Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-15-2013, 02:05 AM   #76
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
What I can conclude from this thread is that there is definitely an interest for the device but not at the current price. Will be interesting to see the sales-figures after 1-2 months in the store.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:11 PM   #77
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Did not read this thread till now.

When I saw it at Best Buy for $399 I just walked away without even trying anything. I see a quick price drop on this coming real soon.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2013, 01:05 PM   #78
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
And you had to walk a mile barefoot in the snow to get there, uphill both ways!
you betcha!

Least we leave that Socrates likely never taught in classrooms with tables it was Stadium seating for all or pull up of patch of grass. The course the lack of writing material in that era was probably the reason that necessitated the creation of the Socratic method right?
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:50 PM   #79
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

While an 8" device is probably too small for my bear paws, I suspect I would have done whatever it took to get a device like this in college. I remember one of my HP programmable calculators cost me around 600 bucks my freshman year. And that was swell, ahem, a while ago.

I like the 10.1 inch but even that's a little bit small. the 16:10 screen ratio helps a little bit. its a vastly better than that 16:9 ratio display.

I've have an Asus 10.1 inch. It's actually surprisingly serviceable. The wait is fine and if I want to use it one handed I have a nice slim line case that, once opened up, has an internal elastic band which security to my hand and helps distribute the weight in the palm nicely. I was actually skeptical myself but once I got this configuration I've been okay with it. But it doesn't have an active digitizer like the note 2. The capacitive screens just pretty much stink on ice. So bad as to be all but usable for handwriting anything longer then a dozen words. still, for annotating PDF's or other type things is adequate not spectacular but adequate. I could see a note with an active digitizer would really really be great.

To me though it's not the size of the device that's a concern. What concerns me is the software used on the devices. Study management or research management software is generally pretty abysmal. From my reading about the Notes, and I haven't really done more than play around with the Note(s) of whatever flavor, but Samsung seems to have done a fairly well received job on apps that utilize the S Pen and geared toward the needs of the demographic for this family of devices.

I guess I'm trying to point out that the software on these Samsung devices represents a not insignificant part of the cost of the device. Samsung spent a lot of resources developing what appears to be very solid software to utilize the S Pen well. Its not like one of these cheap crummy thrown together Android tablets. I count my Asus tf300 as one of those types of tablets. Its okay but its nothing special.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:41 PM   #80
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Actually the best app for taking classroom notes is LectureNote, its ink capability is even better than S-Note, though it can't translate to digital text, instead it uses an index paradigm to make notes searchable.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2013, 07:53 AM   #81
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Actually the best app for taking classroom notes is LectureNote, its ink capability is even better than S-Note, though it can't translate to digital text, instead it uses an index paradigm to make notes searchable.
Thanks for the direct comparison to something I'm familiar with. I have lecture notes on my tf300t and were it not for the horrible experience of using capacitive screens for writing I think its just a wonderful app. Even has uh halfway decent palm rejection. I'm impressed with its ability to mix hand written content when typed content. You can stick graphics in there just anything. And I know this is silly but one of the things I really like about it is I can switch to graph paper rather than ruled lines.

Interesting to know that it's if not as good as maybe in a little bit better than s note. pretty much every review I've come across have all been very positive.

For me I find that I can type for faster than I can hand write. My hope was I'd be able to type up whatever it was I was working on then go in after the fact in market it up whatever else needed done.

I suspect I'm really just approaching the point in life where I honestly don't care about keeping up with technology anymore. pretty much for my whole working career it's been one promise after another from technology only to see it fall far short of their promises. Usually it's after the CEO gets their paws on the project in veers away from making quality products in favor of just doing the bare minimum to maximize profits.

I remember back in 1993 at Comdex in Las Vegas Avery in combination with I can't remember what company came out with a yellow pad paradigm device. They made all manner of promises for it and I don't even know if it ever survived beyond 93. Maybe that is what has me so interested in the Samsung Note family they have the same 'feel/buzz' as the electronic yellow pad from 1993.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:31 AM   #82
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think we can expect a serious effort from Samsung when it comes to devices with stylus support also in the future, especially since they bought a considerable share in Wacom: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Sam...nes,20845.html

Quote:
Samsung has proven its dedication to the stylus pen through a sizable investment in Wacom, a company that accounts for 85 percent of the worldwide pen tablet market.

The South Korean technology giant is investing $58.9 million in Wacom
Wacoms response to the investment:
Quote:
the sale of shares will be invested in "product development and manufacturing and supply system enhancements for products to be supplied to Samsung Electronics." It also aims to "expand its relationship" with Samsung further.

Last edited by thinkpad; 04-16-2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:56 AM   #83
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good news, me like.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:06 AM   #84
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness

I like it! But I'm a tad Pollyanna when reading things INTO news about my fav toys...errrr... tools, I meant tools... these are not the 'Droid Toys you are looking for...
Old 04-22-2013, 06:53 AM   #85
thinkpad
David

The WiFi version are now in stock from some of the big online stores here in Norway. I'm still on the fence waiting for some user reviews and the release of the 4G version which will be released in a month.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:16 PM   #86
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Well, after spending some time with it in Best Buy, I went ahead and bought one. While value for the money may be somewhat lacking, it's got some very nice features to it. I don't find the build quality as plastic-y as some of the reviewers claim. Over all, it seems very quite well made.
I do have a couple of small gripes, though. I use tablets at work, many times marking up wiring diagrams or machine drawings in pdf format. The pen is essential for this, and since my hands are often quite dirty I usually keep a spare in my shirt pocket, rather than undocking the (quite small and slippery) stylus. The Note 8 will not recognize stylus input unless the pen is undocked, so I either must use the integrated pen or leave it undocked and chance lossing it (been there, done that). The other gripe I have is the lack of flash for the camera - again, another work related gripe. Machine innards are often dark places...
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:32 PM   #87
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Lisa at MobileTechReview has her review posted. She was only able to get 5.5 hours of run time in her tests. Much shorter than the iPad mini and Fire HD 8.9 according to her.

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/tabl...axy-Note-8.htm
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:13 PM   #88
savbeowulf
Enthusiast
savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD Ivory
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Lisa at MobileTechReview has her review posted. She was only able to get 5.5 hours of run time in her tests. Much shorter than the iPad mini and Fire HD 8.9 according to her.

Just read it and with a 4600mah battery it'll last all day just like my note 2 the battery life is excellent. The 5.5 hours run time according to that review is for continuous video playing she doesn't quote battery life under normal usage conditions. I would consider myself a heavy phone user if I'm honest and I took my phone off charge this morning at 0900hrs and as I type it's 0211hrs and my note 2 is still at 7% which is over 17hrs since the charger was unplugged. Hope this helps!
savbeowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:49 PM   #89
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
Well, after spending some time with it in Best Buy, I went ahead and bought one. While value for the money may be somewhat lacking, it's got some very nice features to it. I don't find the build quality as plastic-y as some of the reviewers claim. Over all, it seems very quite well made.
I do have a couple of small gripes, though. I use tablets at work, many times marking up wiring diagrams or machine drawings in pdf format. The pen is essential for this, and since my hands are often quite dirty I usually keep a spare in my shirt pocket, rather than undocking the (quite small and slippery) stylus. The Note 8 will not recognize stylus input unless the pen is undocked, so I either must use the integrated pen or leave it undocked and chance lossing it (been there, done that). The other gripe I have is the lack of flash for the camera - again, another work related gripe. Machine innards are often dark places...
Go into settings and S-Pen, change the setting for battery save, that will make it recognize s pen even if the original is in its holder.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:10 AM   #90
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post

Cnet is reporting 8.5 hrs, but in airplane mode and with a measured brightness.
Quote:
We evaluate battery life by continually running a movie file on the tablet until its battery dies.

We set each tablet to Airplane mode and adjust its respective brightnesses to 150 candelas per square meter (cd/M2) or as close to that number as possible.
Interesting to note that the Note 8's maximum brightness was tested at 458 cd/m2, where the iPad Mini and Kindle Fire HD were 399 cd/m2 and 394 cd/m2. I found 50% brightness almost painful in a normally lit room though it would probably be fine in a brightly lit room ( note to self - try 100% outdoors. ). I keep it to about 18-20%.

Just a personal example of battery life (this is before any full discharge cycles, so the meter may not be fully calibrated!) - I fully charged before setting up and spent 6 hrs with the screen set to always on. Wifi was on the full time and I down loaded 5.67Gb of apps and media from the internet and my NAS. The battery read 44% when I shut down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Go into settings and S-Pen, change the setting for battery save, that will make it recognize s pen even if the original is in its holder.
Thanks! That setting isn't on my Note1, so I missed that.
K to you

(Oops - Need to spread some more Karma before I can zap you again, so Virtual Karma in the mean time.)

Last edited by 5thWiggle; 04-23-2013 at 08:14 AM.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote