Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-19-2008, 07:04 PM   #1
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
New iPhone

I really didn't want to get an iPhone, but I had to take my Fuze back to the store today. That is a phone with a lot of potential, but they really screwed the pooch on the software side of things. Different menus depending on orientation of the device, four different ways to do something ... three of which don't work (but they don't tell you they don't work ... you just go through all the motions and menus, and wonder WHY it doesn't work), no local weather or other local information (if you want the weather in Austin ... fine ... but the iPhone even has the weather for Horseshoe Bay), and a zillion bloat apps (all trial versions), and the phone touchscreen does NOT work if you have the phone in the case. Oh .... and all for $600.

So, I returned it and got the iPhone (16GB version) instead. My ability to effectively use it is probably going to depend on how easily I can sync my various Google apps and related materials across my network and my phone. I do like the larger screen. And, the iPhone is generally much more intuitive and user friendly. Also, it was close to $200 less than the Fuze.

However ... most emphatically, it is not going to replace my Kindle for reading. No way, no how .... I get a headache trying to read anything on it over much of an extended period. It's fine for calendars, phone contacts, maps .... but not too great for pages and pages of text.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:25 PM   #2
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Agreed. I keep stanza (and the ereader software) loaded on my iPhone, along with a few books. But really, if I have lots of time, I pull the Kindle out of my purse. If I have just a little time, I play one of the free games on my iPhone. I've downloaded a ton of them.

Have fun with the iPhone!

Deb
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2008, 09:22 PM   #3
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Agreed. I keep stanza (and the ereader software) loaded on my iPhone, along with a few books. But really, if I have lots of time, I pull the Kindle out of my purse. If I have just a little time, I play one of the free games on my iPhone. I've downloaded a ton of them.

Have fun with the iPhone!

Deb
Thanks .... I think I will. I am in the process of making sure all my music is synced at the moment, and then I'm going to be shopping for a few apps.

I'm looking at Evernote at the moment. It is a rather nice program. Given that it is easier to sync than OneNote, I may (emphasis on the may) switch.

Also planning to pick up the app that ids music so you can purchase it easier. I find so many new artists during the holiday commercials. It's actually the only reason I pay any attention to them at all.

I'm just sorry that I'm going to have to give the Fuze a bad review. It sucks when I have to do that.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:03 AM   #4
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Welcome to the (Reluctant ) iPhone Owners club

Sorry to hear about your poor experience with the Fuze. I've tried out the Unlocked version sold directly by HTC as the Touch Pro, and that one was quiet good, with pretty limited bloatware.

I Admit that the Touchflo was a bit maddening, but some people seem to like it. I was going to get it or the Xperia X1 but lack of availability when I needed it meant that I decided to go with the iPhone 3G 16Gb Black.

Its a bit of a culture shock, at first as I've been using WM Smartphones for quiet a few years, and have gotten used to how things work on it. WM does allow you to have more control, but at the expense of some ease of use. Oh well!

You'll enjoy Evernote, I think, as its quiet handy to have the desktop client installed, and be able to edit and modify the notes on a larger screen, and proper keyboard, and be able to access them on the go. The only drawback I've found is that that the iPhone client apparently doesn't cache a local copy, so if you are out of range or on a slower connection, you're out of luck.

You Might also want to try out Files lite. its a free version of the Files app, and allows you to store your documents on you iPhone. It has suport for most of the popular document formats, so is quiet decent. And getting files on it is easy enough, and it provides a step by step guide on how to set it up.

Fringe is a nice IM client, with support for Skype and other VOIP protocols over Wifi so might be worth checking out.

For the Music, Shazam is good at identifying music playing, though i've found it a bit Hit and miss with some somewhat obscure tracks. Still, it should probably be fine with anything playing on TV or on the Radio.

Another good music app is Midomi, which allows you to either just say the name, or by singing or humming part of the song or by grabbing it like Shazam from the TV or radio.

There are a ton of useful and free apps, but the drawback is that a lot of them tend to not work that well. Still its a lot of fun trying them out.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:19 AM   #5
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I got the Treo 800w to be Robin to Batman (The Kindled Crusader). I love it.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert