Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 11-17-2009, 05:12 AM   #1
coredump
Enthusiast
coredump began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360
How it compares to the 505 | Shops selling it

Hello, I was initially going for a PRS-505 but apparently nobody sells those anymore :\

So I want to know how the Hanlin devices compare to the 505 from Sony. Is contrast worse? Is the software too unstable? Does it support PDF reflow?

I am going to read mostly fiction books and maybe some technical PDFs or the occasional RPG book.

Also, I would love indications of what brand/store to get it on EU, mainly in Belgium/France.
coredump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 03:37 PM   #2
tigran
Zealot
tigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Aura One,HD,H2O,Touch,Mini,Kindle 3+DXG,Nook Simple Touch
Both Sony PRS-505 and Hanlin V3 have Adobe reader which supports reflow. Hanlin also has XPDF which can handle files too complex for Adobe.
Hanlin V3 also supports a LOT more formats than Sony, e.g. fb2, DjVu (all scanned books are in this format as it is more efficient than PDF for this), CHM, RTF etc etc.

But the most important reason why Hanlin V3 is better is because it supports normal directory browsing of the files and directories. Sony does not and as a result (i.e. reading all metadata of ALL files on startup in order to present them as a tree based on things like Author/Title/Date etc) it takes about 15 minutes to start up on a moderate collection of books (about 5000 or so). Hanlin takes 3 seconds to start up on the same collection. The reason why nobody noticed this is because most users have a few hundred books and think "this is good enough" even though it takes a minute or so to start up on such a tiny collection as well.

I use Hanlin not just as a reader but as a digital library, i.e. each 16GB (ah, I forgot to mention that Hanlin V3 supports 16GB SDHC cards whilst Sony is limited to 2x4GB with both slots occupied.) is a reasonable window (of about 6-7000 books) into my collection (of about million books, i.e. practically all _interesting_ books ever written (inc manuscripts) from 1st century BC to the present

Besides, I have written a DjVu viewer (see http://www.bibles.org.uk/libdjvu) for Hanlin V3 so for accessing scanned books Hanlin V3 now has no equals...

(I am still working on the DjVu viewer, so the current version should be considered "beta" --- but soon I'll release the latest stable version with lots more features etc)
tigran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2009, 07:15 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by coredump View Post
Also, I would love indications of what brand/store to get it on EU, mainly in Belgium/France.
BeBook is the most popular Western European brand for Hanlins.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:42 PM   #4
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
One major problem on PRS505 is non-folder list. It show properties of File instead of filename. Sometimes, it is garbage.
Second, when you change the SD card or disconnect USB from PC , it will refresh all files. More files, longer delay.
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:59 PM   #5
coredump
Enthusiast
coredump began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360
BeBook seems sold out on its page. Bummer.
coredump is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2009, 05:01 AM   #6
rireed3
Connoisseur
rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook 1, Cybook Gen3
One thing the Sony does better: It turns pages faster.

In Hanlin V3's favour, it's sold with a variety of firmwares from its variety of sellers, and you can reflash back and forth to find the best one. I find the EZReader firmware of 28 October 2009 from Astak turns a bit faster. If you want do deal with DRM outside the reader, apparently Openinkpot has the best performance.

BeBook will have a new 6" reader someday (seen at shows), but I think it has touch, and judging from the Sony 600 I've seen, I wouldn't want it - makes the E-Ink dimmer.

Richard
rireed3 is offline   Reply With Quote