Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 10-24-2011, 08:24 PM   #31
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
I'm looking for something for my Dad. He thinks he wants a tablet, and he's a big reader so the Vox looks good. But no Google Market? Maybe that's not a problem, but it kind of undercuts the "open" and no-need-to-root argument, doesn't it?

I'd give my Dad an eDGe, but it's too complicated for someone whose memory is not what it once was. I might have to look at Windows tablets, since that's what he knows. Or break down and go with an iPad since that's what my brothers have. ("You should see all the things they can do!") He'll use it to keep up with baseball, check the stock market, read, maybe Netflix, maybe Excel, email, video Skype. Any ideas??

Thanks!

Last edited by Filark; 10-24-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:43 PM   #32
glow
Book and Gadget Fan
glow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nooks GL3, ST w/GL, Color, HD+; Kindles Voyage & Paperwhite; PE, EE
Oh, I thought the Vox was supposed to have Market access. Was I misinformed?
glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2011, 12:07 AM   #33
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
Originally Posted by glow View Post
Oh, I thought the Vox was supposed to have Market access. Was I misinformed?
AFAIK, the Vox does have market access.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:59 AM   #34
glow
Book and Gadget Fan
glow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nooks GL3, ST w/GL, Color, HD+; Kindles Voyage & Paperwhite; PE, EE
Hmm, it seems unclear based on the wording here:
http://www.kobobooks.com/kobovox_apps
glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:21 AM   #35
Filark
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The link Nikkie posted has a question a few comments down that questions market access for the Vox, but the author says she has had "confirmation" that the Vox will have the Android Market. I was reading in other areas of MobileRead and thought the consensus was no official Google Market (judging by the 15000 free apps comment, mostly). If it were for me, I wouldn't care. But for Dad it might matter.

You would think Kobo would be more specific in their information if they really are providing access to the "Market." Not that anyone really needs more than 15,000 apps!
Advert
Old 10-25-2011, 01:57 AM   #36
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
The link Nikkie posted has a question a few comments down that questions market access for the Vox, but the author says she has had "confirmation" that the Vox will have the Android Market. I was reading in other areas of MobileRead and thought the consensus was no official Google Market (judging by the 15000 free apps comment, mostly). If it were for me, I wouldn't care. But for Dad it might matter.

You would think Kobo would be more specific in their information if they really are providing access to the "Market." Not that anyone really needs more than 15,000 apps!
My guess is that the 15,000 refers to apps from the marketplace that work with the Vox.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:58 AM   #37
Filark

Ah! Could be!
Old 10-25-2011, 06:56 AM   #38
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
If you look closely at the images on the kobo website, the market is GetJar, not Google. But that's not to say you can't use Amazon (in the US), handango, or any of the other places we non-market edge users find stuff.

5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:02 AM   #39
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
Also it's really annoying dealing with hacked firmware every time there's a real update by the maker. I prefer hardware that is open by nature - much easier to work with. I think the Kindle Fire will have a huge market, but I personally would choose a device with access to the marketplace and the same specs.

Have you guys seen the Kobo Vox? Same price as the Kindle Fire, but more open.
Looks nice! I love it, and the price!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:29 PM   #40
AmericanDane
AmericanDane began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
I love that the Kindle tablet has a USB port. Wish the NC did.
The nook color does have a USB port when you install CM7.1 - also this adds a limited range bluetooth and allows you to plug in USB drives to your Nook Color. The dev community is still working on the ability to use a USB camera and mic.
AmericanDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:28 AM   #41
lilly12
lilly12 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Hi

Is kindle fire is perfect for all ebooks or only amazon ebooks?
lilly12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:29 AM   #42
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilly12 View Post
Is kindle fire is perfect for all ebooks or only amazon ebooks?
That's a good question. The regular Kindles are restricted to Amazon and Kindle-compatible files (such as .prc, .pdf, .txt & .mobi), but the Fire, being a tablet, may be able to run apps that read other formats. My suspicion (but don't take this to the bank yet) is that it will have the capability to read other formats.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:51 AM   #43
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
That's a good question. The regular Kindles are restricted to Amazon and Kindle-compatible files (such as .prc, .pdf, .txt & .mobi), but the Fire, being a tablet, may be able to run apps that read other formats. My suspicion (but don't take this to the bank yet) is that it will have the capability to read other formats.
It's the Microsoft way!

(surround and embrace and suffocate! ).

I too suspect that other reading apps will be supported, but it remains to be seen. I also suspect that it will be rooted within hours of it's release which would open it to other reading apps.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote