Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 08-15-2009, 02:18 PM   #271
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
That happens in Hawaii with motor vehicles. But they have a method of enforcement. You can't register the car without a paid tax receipt.

I just went through that last year. I bought a handicapped ramp minivan from Minn, and had to pay the sales tax before I could register it.
This is common with cars because they have to be registered. Other items like boats, I think also fall into this category. It the small, don't have to be registered items that are at least de facto exempt.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 03:24 PM   #272
goldilocks
Addict
goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
RobertB,

I own a Sony PRS-505. Although the Astak 5 EZ Reader Pocket PRO eBook reader supports 20+ open formats, it cannot open and read my many .lrx formatted eBooks.

I must say though that the 5” EZ Reader looks interesting. But I cannot afford another reader right now (or justify spending the money for another reader).

I would be willing to “test” one for you and give reviews to the company too! “Slate Blue” or “Maroon Lagoon” would be nice!
goldilocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2009, 03:38 PM   #273
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
What about FEDEX?
I'm not sure about elsewhere, but here FEDEX is even more expensive than UPS, and the service is essentially the same.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 03:39 PM   #274
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldilocks View Post
I own a Sony PRS-505. Although the Astak 5 EZ Reader Pocket PRO eBook reader supports 20+ open formats, it cannot open and read my many .lrx formatted eBooks.
At the end of the month Sony is going to convert their eBook store to sell ePubs. You will be able to redownload all your purchases in that format and be able to use them on the Astak Pocket Pro.

Any books you have in .LRF format you can probably get in ePub or Mobi and convert to ePub. So, you should be fine using your ebooks on both devices.

BOb

DISCLAIMER: This is from the info that we have seen in the news... don't kill me if it isn't true.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 03:43 PM   #275
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Puertoricans, of course!
We're a higher form of life, hadn't you heard?
Yes, I agree. Puertoricans ARE special!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
(Plus, we asked politely.)

Please!
Advert
Old 08-15-2009, 03:48 PM   #276
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
At the end of the month Sony is going to convert their eBook store to sell ePubs. You will be able to redownload all your purchases in that format and be able to use them on the Astak Pocket Pro.

Any books you have in .LRF format you can probably get in ePub or Mobi and convert to ePub. So, you should be fine using your ebooks on both devices.

BOb

DISCLAIMER: This is from the info that we have seen in the news... don't kill me if it isn't true.
I came back to this thread say the same thing.

However, we can only assume they will have converted all of their LRX and LRF books over. They may not. Or they may not convert them all. Your best bet would be to contact SonyStyle and ask them if the books you have will be converted to ePub for free download.

Wish i could give a more definite answer.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 03:57 PM   #277
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
However, we can only assume they will have converted all of their LRX and LRF books over. They may not.
Good point. But, what I am seeing in their press release is that they will be 100% ePub by the end of the year. So, that gives us hope that they will be converting 100% of their current library.

Bob
Old 08-15-2009, 04:01 PM   #278
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Good point. But, what I am seeing in their press release is that they will be 100% ePub by the end of the year. So, that gives us hope that they will be converting 100% of their current library.

Bob
In that case, they will have my money, and not Amazon.

So far, I have never purchased anything through Amazon, and the only time I have ever been tempted was when I found out they sold ebooks of Stephen Lawhead's King Raven books. If they were not AZW1 format, I would have purchased and converted them.

They would have received my money. However, they think if they sell Kindle format, I will go out and purchase a Kindle to read them.. Ha Ha to them.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:03 PM   #279
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:

Bob
Another way to get that 100% is that they could discard any ebooks that are not epub.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:08 PM   #280
wodin
Illiterate

Quote:
I came back to this thread say the same thing.

However, we can only assume they will have converted all of their LRX and LRF books over. They may not. Or they may not convert them all. Your best bet would be to contact SonyStyle and ask them if the books you have will be converted to ePub for free download.

Wish i could give a more definite answer.
I would think that would depend on if the new readers support LRX/LRF as well as ePub.

If they do I would not expect Sony to make the previously purchased books available in ePub as the ones you already own will be playable on the new readers.

Also, I'm not sure how ePub DRM works, but if it uses PIDs I would not expect Sony to register someone else's, e.g. Astak's, PID on their bookstore. They have already demonstrated that they are at least as short sighted as Amazon in that regard.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:12 PM   #281
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I
Also, I'm not sure how ePub DRM works, but if it uses PIDs I would not expect Sony to register someone else's, e.g. Astak's, PID on their bookstore. They have already demonstrated that they are at least as short sighted as Amazon in that regard.
They are using Adobe ADEPT DRM which ties a reader to an Adobe ID. You register the device via Adobe Digital Editions (or Sony eLibrary) software. One point they made is the ability for ADE supporting devices to be able to buy/read books from the Sony Store. The Astak Pocket Pro will be one such device.

BOb
Old 08-15-2009, 04:16 PM   #282
wodin
Illiterate

Quote:
In that case, they will have my money, and not Amazon.

So far, I have never purchased anything through Amazon, and the only time I have ever been tempted was when I found out they sold ebooks of Stephen Lawhead's King Raven books. If they were not AZW1 format, I would have purchased and converted them.

They would have received my money. However, they think if they sell Kindle format, I will go out and purchase a Kindle to read them.. Ha Ha to them.
uhh ... don't you need a Kindle PID to purchase AZW books from Amazon? And don't you need a PID to decrypt them? And isn't the only way to get a Kindle PID is to get a Kindle?

Or am I missing something?
Old 08-15-2009, 04:29 PM   #283
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
I would think that would depend on if the new readers support LRX/LRF as well as ePub.

If they do I would not expect Sony to make the previously purchased books available in ePub as the ones you already own will be playable on the new readers.
Of course the new readers support still LRF (and LRX), "BBeB" is mentioned in all specifications.
As for the latter, please see this page.
Quote:
ePub DRM is tied to user account, and devices are authorized for the account (be it by Digital Editions or eBook Library). I'm quite sure Sony will be more than happy to sell ebooks to everyone.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:50 PM   #284
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?

Quote:
uhh ... don't you need a Kindle PID to purchase AZW books from Amazon? And don't you need a PID to decrypt them? And isn't the only way to get a Kindle PID is to get a Kindle?

Or am I missing something?
That may be, but what I was going to do is have someone who owns a Kindle to purchase the books for me, ( I would pay them for the books) I would then take the files and decrypt the DRM to use on my reader.

But since they've yet to be broken, I am SOL for the time being.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:43 PM   #285
goldilocks
Addict
goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Wow! Thanks for all the responses. I had no idea that Sony is going to the EPUB format.

I found this at the web link "Books that have been purchased from Sony’s eBook store in Broad Band eBook format (BBeB) will continue to work on existing devices. When the store is converted, customers will be able to re-download their previously purchased books in EPUB format. " Thanks igorski!

Now, I just need to decide if I want to get another reader!
goldilocks is offline   Reply With Quote