Notices

Old 10-23-2014, 02:33 PM   #1
rosshalde
Zealot
rosshalde began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Paragraph Spacing Issue Similar to Phyllis

Hi everybody.
I am brand new to Sigil and have no coding experience other than the bit I just looked at by going through the entire Sigil tutorial, so please speak to me as if I know nothing, which is right.

I took a Pages file on my Mac and exported it as an Epub. I then used this Epub to open in Sigil.

Problems
1) When I view the original Epub - from Pages - there are no spacing issues at all between paragraphs.

2)When I take that same Epub to be my starting file in Sigil, each paragraph seems to have 3 or 4 additional unnecessary spaces introduced.

3)I read through the Phyllis thread from last week, but was fairly lost. Is there some simple reason for all these extra spaces?

4)From what I can see Sigil has many more tools to make my Epubs look nice, but I need to get over this glaring formatting issue first.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
rosshalde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 04:05 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Blank Lines in Codeview have no effect of the book view, it just makes the code easier to read where a piece starts and ends

Code:
<p class="foo">Stuff</p>

<p class="foo">MoreStuff</p>
Margin top/bottom in the .foo CSS style sets the paragraph gap
Margin left/right sets the edges
Text-indent sets the paragraph indent
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2014, 04:16 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Blank Lines in Codeview have no effect of the book view, it just makes the code easier to read where a piece starts and ends

Code:
<p class="foo">Stuff</p>

<p class="foo">MoreStuff</p>
Margin top/bottom in the .foo CSS style sets the paragraph gap
Margin left/right sets the edges
Text-indent sets the paragraph indent
Better coding is to forget .foo and use just <p> and set the p style in CSS. It's just crazy to have all those class statements for p when they aren't actually needed at all.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 04:27 PM   #4
rosshalde
Zealot

the spaces are in the final exported EPUB.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:32 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosshalde View Post
the spaces are in the final exported EPUB.
Forget wolfman's way. YOU get no control that way.

<p> uses the Device settings.
<p class="foo"> at least gives you a chance (the device might still ignore user stylesheets)
Advert
Old 10-23-2014, 04:49 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Forget wolfman's way. YOU get no control that way.

<p> uses the Device settings.
<p class="foo"> at least gives you a chance (the device might still ignore user stylesheets)
That's just so way wrong.

Code:
p {
margin-top: 2%;
margin-bottom: 42em;
margin-left: 15em;
margin-right 1px;
font-weight: bold;
text-indent: 1.2em;
text-align: center
}
That is a p style that overrides whatever the default is for p and makes p a horrible mess.

This is what I use for p that is a lot more normal and works.

[code]p {
margin-top: 0;
margin-bottom: 0;
text-indent: 1.2em
}[code]

I don't specify left/right margins in p as they are specified in body and work from there. Justification is also picked up from body.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:11 PM   #7
rosshalde
Zealot

Here is an example from Sigil. I include the code at the top as well as the actual document at the bottom.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en">
<head>
<title>4 CHAPTER IV – BEELZEBUB | Recruit Tommy Collins</title>
<link href="../Styles/book.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
<meta content="42FEEF08-4A8D-41D9-B35A-7766FCCBCC7A" name="EPB-UUID" />
</head>

<body>
<div class="body" style="white-spacere-wrap">
<h3>CHAPTER IV – BEELZEBUB</h3>

<p class="s1 s2">&nbsp;</p>

<p class="s1 s2">TOMMY and his jet-black pony, Nig, soon came to be the most devoted of friends. Together with his old friend Flannigan, or his new friend, a young Corporal in K troop, the crack rider of the whole squadron, Tommy, on Nig, scoured the plains adjacent to the fort. Great rivalry existed between the two men as to which should teach the boy the most, so that by the time Tommy was seven, there wasn’t a trick or a daring feat of horsemanship the boy could not do.</p>

<p class="s1 s2">“He beats Buffalo Bill and his Wild West all holler,” Sergeant Collins would proudly say.</p>

<p class="s1 s2">The fame of the boy and his pony had traveled far and wide, and numerous invitations to attend races and county fairs were showered upon them. Some of the near-by ones he had been allowed to attend, where he and Nig invariably walked off with the prizes.</p>

<p class="s1 s2">That summer Tommy made his first girl friend; all the girls he knew were babies, and no good to play with.</p>

TOMMY and his jet-black pony, Nig, soon came to be the most devoted of friends. Together with his old friend Flannigan, or his new friend, a young Corporal in K troop, the crack rider of the whole squadron, Tommy, on Nig, scoured the plains adjacent to the fort. Great rivalry existed between the two men as to which should teach the boy the most, so that by the time Tommy was seven, there wasn’t a trick or a daring feat of horsemanship the boy could not do.

“He beats Buffalo Bill and his Wild West all holler,” Sergeant Collins would proudly say.

The fame of the boy and his pony had traveled far and wide, and numerous invitations to attend races and county fairs were showered upon them. Some of the near-by ones he had been allowed to attend, where he and Nig invariably walked off with the prizes.

That summer Tommy made his first girl friend; all the girls he knew were babies, and no good to play with.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:12 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

What you do is Your style
What I do is my Style
You always word your posts as Your way is the only way.

The only Wrong way is the one that will not ever work.

My way is not the 'Best Way', The Best way, is one that works well on the most devices.

My way just has to work on MY devices.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:16 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
We would also need to see the css in book.css
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:21 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
What I do is my Style

My way is not the 'Best Way', The Best way, is one that works well on the most devices.

I never said it was my way. I said it was a better way.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:59 PM   #11
rosshalde
Zealot

Here is book.css

p{
margin: 0px;
}
h3{
color: #000000;
font-size: 100.0000%;
font-style: normal;
font-variant: normal;
letter-spacing: 0.0000em;
margin-bottom: 0.0000%;
margin-top: 0.0000%;
padding-left: 0.0000%;
padding-right: 0.0000%;
text-align: center;
text-decoration: none;
text-indent: 0.0000%;
text-transform: none;
}
sup{
font-size: 67%;
vertical-align: 33%;
}
sub{
font-size: 67%;
vertical-align: -10%;
}
.s1{
color: #000000;
font-size: 75.0000%;
font-style: normal;
font-variant: normal;
font-weight: normal;
letter-spacing: 0.0000em;
margin-bottom: 0.0000%;
margin-top: 0.0000%;
padding-left: 0.0000%;
padding-right: 0.0000%;
text-align: left;
text-decoration: none;
text-indent: 0.0000%;
text-transform: none;
}
.s2{
text-align: justify;
text-indent: 5.8824%;
white-space: normal;
}
.s3{
font-size: 100.0000%;
}
.s4{
}
.s5{
}
.c1{
font-style: italic;
}
.c2{
font-size: 68.7500%;
}
Old 10-23-2014, 06:57 PM   #12
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
What I do is my Style

Ducky, my one Twoo Wuv:

It is true that you can specify your base p style in your stylesheet, just as solidly and successfully as you can set p class="foo". I mean...arguably, if you have a device that's going to ignore your set base p settings, don't you think it would ignore p class="foo," too? (, placed for grammar, not coding).

In this instance, our Resident Curmudgeon is not actually WRONG. Nor are you, really, but I admit I don't understand why you think that p, if it's styled in the CSS, wouldn't be obeyed, if foo would be. To be clear, of course, I concur: if p is not styled, you run what you brung, as they say. But if it is...?

Thoughts?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:08 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

folk
I prefer to explicitly define my <p> tags only because I don't use only one style for <p>. If I see a raw <p>, I goofed

And, no, I never intended to infer that one way would work and the other would not.
What I was trying to convey is the Device may ignore some styling in general, No mater how good your code, it ignores your CSS wishes
Old 10-23-2014, 08:33 PM   #14
rosshalde
Zealot

I found this code on Sigil's FAQ
body, div, p, h1, h2, h3, h4 { margin: 0; padding: 0; }
I put that in the css and applied it to all my html files, but no dice still.
any other suggestions?
Old 10-23-2014, 08:38 PM   #15
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
folk
I prefer to explicitly define my <p> tags only because I don't use only one style for <p>. If I see a raw <p>, I goofed
Yabbut, if you have a large group of similar paras, say, a simple first-line indent for a fiction body, wouldn't it be faster/easier just to use the base p for that, and then style your other paragraphs however you want? Hell, Ducks, my love, if you saw one of our ePUBs, you'd have a cow. We determine the base p style, set it, and then ONLY class the other p classes. I mean, we have dozens of p styles in any given book--say, copyright-page, copyright-page-2em (space above the paragraph), copyright-page-no-space (flush-left, no top/bottom margin), copyright-page-center (just what it says), etc. Hell, that's just one page. (These aren't the actual class names; I'm making them obvious for the purpose of discussion). To me, from a trouble-shooting standpoint, I'm happier if I know that all the plain old, plain old p's are just that: the base. Whatever I decided that would be. Then I know that everything else is, well, something ELSE.

Quote:
And, no, I never intended to infer that one way would work and the other would not.
What I was trying to convey is the Device may ignore some styling in general, No mater how good your code, it ignores your CSS wishes
Yes, but...as I was saying, if it will ignore what is in your CSS, it will ignore what's in your CSS, won't it? I mean, if your device ignores, say, copyright-page-2em, it will likely ignore p, as well. It's more likely to ignore the other classes than what you set as P, in my opinion.

HOWEVER: we all know that there are a bajillion ways to make a book. Your way, my way, Wolfie the Curmudgeon's way...within certain reasonable standards, they all work. (Not counting emoties. I'm still recovering from that one.)

;-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote