Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 06-03-2010, 08:11 AM   #1
dcubed2
Edge User

dosbox for android?

To all who are more knowledgeable and adventurous, I found an android dosbox port, http:// androiddosbox.appspot.com/ I don't have an external keyboard yet, so it wouldn't work for me right now, but I'd love to know if it works on the EE with the keyboard. Anyone up to trying it?

There are a lot of old games that would be a kick to play on the eDGe

Old 06-17-2010, 11:08 AM   #2
kenjennings
Edge User

Haven't tried it yet, but I notice the install directions require(?) using adb on another computer. I thought I read somewhere that adb requires the edge be root'd first? (Or is that not so?)

Advert
Old 06-17-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
kenjennings
Edge User

Furthermore, there is a MAME for Android. But, so far it runs a limited handful of games where the "standard" Mame runs thousands. http://g-arcade.appspot.com/

Old 06-17-2010, 01:31 PM   #4
dcubed2
Edge User

Thanks, Ken, for looking into it. I have no idea if the eDGe would need to be rooted, I hope not. I wouldn't root the eDGe, mostly because I'd have no idea what I'd be doing. Mame looks interesting, but I can't play arcade games because of a eye-hand coordination problem. I can do God mode in a few, like the old Doom. But otherwise, pffft.

I want to play old adventure games :-)

Old 06-17-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
kenjennings
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcubed2 View Post
. . . I want to play old adventure games :-)

'Ah, an Infocom Zork player, are you? Don't look now, but I think that's a grue behind you.

Advert
Old 06-17-2010, 07:08 PM   #6
dcubed2
Edge User

Yep, though my favorite Infocom was Mind Forever Voyaging. Still have the 'book shelf' version, with a 5.25" floppy disc. At one time, I had all but a few of the Infocom games. Had to sell them because I was running out of room. Miss the form in Bureaucracy and the 3D comic book in Leather Goddesses...

Also loved Legend Entertainment (Spellcasting series, Eric the Unready) and Magnetic Scrolls (Fish, Wonderland). Liked some of the Sierra On-line games, but so many had arcade sequences that I just couldn't do. Sigh. Loved, loved, loved the Space Quest parts I could play, but was never able to finish any.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:59 AM   #7
OncTech
Edge User

I know ScummVM for android works, though in landscape only. Only thing is I cannot figure out how to right-click...

http://sites.google.com/site/scummvmandroid/

Old 06-18-2010, 10:53 AM   #8
kenjennings
Edge User

Installed it. No Joy in Mudville.

I installed it. The usual method of copying the .apk file to the edge and installing it seemed to work. No complaints from the edge.

I think the developer's directions relying on adb is either their personal preference, or some (most?) phones do not support exporting storage via USB. A wild guess.

The directions required manually copying the .conf file to one of a couple possible locations. It copied fine to /sdcard. (FYI: I couldn't update the alternate location /data/data/org.hystudio.dosbox/files due to permissions. But the presence of the org.hystudio.dosbox directory tells me the install seemed to work.)

I plugged in an external USB keyboard and ran Dosbox. It gave me a black screen for a couple seconds, then exited. Same result if the screen is set to landscape or portrait before launching the program.

The various possibilities:
  • dosbox doesn't like something about the edge.
  • it requires the conf file to be in the org.hystudio.dosbox location
  • it really does need root to install the program.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:48 AM   #9
StevenP
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OncTech View Post
I know ScummVM for android works, though in landscape only. Only thing is I cannot figure out how to right-click...

http://sites.google.com/site/scummvmandroid/
I really like ScummVM but I have the same problem as you. There are some adventures that don't rely on the right-mouse button but that rules out many games I like.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:55 PM   #10
dcubed2
Edge User

Hmm, has anyone emailed the ScummVM developer? Maybe he (she) would be able to figure something out. It probably shouldn't be me, though - I may not understand the answer if it is technical .

I do like the old LucasArts games, like Monkey Island.

Well, on the web site for the Android Dosbox they say they are working on a new version that will work with the virtual keyboard and fix lots of problems. But there's no release date at all. Thanks for checking it out! I'm hoping the new version will work on the eDGe.