Notices

Old 09-07-2021, 11:34 PM   #1
mitch13
Groupie
mitch13 began at the beginning.

Device: Appraising the market
Duplicate books in "sub" libraries

Hi,
I have a main Calibre Library plus several sub-libraries under the main library. When books are sent to a sub-library it then tells me if any of these books are already in the sub-library which is very handy.
I was wondering if it would be possible to alter the duplicate check in this process so that it highlights those books that were duplicated. At the present it does advise which books are duplicated but if there are several it is sometimes difficult to remember them all when the duplicate app is closed.
If it highlighted all those rejected it would make it so much easier to delete them from the main library.

Regards

mitch13
mitch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 02:56 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Have you tried installing the Find Duplicates plugin to help with this? It offeres more comprehensive duplicate detection than is built into Calibre as standard.
itimpi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 04:37 AM   #3
mitch13
Groupie

Hi itimpi,
Thanks for your reply but it is a different problem compared to the plug-in mentioned. I have and use that plug-in but it only works on the library you are in not for example being in the main library and sending books to a sub-library to disclose duplicates in the sub-library
Old 09-08-2021, 04:48 AM   #4
capink
Wizard
capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Find Duplicates plugin can do cross-library duplicates check. Check the "Find library duplicates" menu option.
capink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 07:30 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch13 View Post
Hi itimpi,
Thanks for your reply but it is a different problem compared to the plug-in mentioned. I have and use that plug-in but it only works on the library you are in not for example being in the main library and sending books to a sub-library to disclose duplicates in the sub-library
RIGHT-CLICK menus are Everyone's friend
Find Library Duplicates.
Note: The library must be accessible from the PC (And Yes, it works on Windows Network Shares. I believe it does no harm *IF* you don't try and delete the Remote Duplicate. or make any changes to it. as always YMMV)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 08:49 AM   #6
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Hi itimpi,
I understand your use case: I look for items in a library that are in a different library, and it works fine. As @theducks have said, Find duplicates between libraries is an item in the Find Duplicates menu.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 01:04 AM   #7
mitch13
Groupie

Hello the ducks,
No, I have confused this issue. Your suggestion results in finding duplicates in the sub-library which I can do by going to the sub-library and running "Find Duplicates" and removing them as required.
When I download books/magazines I put them all in the main Calibre library. I then go through and transfer any that relate to one of my sub-libraries. If there are a few to transfer I go through and highlight them. When selected are highlighted I right-click one of them. select copy to library, select the sub-library I want and choose the 'delete after copy' option.
This may comes back and tell me there are duplicate books in the sub-library. What I want is for this response to highlight in the main library those books/magazines that have struck a duplicate in the sub-library. Otherwise the problem arises if there are many duplicates that I have to try and remember a long list of say magazines which disappears when I decide to close the transfer. I need to delete from the main library as they are already in the sub-library.
I know the alternative would be to download relative books directly to the sub-library and letting it tell me about duplicates which I then do not download them. The trouble of this option is that it can be very hard to decide prior to download whether a book/magazine belongs to either one sub-library or another eg WWI or WWII .

Cheers

mitch13
Old 09-09-2021, 01:27 AM   #8
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Hello the ducks,
No, I have confused this issue. Your suggestion results in finding duplicates in the sub-library which I can do by going to the sub-library and running "Find Duplicates" and removing them as required.
When I download books/magazines I put them all in the main Calibre library. I then go through and transfer any that relate to one of my sub-libraries. If there are a few to transfer I go through and highlight them. When selected are highlighted I right-click one of them. select copy to library, select the sub-library I want and choose the 'delete after copy' option.
This may comes back and tell me there are duplicate books in the sub-library. What I want is for this response to highlight in the main library those books/magazines that have struck a duplicate in the sub-library. Otherwise the problem arises if there are many duplicates that I have to try and remember a long list of say magazines which disappears when I decide to close the transfer. I need to delete from the main library as they are already in the sub-library.
I know the alternative would be to download relative books directly to the sub-library and letting it tell me about duplicates which I then do not download them. The trouble of this option is that it can be very hard to decide prior to download whether a book/magazine belongs to either one sub-library or another eg WWI or WWII .

Cheers

mitch13
As far as I know, if you are in the main library and use "Find Duplicates" in the main library, the plugin itself mark the duplicated libraries and they are selected they alone in the main library. Mine does it, at least.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 04:29 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
It is all about perspective.
If you want to find the unwanted: Run FROM the place they should be:The sub Library.

Why do you call it a SUB? It is a separate Library that was spun off from a different one. I also have a 'Magazine" Library because it has a different STRUCTURE (custom columns) than the MainLib.

OTOH a VL is a SUB VIEW (but you can't remove books, only adjust the filter to exclude)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 04:29 AM   #10
mitch13
Groupie

Hi Terisa de Morgan.
Yes, you are correct but I am not using "Find Duplicates" in query I am asking about. Thanks for your reply though.
mitch13
Old 09-13-2021, 12:31 AM   #11
mitch13
Groupie

Hello theducks,

I am sorry but your reply does not make sense to me .Obviously I am missing something. OK. I just use the name Sub library because they are all in the Calibre set up. Now, as an example, I just tried to move about 18 magazines from the main Calibre library to my Magazine library, It has just rejected as duplicates nine of this transfer showing a list of them. The problem then arises how do I remember details of these nine to delete from my Calibre library? What I was asking, is it possible in this transfer process to just highlight the ones it shows as duplicates so a simple hit delete removes the highlighted magazines? Sure, I can copy them to the clip board then go through and select them for deletion but seems a slow process.

Cheers

mitch13
Old 09-13-2021, 01:14 AM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
To be a bit repetitive, run the Find Duplicates plugin in library mode from your main library pointing the library to check for duplicates to your magazine library and delete the files indicated as duplicates before you do the transfer.

See the attached images for the dropdown menu and the cross library search options. In my case, I am searching my main library for duplicates of books in my intake library before cleaning them up.

For your use case, use the file browser beside the library name box to select your Magazine library, set the title/author bits as you want and click on okay.

Pretty easy-peasy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	find_duplicates_menu.png
Views:	79
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	189223   Click image for larger version

Name:	find_duplicates_crosslibrary.png
Views:	72
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	189224  

Last edited by DNSB; 09-13-2021 at 01:16 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 04:29 AM   #13
mitch13
Groupie

David,

Many thanks. That approach is not what I expected but with your notes on it - great. Provides the answer I needed. Thanks to everyone that tried to explain an answer to my problem. All good now.

Regards
mitch13

Tags
duplicates