Notices

Old 12-14-2012, 07:08 AM   #1
Carpman
Connoisseur
Carpman began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro
Some advice wanted!

Hi

I am new here, just collected my 32Gb Kobo Arc and it's presently charging.

I have never used Android or a Kobo before but I do have some questions to start with prior to turning on my new device.

I know the Arc comes with things like Twitter, Facebook etc, is it possible to delete these from the Arc? I use neither of these sites and I'm sure once I turn on there will be others I do not want or need (?). I will use the Arc for reading (obvious) and mobile internet access and the odd game (I'm not a gaming freak).

So is it easy to delete stuff from the Arc or am I stuck with certain built in apps?
Carpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:35 AM   #2
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Unlike the Vox, there appears to be an option to remove pre-loaded apps from the Play Store. There is a warning when you do this; I haven't actually deleted any yet.

It is very easy to delete anything from the tapestries - home screen shortcut launcher - and only add those apps and widgets you will be using. If you change your mind, it's a simple matter of pinning them for quick access.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2012, 08:54 AM   #3
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead
Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
Unlike the Vox, there appears to be an option to remove pre-loaded apps from the Play Store. There is a warning when you do this; I haven't actually deleted any yet.

It is very easy to delete anything from the tapestries - home screen shortcut launcher - and only add those apps and widgets you will be using. If you change your mind, it's a simple matter of pinning them for quick access.
True that. Lol.
Kobo-Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:21 AM   #4
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Virtually all of the bundled-in apps can be uninstalled - just go to Settings -> Apps and click on each individual app you want to uninstall (note for anyone reading this: if you want the new native Android version of the Facebook app, you'll have to remove the bundled FB app in this manner, then download the new version from the Play Store; same goes for Twitter and some of the other bundled apps if you want updates).
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:01 AM   #5
Carpman
Connoisseur
Carpman began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro
Hello again

Thanks for your replies, I will have a look at removing unwanted apps later today (I'm in the England, sorry!). The procedure looks easy enough.

May I ask the following:

OTG, I don't think this is an option at the moment, will it be available with the forthcoming software upgrade? Or is that a naughty question?

Backup, can anyone suggest a sensible backup regime. I use an iMac computer and run two backups for that, in part due to the fear of HDD failure. Something that is simple and pretty foolproof would be good.

Is there a way on the forums to mark a question solved? It may prevent a question continually being responded to if the poster can indicate "SOLVED".

Thanks again everyone, time for me to go back to reading my first book, makes a change from listening to them.

Ciao

Peter (Carpman)
Carpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert