Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-28-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
knauck
root
knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Paperwhite internal USB?

I know there has been minimal hacking of the hardware itself on the kpw, but does anyone know which if any of the contact pads are usb ports? I have found two sets which I think may be, but I am loathe to try them out without confirmation for fear of frying something.
knauck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by knauck View Post
I know there has been minimal hacking of the hardware itself on the kpw, but does anyone know which if any of the contact pads are usb ports? I have found two sets which I think may be, but I am loathe to try them out without confirmation for fear of frying something.
Photos would help a lot to see what you are writing about.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
knauck
root
knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.

Photos wouldn't really help. I'm asking if anyone has confirmed a location so far. I found a couple candidates, but pictures wouldn't do much except let others say,"Huh. Yep, looks like that might be a USB pinout! Why don't you try it and tell us how it goes?"

Besides, I'm at work and not next to my tools.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:52 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Photos wouldn't really help. I'm asking if anyone has confirmed a location so far. I found a couple candidates, but pictures wouldn't do much except let others say,"Huh. Yep, looks like that might be a USB pinout! Why don't you try it and tell us how it goes?"

Besides, I'm at work and not next to my tools.
Nobody has confirmed locations for anything other than the serial port connections, which are posted.

The answer should be obvious for the need of photos -
We can't try it because we don't have a way to tell what connection points you are looking at as possibles.

Last edited by knc1; 08-28-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #5
knauck
root

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Nobody has confirmed locations for anything other than the serial port connections, which are posted.

The answer should be obvious for the need of photos -
We can't try it because we don't have a way to tell what connection points you are looking at as possibles.
I'm not asking about what I've discovered. Like I said in the first and second posts, I was asking if any have already been found.

Since you seem to insist on a picture for some reason, here's one where one possible set happen to show up in.
https://copy.com/MqdB1m3aPLBVSAF7
Note the four gold pads near the EInk display ribbon cable. They could easily be related to debugging the panel as QC before shipment, but hey. You never know.

EDIT: They are used for something at some point of the manufacture process. I deduce this from the fact that there are very small pin-tip size scars on them in all three kpw's I've disassembled to date.

Last edited by knauck; 08-28-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:07 PM   #6
Sideromelane
FYIAD
Sideromelane has much to be proud ofSideromelane has much to be proud ofSideromelane has much to be proud ofSideromelane has much to be proud ofSideromelane has much to be proud ofSideromelane has much to be proud ofSideromelane has much to be proud ofSideromelane has much to be proud ofSideromelane has much to be proud ofSideromelane has much to be proud ofSideromelane has much to be proud of

Quote:
I'm not asking about what I've discovered. Like I said in the first and second posts, I was asking if any have already been found.

Since you seem to insist on a picture for some reason, here's one where one possible set happen to show up in.
Note the four gold pads near the EInk display ribbon cable. They could easily be related to debugging the panel as QC before shipment, but hey. You never know.
At a guess, it's a debug pinout for the digitizer, which iirc is a serial device.
Sideromelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
knauck
root

lsusb gives me:
Code:
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 1949:9001
I did a cursory check of the PCI databases, but neither vendor ID returned a name. No idea what the devices are related to yet.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Quote:
Was I not clear?
Old 08-29-2013, 09:43 AM   #9
knauck
root

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Was I not clear?
Quote:
<snip>
"Was" is past tense. Implying that you answered that question.
Quote:
was
/wəz/
1. first and third person singular past of be.

And for the record, someone can easily have discovered one without disclosing it to you or the rest of this forum, either because they didn't think anyone would care or because doing so just didn't occur to them at the moment. Hence this question remaining open, so that if someone did or does eventually find one, they may say so if they choose.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:44 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:

EDIT: They are used for something at some point of the manufacture process. I deduce this from the fact that there are very small pin-tip size scars on them in all three kpw's I've disassembled to date.
Those are most likely for loading the waveform calibration eeprom on the cable.

Which is on one of either the SPI or I2C buses.
You should be able to confirm using the appropriate utilities to 'walk' those buses.

Quote:
lsusb gives me:
Code:
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 1949:9001
I did a cursory check of the PCI databases, but neither vendor ID returned a name. No idea what the devices are related to yet.
Those are the two USB buses brought out from the SoC.
The internal 'host' bus interface and the external 'OTG' bus interface.
More details available in the Freescale manuals on the mx508 SoC.

The internal USB bus appears on the 3G connector, on standardized pins for that hardware interface.
Check the published documentation on that connector's pin-out for details.