Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 03-15-2010, 08:23 AM   #46
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
The firmware upgrade links are not working for me so I went directly to PBGlobal. But they have only the November release 101.14.2

Any suggestions?
Please hold on. We just changed the links. Will be available as soon as possible. Updated!

Last edited by mtravellerh; 03-15-2010 at 08:38 AM.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:40 AM   #47
Forkosigan
Wizard
Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.

Device: Pocketbook Touch (622)
New Firmware 15.1 for PB360°
http://pocketbook-global.com/downloa...e_ws_v15_1.zip

New Firmware 15.1 for PB301+
http://pocketbook-global.com/downloa...e_ws_v15_1.zip
Forkosigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:50 AM   #48
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkosigan View Post
It's already available in the first post.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:15 AM   #49
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
Thanks guys. All went smoothly.

My two wishes for ADE were granted -- choice of six font sizes and right-hand page numbers are small enough to be insignificant.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:46 PM   #50
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
It's already available in the first post.
Sorry, is this another new firmware? Should I reflash again?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:49 PM   #51
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sorry, is this another new firmware? Should I reflash again?
Nah, it's okay. We just changed the compression for the 360°. There was a problem with the 301 (older hardware) and that firmware was rectified.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:51 PM   #52
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thanks - and thanks for making the new downloads ZIP files .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:19 PM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulli View Post
DRM is something like an encryption. IMHO It is that slow because of the DRM and the "slow" CPU (400 MHz) in the 360.
No.. My 505 has a slower CPU and it opens ePub with DRM without an issue. So it's just a bug in the firmware. Nothing wrong with the CPU.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:23 PM   #54
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No.. My 505 has a slower CPU and it opens ePub with DRM without an issue. So it's just a bug in the firmware. Nothing wrong with the CPU.
Jon is right. There shouldn't be a difference between drmed and free ePub opening times.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:40 PM   #55
mishaikin
mishaikin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mishaikin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mishaikin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mishaikin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 360
Quote:
Jon is right. There shouldn't be a difference between drmed and free ePub opening times.
Just for the record - 1min and 2 seconds for adobeviewer to open a 365 pages book bought from ebooks.com. At least gives me a time to prepare a coffee.
The fbreader opens the LOTR for less than 10 seconds.
mishaikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:37 PM   #56
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishaikin View Post
Just for the record - 1min and 2 seconds for adobeviewer to open a 365 pages book bought from ebooks.com. At least gives me a time to prepare a coffee.
The fbreader opens the LOTR for less than 10 seconds.
Oh my. That is NOT normal. But maybe the epub code is bad. That can slow down opening times.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:55 PM   #57
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Everyone familiar with manga and comics knows the expression fanservice, as when certain content is added to a comic or manga only in order to cater to their audience. However, I had not ever imagined I'd be coining the expression for actual customer support and service. It's about time.

I've been kindly approached by a GfK in order to hand my translation. I'd be glad to do so in the future ^^. Big Kudos for you all!
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:58 PM   #58
mishaikin
mishaikin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mishaikin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mishaikin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mishaikin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Oh my. That is NOT normal. But maybe the epub code is bad. That can slow down opening times.
How can I tell? I paid 15 bucks for it. Once opened it seems ok.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:48 PM   #59
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishaikin View Post
How can I tell? I paid 15 bucks for it. Once opened it seems ok.
It may not necessarily be bad code; just stupid production values.
Never mind the page count: what's the file size? I've generally found file size to be the best predictor of load times. Anything over 1MB is going to take time enough to be noticeable and anything over 2MB will make you wonder if its hung-up. (Which, so far, has never happened to me. But I *have seen load times of 5-plus minutes.)

The ePub standard allows a lot of crap to be designated as mandatory and bundled in to the file; graphics, hardwired formatting, fonts... You can even have an ebook that is nothing but scanned images. (Basically they did their best to turn an HTML/XML based format into a PDF.)

eBook-savvy publishers know to ignore all that optional stuff and use good web/page layout practices. Others... don't. So some epubs (and commercial ones are the worst offenders) are bloated with junk.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:09 PM   #60
mishaikin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
It may not necessarily be bad code; just stupid production values.
Never mind the page count: what's the file size? I've generally found file size to be the best predictor of load times. Anything over 1MB is going to take time enough to be noticeable and anything over 2MB will make you wonder if its hung-up. (Which, so far, has never happened to me. But I *have seen load times of 5-plus minutes.)
645 kB - it doesn't seem so much. I tried another epub, no drm, 311 kB - less than 5 seconds to load.