Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-01-2010, 10:12 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Apple iPad will choke innovation, say open internet advocates

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...oke-innovation

Quote:
Kahle told the Guardian that such a lockdown would prevent major innovation from software developers.

"They really control the horizontal and the vertical by going with the iPhone platform... I think it's discouraging," he said. "The future is controlled, and it's controlled by Apple."
Given the mixed response I've seen here alone, I don't think Mr. Kahle needs to worry about Apple controlling everything
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:42 PM   #2
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
Apple just has this really effective marketing hype that drives a lot of people crazy about their products...

But if you really dig in deep, this article is really true.

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2010, 10:52 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlobee View Post
Apple just has this really effective marketing hype that drives a lot of people crazy about their products...

But if you really dig in deep, this article is really true.
I agree with his some of his concerns, but I think there are so many alternatives out there, that innovation will still thrive. And the way the Web is today, I don't think any one company can stifle its growth, or control it. But, I'm an optimist
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:01 AM   #4
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
This seems odd considering Apple is one of the only large, commercial, media-oriented companies pushing more open standards in terms of web based media through HTML5.

They also have a long history of openly publishing the protocols and standards they develop or work to develop.

Apple knows interoperability is important, and interoperability is what makes the internet open, not platform specific openness such as which apps will run on the iPad.

Frankly this complaint strikes me as nothing more than trying to get some attention in the wake of another Apple product announcement, kinda like Greenpeace and PETA do.
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote