Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-31-2020, 11:42 AM   #1
Nabeel
Zealot
Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Parental controls - details?

Dear All,

This really is for something I'm writing. When a parent sets up a parental control programme on a child's computer, what happens when the child tries to access something forbidden? What message actually pops up on the child's computer?

It's just a detail I want to get right.

Thank you, and stay well all you people,

N.
Nabeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 02:20 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Depends on if it's the Browser, Router, OS (windows, Mac, Linux or a 3rd party tool on one of those) or the ISP.
All exist and are different. I discovered pointless on the Kindle, because it blocked all books not bought from Amazon, and no parental per book settings.

I discovered the Huawei router settings didn't actually work. Other routers have worked.

Experiment with your computer. Create a separate user account!

Only the ISP and Router ones can't easily be bypassed and only if they block a site for EVERYONE. I know 9 yo kids that could block their parents and not vice versa.

Or make it up unless the OS and year is clearly identified.

Edit
P.S. The main issue with Huawei, and GCHQ agrees, is bugs in their software. It's ZTE that's the Chinese State Telecom outfit. Huawei usually lose out to ZTE in China, or in Chinese sponsored African projects. They are not American, that's Trump's objection.

Last edited by Quoth; 03-31-2020 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Huawei
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 04:47 AM   #3
Nabeel
Zealot
Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Depends on if it's the Browser, Router, OS (windows, Mac, Linux or a 3rd party tool on one of those) or the ISP.
All exist and are different. I discovered pointless on the Kindle, because it blocked all books not bought from Amazon, and no parental per book settings.

I discovered the Huawei router settings didn't actually work. Other routers have worked.

Experiment with your computer. Create a separate user account!

Only the ISP and Router ones can't easily be bypassed and only if they block a site for EVERYONE. I know 9 yo kids that could block their parents and not vice versa.

Or make it up unless the OS and year is clearly identified.

Edit
P.S. The main issue with Huawei, and GCHQ agrees, is bugs in their software. It's ZTE that's the Chinese State Telecom outfit. Huawei usually lose out to ZTE in China, or in Chinese sponsored African projects. They are not American, that's Trump's objection.
Thank you for replying, but I think you've mis-read my post.

N.
Nabeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 04:53 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabeel View Post
Dear All,

This really is for something I'm writing. When a parent sets up a parental control programme on a child's computer, what happens when the child tries to access something forbidden? What message actually pops up on the child's computer?

It's just a detail I want to get right.
The exact message, and form of the message, will depend on the exact versions of software and operating system, and exactly what kind of operation was being blocked.

If you're being specific as to the computer and software being used, and the action being performed, you could be specific about the message.

But this seems unlikely, and unwise.

Given how quickly this stuff changes, I'd try to be more general. If it was a blocked web site, a web page would appear that either said that the page didn't exist (some kind of 404 message), or a web page would appear that said that the site was blocked by the parental controls.

I'd recommend being as generic as possible in the description, unless this is a crucial point in your book. And if it's that crucial, you should set up a new user account and apply parental controls, and see what message you get!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 04:57 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabeel View Post
No, I think I understand perfectly and I laud people getting details right. I didn't answer clearly.
The shorter answer is that that there are MANY possible popup boxes depending on WHERE the parental controls are set, if it's a forbidden local program or a web site and if a third party program is purchased or it's a built in feature.

So unless you want to identify a particular program (and many are a waste of money so accidental "product placement" would be baḑ), just make up something reasonable.
I'm sure the purveyors of such programs to add on (a bad idea), have screen shots on their web sites. Search the usual culprits selling AV programs first!
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote