Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-02-2010, 11:20 PM   #1
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Kindle app for iPad appears in the App Store

Ok... for all you doubters and "Apple is evil" sayers... the kindle app for iPad is in the App store.

This is version 2... released April 02, 2010. Screen shots from the iTunes store attached. Oh, and its FREE of course!

From the iTunes App store:

Additional iPad Features:
  • New beautiful user interface tailored to the size, look, and feel of the iPad.
  • New Home library view with pinch, zoom and scrolling support.
  • New page turning animation that replicates the look of turning a page in a book. Customers who prefer simpler, unadorned reading experience can use the default "Basic Reading Mode" option to turn off the animation.
  • Adjustable screen brightness within the app to help reduce eye strain.
  • This initial release has only been tasted on the official iPAd simulator provided by Apple.

BOb
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-04-02 at 11.17.18 PM.png
Views:	1445
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	49084   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-04-02 at 11.17.25 PM.png
Views:	19637
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	49085   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-04-02 at 11.17.31 PM.png
Views:	1386
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	49086  

Last edited by pilotbob; 04-02-2010 at 11:28 PM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:26 PM   #2
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Is it 1st April joke?
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2010, 11:27 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
Is it 1st April joke?
On the 2nd? No.. no joke. I took the screen shots from itunes myself.

BOb
Old 04-02-2010, 11:39 PM   #4
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Yes, it is true...

Side By Side: Amazon Kindle iPad App And Apple's iBookstore
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:19 AM   #5
d2photo
d2photo began at the beginning.

Device: iphone/software readers
The Phone Book is here, The Phone Book is Here!!

Seriously though, I "should" have my iPad here in the morning. If it's still not sitting in China.

Wanting to see my kindle content in this new app as mom is probably getting my Kindle..

After a trial period reading on the iPad. I really want to see how the different screen settings will work out on the backlighting.
d2photo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2010, 12:31 AM   #6
lunged
Enthusiast
lunged doesn't litterlunged doesn't litter

Device: iPad
I haven't looked anywhere else on MobileRead yet (followed my RSS link here), but Kobo for iPad is also available!
lunged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:48 PM   #7
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Coooool. Thanks for posting!!!! (especially the pix).

Maria
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:41 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

I've got the Amazon app for my iPod touch. Quite frankly it is nothing to get excited about. Very lackluster compared to reader apps available for years on PDAs, smartphones, and Windows PCs.

The true test will be in the iPads screen quality in various lighting conditions, the ease or lack thereof of transferring non-DRMed books to the iPad, its ability to read ePubs, its actual battery life under reading conditions, the number of book formats that are readily available, and the final cost with tax and accessories compared to real tablet computers of the same size.

I'm skeptical to say the least.

I think you could take a pile of monkey poo, paint it, slap on an Apple logo, and a million applephiles would pay hundreds of dollars for it sight unseen.

Last edited by jswinden; 04-03-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:44 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I've got the Amazon app for my iPod touch. Quite frankly it is nothing to get excited about. Very lackluster compared to reader apps available for years on PDAs, smartphones, and Windows PCs.

I think the main reason for the desire of the Kindle app is for existing Kindle owners that want a larger format device and still retain the ability to access their Kindle ebooks. Frankly I have not bought any reference or programming Kindle books... but with Kindle for PC and iPad available I am much more likely to.

BOb
Old 04-03-2010, 01:53 PM   #10
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I think the main reason for the desire of the Kindle app is for existing Kindle owners that want a larger format device and still retain the ability to access their Kindle ebooks.
BOb
You have just described the DX.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:57 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
You have just described the DX.
Yes... but for the price compared to an iPad (or similar) it doesn't look as attractive. Especially considering some of the limits on the PDF support. Now, if they come up with a firmware update to resolve some of those issues... the comparison will change.

BOb
Old 04-03-2010, 02:38 PM   #12
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Cool. I've just been informed that my books made it up to the iBookstore! Of course...I can't link to them because I don't actually have the software (which I know is downloadable, but I haven't done that).

Makes it a little harder than normal to do a blog post and say, "hey my books are on iBookstore..." when you can't help people find them very easily.

Maria
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:33 AM   #13
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Glad to see I was wrong about this. I do wonder why anyone would now buy a book from Apple given that with the Kindle app you can read on multiple devices.

I do wonder if Apple will allow this for a while either as a sales tool or a test and eventually remove the app. I am sure they will be watching the number of books they sell via iBook and the number of downloads of the Kindle app.

On a related note, Consumer Reports has a first review of the iPad that is the first non-hyped and balanced one I have seen.
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:47 PM   #14
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post

The true test will be in the iPads screen quality in various lighting conditions, the ease or lack thereof of transferring non-DRMed books to the iPad, its ability to read ePubs, its actual battery life under reading conditions, the number of book formats that are readily available, and the final cost with tax and accessories compared to real tablet computers of the same size.

I think you could take a pile of monkey poo, paint it, slap on an Apple logo, and a million applephiles would pay hundreds of dollars for it sight unseen.
Apparently the screen is quite glossy. See this review, which is one of the most objective I have seen: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...040400121.html
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:44 PM   #15
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I loaded up my iPad with apps, this being one of the first. Works very well! The device does not work well in direct sunlight, but most computers don't work well in direct sunlight.

I can go sit under a tree and it's perfectly viewable. This device is quite extraordinary, I know the haters really hate the bloody thing, but I already have it doing an incredible number of things and it's beautiful hardware and a delight to use. It's simply far far beyond a device like the Kindle DX.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote