the side of the page while the bottom of the page shows page 92 of 259.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #188
Rainer Zenz
Groupie
Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch/Glo
2.3.1 is definitely too buggy (another factory reset, aargh!). I went back to 2.2.1. That's working well and stable.
Rainer Zenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:10 PM   #189
Jeff1192
Connoisseur
Jeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toys

Device: Kobo touch
I'm also getting my Kobo Touch going back a couple of pages after I turn it off and back on again. However, I've noticed that if I turn it off at the beginning of a new chapter it turns back on to the right page.
Jeff1192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:06 PM   #190
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Lynx-Lynx, Jaden,

That is very interesting. I would have expected that the same code was used to generate bookmark and the current reading position and put them back. But now I want a copy of a database to look at. Or the rows from it for the book and the bookmark. Anyone willing to send me a copy?
How do I send you a copy of my Glo's database?

I'm quite willing because I don't keep anything on it that isn't entirely expendable.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:14 PM   #191
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also for your research purposes, the book I tested on was:

Sony epub bought in the last few days

2009 edition

Hachette UK pub

Calibre cleaned and side loaded onto Glo main memory

There is an SD card in slot.

What is currently on the Glo has been downloaded after a total wipe of the drive - not just a factory reset - but delete all files showing on drive as attachment J or whatever it is when plugged in.

There is no enhancement software on the Glo, only Kobo software.

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 12-21-2012 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Pub details + no other software info
Old 12-21-2012, 05:24 PM   #192
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Both numbers are for 1024 character pages. The side number marks the beginning of a 1024 character page. The bottom number shows what 1024 page the first word on the screen is on. They will be the same if the side number is on the first line of the screen. If you use a large font, the bottom number will remain the same for several screens of text.
This is from memory from something I saw about a year ago when I first started playing around with the Touch, so forgive me if I'm wrong. I think that Adobe has a special tag that can be inserted into the html that delineates the physical page boundary.

So, the right margin page number should be the physical page number if the tag is present, otherwise it's the 1024 character boundary.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:31 PM   #193
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Unfortunately davidfor has limited Net access for the next week or so
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:34 PM   #194
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Ohh, not sure what that means .... maybe that he won't be posting?
Old 12-21-2012, 06:45 PM   #195
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Unfortunately davidfor has limited Net access for the next week or so
Starting tomorrow so I'll still be here annoying people today. If I don't get dragged out to do the Christmas shopping (and I cannot find an smiley that describes that horror).