Notices

Old 12-11-2007, 07:17 AM   #1
azog
Enthusiast
azog began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle
Download DRM-free directly to the Kindle

This is probably old hat by now, but I was pretty excited to have it work:

Last night, I used the web browser on the Kindle to navigate to www.manybooks.net, found a likely candidate, and was able to download it directly to my Kindle's memory. It even came up with a message that asked me something like "are you sure you want to download this content?", and then it said that it will appear in my library shortly. I thought that was pretty nice. I've been downloading DRM-free books on my PC, and transferring them via the USB cable, but I was feeling lazy last night.
azog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:51 AM   #2
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
I think it's cool that the Kindle will do that :-).
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2007, 09:58 AM   #3
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Something even cooler: in our e-books for the Kindle on Feedbooks, there's usually links to other books from the same author, and recommendations. You can directly click on these and download these books. Yep, you don't even need to be in the browser to download DRM-free books.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:11 AM   #4
cfw123
Enthusiast
cfw123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I love my Kindle, so this is great news indeed, as I also hate DRM. Suggestion: when I log into manybooks from my Kindle, can you trap my Kindle phone number on the Sprint network, and save it in my account with manybooks. Thereafter I want to be able to download DRM free content from manyooks direct to my Kindle without going through the hassle of logging into manybooks from my Kindle, which is a pain.
cfw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:13 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
Something even cooler: in our e-books for the Kindle on Feedbooks, there's usually links to other books from the same author, and recommendations. You can directly click on these and download these books. Yep, you don't even need to be in the browser to download DRM-free books.
What does the error "Application Error: Rails" mean. I get this everytime I try and download a file.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2007, 12:41 PM   #6
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
That's lovely. I also appreciate how well-formatted the books are on your site. Sadly many of the books I've downloaded, even from here at Mobileread, don't have the metadata set correctly. Tables of contents are usually good here but it's pretty problematic accross the sites I've been to. The books I've seen from your site so far have all been good. Do you have a catalog with links in mobi format available? I know it would be changing all the time, but it would be way quicker to search and download from that rather than browsing the site.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 03:24 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Alisa can you point out if there is one of my books where the Metadata is not correct?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 03:37 PM   #8
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Alisa can you point out if there is one of my books where the Metadata is not correct?
I checked out your War of the Worlds and Peter Rabbit. Neither displayed the Author data in the Kindle menu. Peter Rabbit didn't appear to have a Table of Contents at all. War of the Worlds had one. The links worked, but the Kindle didn't recognize it as a Table of Contents. It thinks there isn't one.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 04:14 PM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
The author problem has to do with the tool used to make the ebook (Book Designer). That's something you are unable to do.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 04:44 PM   #10
ctitanic
Enthusiast
ctitanic is on a distinguished road

Device: Samsug Q1 UMPC
Quote:
wow! what a good site is that! I really like it! A really plus for kindle owners.

ctitanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 04:47 PM   #11
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Strange problem, with the author, with mobigen it's easy to add an author (I specified the author in the OPF file on Feedbooks).

Quote:
What does the error "Application Error: Rails" mean. I get this everytime I try and download a file.

Dale
Well that's a bug. I need to get rid of a few bugs like these and make a few improvements, although overall it works fine. Log in and you shouldn't get this problem anymore.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:57 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The author problem has to do with the tool used to make the ebook (Book Designer). That's something you are unable to do.
Anyone know of a tool which allows the metadata in a Mobi file to be edited? It would be nice to be able to add author, etc, to books created by BD which, as you say, is currently unable to set Mobi metadata other than title.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:59 PM   #13
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
I know that in mobipocket creator you can add/change the metadata, but I have no idea how to do in books that were created in something else.

Hey I just realized that my statement doesn't add to the conversation at all--sorry!
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:30 PM   #14
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Anyone know of a tool which allows the metadata in a Mobi file to be edited? It would be nice to be able to add author, etc, to books created by BD which, as you say, is currently unable to set Mobi metadata other than title.
I think the format has to be updated to "version 4" before "editing" would even be a possibility, and if BD output "version 4" Mobi files it would probably already have the Author etcetera. I suggested a while ago writing LIT files from BD, converting to OEB with ConvertLIT, and then to MOBI with mobigen.exe. This was in the context of getting a TOC (which added complexity to the task). I can't test this because BD LIT needs MS Word, which I don't have. It might be a viable work around until BD can be upgraded with better MOBI support.

Another possibility would be html2mobi. Use mobi2html to explode the existing version and html2mobi to recreate it with author etcetera. However, this requires Perl under Windows, and, in addition, when I tried mobi2html it extracted the html but did not completely "explode" the file (i.e. I don't think mobi2html followed by html2mobi currently replicates the original). This approach is in principle viable though. We just need a Perl on Windows "expert" to get us started.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:18 PM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I think the format has to be updated to "version 4" before "editing" would even be a possibility, and if BD output "version 4" Mobi files it would probably already have the Author etcetera. I suggested a while ago writing LIT files from BD, converting to OEB with ConvertLIT, and then to MOBI with mobigen.exe. This was in the context of getting a TOC (which added complexity to the task). I can't test this because BD LIT needs MS Word, which I don't have. It might be a viable work around until BD can be upgraded with better MOBI support.

Another possibility would be html2mobi. Use mobi2html to explode the existing version and html2mobi to recreate it with author etcetera. However, this requires Perl under Windows, and, in addition, when I tried mobi2html it extracted the html but did not completely "explode" the file (i.e. I don't think mobi2html followed by html2mobi currently replicates the original). This approach is in principle viable though. We just need a Perl on Windows "expert" to get us started.
It is actually pretty easy to get Perl running on Windows. Occassionally however Perl want some Unix utilities but again this is also pretty easy to get on windows. I use cygwin for unix commands (but may are ported separately_ with a Perl installation and an emacs installation. My machine command line looks like Unix whenever I need it to.

There are also Linux versions that are bootable entirely from a CDROM so you can just boot into Linux anytime you wish.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote