Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 10-30-2011, 10:25 AM   #1
Vit-orekhov
Enthusiast
Vit-orekhov began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
OSs

What operating systems do we have on our PEs and EEs besides Android 1.6 and Android 2.2? Maybe it's possible to run Ubuntu, as Smart Devices SmartQ 7 does? Or Android 3.0?
Vit-orekhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:28 PM   #2
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Vit,

The big problem with what will run on an eDGe is, first the processor, second the other hardware and last how do you integrate it with the e-ink.

Other than that there's nothing stopping anyone from trying - just be very careful or you could end up with a door stop.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2011, 08:52 PM   #3
Tunney
Tunney began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge, & nook
That is a really good question, as these devices, as wonderful as they are, do seem to randomly die. Mine has been wonderful, but maybe too wonderful, and so I am waiting for that day when suddenly it's all over. To that end, I have been wondering-- would it be possible to install UBUNTU if my machines operating system went south. UBUNTU and Linux Mint saved several of my computers from the trash can. Is there a Linux save here too? After all, android is also Linux....(I am aware that the eInk screen would not work, but half an edge on Linux is better than a brick any day...)
Tunney
Tunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:53 AM   #4
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
If the unit dies because of hardware failure then no amount of changing the OS will revive it again.

It also appears that the PE, and I assume the EE, are not setup like most other Android devices. Couple that with the use of an old restricted command set CPU and you may find changing the OS rather difficult.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote