Notices

Old 08-10-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
yecam
Enthusiast
yecam began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
OI crashing with FBReader and mobi file

Hi

I just downloaded and installed the latest version of OI on a BeBook device and was trying out the support for mobie ebooks. Things look pretty good, especially the progress bar at the bottom of the screen. However, I ran into a problem with bookmarks. Pressing button 3 allows me to enter or create a bookmark as documented. According to the documentation, pressing and holding button 3 (long hold) I am supposed to see a list of my bookmarks. When I attmpt to do this I get a dead BeBook that has to be reset with the button on the back of the machine before I can recover.

Am I doing something obviously wrong as a newbie or is this a known bug?

I also ran into a problem reading Fictionwise ereader or BNB files. These PBD ebooks have no DRM as downloaded from the Barnes and Noble site. The ebooks appear to be recognized but when I attempt to open them I get to my previously opened mobie ebook. According to another post on this forum this is the known behaviour when a book is not supported. Am I wrong in expecting these books to be readable?

Thnaks to anyone who can illuminate the topic for me.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:49 PM   #2
lunohod
OpenInkpot developer
lunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toys

Device: N516,V3,PRS505,iLiad,eSlick,E60,K3,K4NT,M90,PB912,KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by yecam View Post
I just downloaded and installed the latest version of OI
Which one?

Quote:
According to the documentation, pressing and holding button 3 (long hold) I am supposed to see a list of my bookmarks. When I attmpt to do this I get a dead BeBook that has to be reset with the button on the back of the machine before I can recover.
This issue was fixed in http://users.openinkpot.org/~lunohod/20090508/

Quote:
I also ran into a problem reading Fictionwise ereader or BNB files. These PBD ebooks have no DRM as downloaded from the Barnes and Noble site. The ebooks appear to be recognized but when I attempt to open them I get to my previously opened mobie ebook. According to another post on this forum this is the known behaviour when a book is not supported. Am I wrong in expecting these books to be readable?
eReader format is not supported by FBReader.
Advert
Old 08-10-2009, 07:26 PM   #3
yecam
Enthusiast
yecam began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunohod View Post
Which one?

It was the 20090326 version.

This issue was fixed in http://users.openinkpot.org/~lunohod/20090508/

Wouldn't you know it! I thought that I had downloaded the latest and greatest. I will follow your link and try out this May 8'th version

Many thanks.

eReader format is not supported by FBReader.
These format type and naming conventions do get a bit confusing. Since my ereader files have the pdb extension I had hopes of being pleasantly surprised. Ah well. I will install the latest May 8 software and try things out again.

Thnaks again for the swift reply.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:01 PM   #4
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by yecam View Post
Since my ereader files have the pdb extension I had hopes of being pleasantly surprised.
.pdb is a common extension for all Palm data formats. This is like .xml extension - such files may contain just anything.