Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-13-2010, 08:25 PM   #1
Shpinxis
Shpinxis began at the beginning.

Device: none
My specs for an e-reader, now which one should i get?

I have been doing a lot of research for the one I want, so here is what I want out of my device.

- most importantly e-ink technology for its no glare screens

- good amount of file support with really good pdf support for things such as comics and manga

those are the main 2 things i want

some others are

- easy organizing in operating system
- would like sd support
- fast page turning
-good battery

AND the cheapest one that gives me a fair amount of those features

If you could help me choose one that fits these things I would really appreciate it a lot.

Some i have been looking at as in the Aluratek libre and the jetbook are really nice and what I would want but they dont have the e-ink which is what I want most. So right now im looking at the prs300 as my choice. Once again i would appreciate it very much if you could give some suggestions, thank you.
Shpinxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:03 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The E-book Reader Matrix has a row for PDF Capabilities. As you can see, the PRS-300 has only "basic" PDF support. Probably the best is PocketBook (360° or 301+) but these only have 4 grey scales (in hardware), the EZ Reader's (Hanlin) are also ok for PDFs and the Pocket Pro has 8 and the forthcoming EZ Reader Plus (Hanlin V3+) has 16 grey scales. I guess I would go with the EZ Reader Plus, for its good balance between features and price. Note that a 5" or 6" EInk screen isn't optimal for PDFs (unless they are explicitly formatted for a small page size), but the larger screen devices are very expensive.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2010, 10:01 PM   #3
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Check out the Pocketbook 360. Though it only has a 5 inch screen. Its very mobile (which I find a big plus). Has very good PDF support (along with a lot of other formats), people have commented how surprised they are at how good it handles PDF. Supports a large amount of font sizes. You can add your own fonts. No glare. Easy organization in OS. Has SD support. Fast page turning, can even set it so the screen doesn't turn black (you can set it between 1 to 14 page turns before it fully refreshes the screen). And definitely a good battery. What I find so nice is everything you want to be able to do you can within the settings of the PB360 software. You can change all the keys (even the power button) to do what you want. When you add the custom fbreader thats been made specifically made for this device there is pretty much nothing you can't do regarding how you want the ebook to appear. Even have it turn pages by tilting the device (I personally don't use that but a lot of people do). Its actually ridiculous the amount of tweaks you can do on this thing.

This is my first ereader. I held off for a very long time to get exactly what I wanted. I wanted one at the beginning of last year but waited and decided to wait until 2010. These last 4 months have been hell lol. I honestly thought the 5 inch screen would be too small for me. But I got it anyway and thought I could use this one as a purely mobile one and if needed I would buy a bigger one for home use if needed. Well a bigger screen (for me) definitely wasn't needed.

So I did my due diligence and it paid off and I got in my opinion the best ereader for me.

Last edited by Guns4Hire; 04-13-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:41 PM   #4
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
For Manga your not going to want something under 6 inches. The cheapest ebook reader with excellent pdf support would be the PocketBook 301.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:49 AM   #5
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
For Manga your not going to want something under 6 inches. The cheapest ebook reader with excellent pdf support would be the PocketBook 301.
Unfortunately, even the 8.1" screen of my DR800SG isn't big enough for some manga, which often have those tiny little side comments from characters.

It's all about picking the compromises you can live with. Good luck!
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2010, 03:40 AM   #6
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
From personal experience, eInk will not save you from glare, it will save you from GLOW. If you shine a light directly at an eInk screen you will definitely have glare.

If you have a Fry's, Best Buy, or a B&N near, you should take a look for yourself and see what you think of the screens.

BTW, I am using my DR800SG for manga with Kolenka's cbz addon and find it perfectly sufficient. Read through all of Deathnote and Cowboy Bebop.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:07 AM   #7
sony_fox
Zealot
sony_fox has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Auroa H2O
Guns - that's a good sales pitch for the 360!

I'm not sure comics would work very well in the black and white of E-Ink, definetly try before you buy.
sony_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:12 AM   #8
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
There is manga and manga. Akira, for example, is hardly readable unless on an A4 size reader. A normal-published series may fit am 8,1'' reader, though ideally I'd use a 9 inch one.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:24 AM   #9
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
BTW, I am using my DR800SG for manga with Kolenka's cbz addon and find it perfectly sufficient. Read through all of Deathnote and Cowboy Bebop.
With Kolenka's wonderful CBZ Document Viewer app it's definitely both possible and a joy to read through most manga. I've done it myself as well. However, I wanted to point out that even 8.1" falls short in some cases. When you get to the highly detailed and/or tiny stuff, you really need as close to a 1:1 size match with the original as you can get.

@sony_fox: most manga, unlike American comics, have no color. And e-ink works very well even on color comics if the device has 16 levels of grayscale (8 levels isn't too bad either, but four won't cut it).
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote