Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-21-2007, 04:17 PM   #16
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I don't expect a Firmware update any time soon. In the weeks after the first update, I was seeing some indications that there might be a follow-on update before too long, but I haven't seen anything since then, which leads me to suspect that something may have happened to derail an update.

(As always, salt to taste)
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 05:18 PM   #17
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogui View Post
Someone here has stated that the Sony Memory Sticks work OK at 4G. The SD cards won't. The Reader specs them at 2G max. The new revised standard for SD specs SD at 2G max. Some manufacturers extended SD to 4G, but did so in ways that were incompatible with each other. See the wikipedia article on SD cards. There has been a lot of discussion before on this topic in this forum. Also, there is a wiki page on this topic of SD card compatibility for the Reader. Some of the 4G cards there are incorrectly stated as working. If you find hard data on this topic you can edit the page.

I have a Chinese Kingston 4G knock-off that works fine in a card reader (also Chinese) that was touted as supporting 4G SD cards. It works OK when in the card reader, but fails the fill test. The Connect software also fails when connected to a Reader with a full 4G SD card.

After using various SD cards for a while, I took them out of my Reader completely. I have 65 books on my Reader now and the memory is only about half full! There is a suggestion here that SD cards drain the battery a little more quickly, and besides, more books can make the selection menu in the Reader uncomfortably long. You may feel differently.

Newer eReaders that come on the market may conform to the SDHD standard. SDHD will provide 4G of storage and up, plus it is backward compatible with your present SD cards.

Not everyone is using the reader for conventional books, 4GB is quite necessary for me if I ever want to go on a holiday with the reader, because 12 of my books have filled up my 2GB card already

Well, we'll see tomorrow if memorystick is working. Bad thing about that is, that there are a lot of fake memorystick around....
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2007, 05:49 PM   #18
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
... 12 of my books have filled up my 2GB card already
Great googely-moogely! What sorts of books are those?!?
And how fast can you get through a book that large?
Old 06-21-2007, 06:14 PM   #19
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Great googely-moogely! What sorts of books are those?!?
And how fast can you get through a book that large?

those are mangabooks
And i've converted the largest volumecollections I've always wanted to read (again) and putten them into the reader.
The largest at this moment is about 300MB big with almost 7000 pages. (i'm now at page 5000)

I must admit, the reader have some troubles opening these huge files and parsing it takes awhile too. I should have splitted it up in smaller files...

But it's great to justify the Reader to my girlfriend and shock my friends.
"you know, those 3 cabinets full of manga you nagged about?"
"yeah"
"I got them all in my jacket's inner pocket now"
" "
Old 06-21-2007, 06:50 PM   #20
NatCh
Gizmologist

Oh, well that 'splains it.

You might want to consider running them through the ConnSoft (assuming you have a system that it will run on) -- it does that parsing for you (even if you're loading it directly onto the SD Card), and should save you some parsing time over what the Reader's relatively puny processor can turn out.
Advert
Old 06-21-2007, 11:04 PM   #21
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Quote:
Not everyone is using the reader for conventional books, 4GB is quite necessary for me if I ever want to go on a holiday with the reader, because 12 of my books have filled up my 2GB card already

Well, we'll see tomorrow if memorystick is working. Bad thing about that is, that there are a lot of fake memorystick around....
Wow! That is some heavy reading! I have two or three fake SD cards here. I try them in the store and if they read and write I take a chance on them. I have been lucky so far. Fake Kingston's are common here in China. The real ones have holographic labels and cards inside showing a website where you can validate the serial number. I don't know about other brands.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 03:08 PM   #22
athlonkmf
Guru

Just got my memory stick. A few comments first:
1)the memorystick is SLOOOOOOOOOOOOW! Compared to my 133x SD-card, it's at least 50% slower to write or read.
2)Sony has become cheaper. No longer are they shipping an adapter with the stick.
3) The reader does not support 4GB memory stick, despite the stick being listed as supported here http://esupport.sony.com/EN/info/mspro-reader.html

Also... just like when you fill up a 4GB SDcard. if a stick is filled up to 2GB where the reader can't even write the formatting data, the reader will crash...

/me disappointed.

And even if the reader does support 4GB memorystick,it's so damn slow loading that you shouldn't bother using memorystick instead of SD-cards. Where an SD-card read a large book fairly fast (within 1 minute), the memorystick would need a couple of minutes.

Anyone care to give Sony a call about this?

Last edited by athlonkmf; 06-22-2007 at 03:13 PM.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:15 PM   #23
athlonkmf
Guru

-*----

Last edited by athlonkmf; 06-22-2007 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:37 PM   #24
athlonkmf
Guru

Anyone living in the USA care to give support a call and ask them about this problem? If even their own 4GB memory sticks aren't working then there's something wrong I think.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:43 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Anyone living in the USA care to give support a call and ask them about this problem? If even their own 4GB memory sticks aren't working then there's something wrong I think.
What I might do is take a run over to the local Sony Style shop and see if they have such available and see if they can get it to work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 05:58 PM   #26
athlonkmf
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What I might do is take a run over to the local Sony Style shop and see if they have such available and see if they can get it to work.
Seeing that it takes over 2 hours to fill the reader up through Connect and 1 hour with a dedicated cardreader, i don't really know if they would want to help you. Unless of course, if you're a valued customer...

but where do you plan on getting 2.1 GB worth of ebooks?
Old 06-23-2007, 10:28 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Seeing that it takes over 2 hours to fill the reader up through Connect and 1 hour with a dedicated cardreader, i don't really know if they would want to help you. Unless of course, if you're a valued customer...

but where do you plan on getting 2.1 GB worth of ebooks?
Perhaps MobilRead?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 11:50 PM   #28
NatCh
Gizmologist

Old 06-26-2007, 09:31 PM   #29
jsuplido
@jsuplido
jsuplido began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, PRS-300
I give up!

I loaded up my 4GB Memory Stick Pro Duo with 2GB worth of ebooks from my Blackmask DVD. It's about 6000 ebooks ... and guess what? The Reader cannot seem to catalog all of those. It's been "trying" to do it for the past few hours... so I've just reset it.

So in the end, I've decided to just work with what internal memory I have. LOTS of external memory does not bode well with the Reader. Besides, what would I do with 6000 ebooks all in there at once? Music perhaps would be a better option (which worked as I've posted a few posts back).

So if anyone wishes to try loading up 10000 books... you've been warned
jsuplido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 02:53 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsuplido View Post
So if anyone wishes to try loading up 10000 books... you've been warned
You've reached exactly the same conclusion that we all reach - for "standard" books, the 100 or so that will fit into internal memory is more than enough. It's just not worth the hassle of using external memory cards (unless you have to - eg to load books on a platform that doesn't support Connect).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote