Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-12-2007, 06:42 AM   #16
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by segatang
Hi, thanks a lot your replies.
Will Sony Reader natively support Asians fonts in TXT or RTF documents?
No they won't because the fonts are not embedded. You need PDF for this, and maybe LRF when it'll work a bit more.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 08:35 AM   #17
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
You shouldn't unplug it when the screen saying "don't disconnect" is there, Scotty. When you exit the "Connect" software that message goes away and is replaced by the "USB Connected" screen. At that point it's safe to disconnect.

What fix is that?
Right on that Harry!

The Reader is totally dependant on Connect software. When you plug it, until you start connect, it does'nt appear anywhere on your computer. I suppose it is part of DRM protocol.

Some of the SD flash card problems may come from the fact that they were removed before Connect was shut down.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2007, 03:49 PM   #18
Gameboy70
Connoisseur
Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, 3rd Gen iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
The Reader is totally dependant on Connect software. When you plug it, until you start connect, it does'nt appear anywhere on your computer. I suppose it is part of DRM protocol.
Not being able to see Reader files in Windows Explorer is frustrating. I tried transfering a PDF yesterday to the Reader, but it never showed up on Connect or the Reader itself. The file did show on the Memory Stick on Explorer, but nowhere else. This "invisible to Windows" crippleware definitely needs to be hacked.
Gameboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:06 PM   #19
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameboy70
Not being able to see Reader files in Windows Explorer is frustrating. I tried transfering a PDF yesterday to the Reader, but it never showed up on Connect or the Reader itself. The file did show on the Memory Stick on Explorer, but nowhere else. This "invisible to Windows" crippleware definitely needs to be hacked.
I don't think that should be happening.

Did you put the Memory Stick in an external card reader attached to your computer, then move the file using Windows Explorer? If so, it should show up on the Reader, and in Connect when you plug the Reader into the computer. If not, either there's a problem with the file or where you placed it.

The MS should have a file tree on it, which the Reader will generate when you first put it in the device. Put your file in the directory /Sony Reader/books/ and you should be good to go. If it doesn't show, make sure the file name hasn't got any weird characters in it and is reasonably short and has a .pdf extension.

Note that the Reader will NOT show up as a device in Windows Explorer.

Let us know how it works!

Cheers,
Bob
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 03:32 PM   #20
Gameboy70
Connoisseur
Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, 3rd Gen iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobVA
I don't think that should be happening.

Did you put the Memory Stick in an external card reader attached to your computer, then move the file using Windows Explorer? If so, it should show up on the Reader, and in Connect when you plug the Reader into the computer. If not, either there's a problem with the file or where you placed it.

The MS should have a file tree on it, which the Reader will generate when you first put it in the device. Put your file in the directory /Sony Reader/books/ and you should be good to go. If it doesn't show, make sure the file name hasn't got any weird characters in it and is reasonably short and has a .pdf extension.

Note that the Reader will NOT show up as a device in Windows Explorer.

Let us know how it works!

Cheers,
Bob
I'm not having a problem with view the files in the MS. I was complaining about the Reader not showing up. You would think that after the rootkit debacle, Sony's devices would be more transparent, not less. I would just avoid the main memory entirely and just stick everything on the MS if I didn't need the Collections feature.

I know I'm tilting at windmills on this one. Just need to vent.
Gameboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2007, 07:10 PM   #21
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameboy70
I'm not having a problem with view the files in the MS. I was complaining about the Reader not showing up.
Ah! Yep - that's annoying, but I'm not sure how the DRM would work if the CONNECT software wasn't mediating the file purchases, device authorizations and subsequent transfers etc.

Cheers,
Bob
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 01:05 AM   #22
evil_bunny
Enthusiast
evil_bunny began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony T1, iPhone 5S, iPad 3rd Gen
Perhaps ... they have removed the odd white and purple color scheme.
evil_bunny is offline   Reply With Quote