Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-27-2012, 09:55 AM   #286
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Have you done Canada? Might I suggest The Grey Islands by John Steffler. Might be hard to locate, but it's been on my potential read list and will probably get read this year. Heck you could even use it and call it Newfoundland as another country. Hang the flag, it really is a distinct place within Canada. For Canada, I'm going to suggest another book I haven't read, Tropic of Hockey or On a Cold Road: Tales of Adventure in Canadian Rock by Dave Bidini. On a Cold Road was one of the books they debated on Canada Reads.
Thank you for the suggestions, which sound very appealing. Fortunately I'm not limited to only one Canadian book! I've got Ian Ferguson's Village of Small Houses on my TBR stack; have you read it? And I'm also rationing myself on Donald Jack, so I always have a treat when I need one.

As for Newfoundland, it wasn't even part of Canada until 1949? I think. When my father was in the US Coast Guard in the mid-50s, his ship had a home berth in Placentia (They did ice berg spotting.) I wish he were still here so I could ask him about it.

I think I've only read one book set in Newfoundland, Come from Away by Dennis MacFarlane, which I loved.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:06 AM   #287
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
I'm not going to make it ... Not by a long way

Circumstances and Life just getting in the way unfortunately !
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2012, 10:10 AM   #288
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I have read nearly all the books I've bought this year
I tend to operate on the LIFO principle when it comes to books, also. Another reason not to pull the trigger until I'm ready to read something. I'd save money in the long run.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:21 AM   #289
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Thank you for the suggestions, which sound very appealing. Fortunately I'm not limited to only one Canadian book! I've got Ian Ferguson's Village of Small Houses on my TBR stack; have you read it? And I'm also rationing myself on Donald Jack, so I always have a treat when I need one.

As for Newfoundland, it wasn't even part of Canada until 1949? I think. When my father was in the US Coast Guard in the mid-50s, his ship had a home berth in Placentia (They did ice berg spotting.) I wish he were still here so I could ask him about it.

I think I've only read one book set in Newfoundland, Come from Away by Dennis MacFarlane, which I loved.
I haven't read Village of Small Houses. I am sadly under-read when it comes to my own country (thoughts begin to stir on a challenge for next year).

1949 is correct. I lived in Newfoundland for three years. An unbelievable experience. I really enjoyed Annie Proulx's The Shipping News and Edward Riche's Rare Birds which both became movies. Both are a little less historical and more fictiony with the area figuring prominently into the story.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:25 AM   #290
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I appreciate other avid readers sharing their methods for keeping the prices of their books down and in exchange I will tell them how I have managed to keep the prices of the books I have bought to a bare minimum. Fictionwise seems to be a great way to hold down the prices of the electronic books. I have become warry of the rising prices of printed books so much so lately I have set a hard limit on the price that I will pay for a book no matter how good or bad it is at $6, a lot less then the going price on the NY Times bestsellers lists where the average price seems to be around $15 for a paperback.

Last edited by jbcohen; 02-27-2012 at 03:08 PM.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2012, 10:37 AM   #291
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I tend to operate on the LIFO principle when it comes to books, also. Another reason not to pull the trigger until I'm ready to read something. I'd save money in the long run.
That's me, too.

And I'm having a hard time getting myself to stick to lists or not buy books. My spending is starting to get out of control this year - and I've bought most of the books I've read this year...this year.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #292
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I know how that is here is what I have tried to do about it. I have put myself on Gold Eagle's Reader Services program where the books come to me not the other way around and Baen's bundles, between the two I have more then I can handle each month for reading. I do not allow myself to buy from anywhere else outside those two sources which helps me 1) keep the prices down and 2) limits the growth of the to be read stack. So my advice is to find one or two sources like I did and limit yourself to those two sources.

Polished off another great action packed adventure novel from Mack Bolan called Blind Justice. At the begining of the book Mack is driving his SUV when he almost runs into a police detective on the run from a group of dirty cops. Mack then picks up the fight against the dirty cops and their boss a US Senator who is attempting to cover up a high profile murder. In the course of the book Mack leaves a trail of dead bodys behind him a mile long and rubs out the US Senator.

Last edited by jbcohen; 02-28-2012 at 08:00 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:46 PM   #293
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I started the year with a 100 books goal, but changed it to 120 not long into January, once I realised I was well ahead of the original plan.

Even with this, I'm now 15 books ahead of schedule, as Goodreads tells me. That's really quite shocking, especially considering that I had a week in January when I was busy moving and didn't have the time to read at all.

And while a few of these have been short stories and novellas, there's also been several 5000+ location Kindle books (as opposed to my more usual fare of 3500-4500 locations) in there, with some approaching 7000 locations, so not really extremely short books.

Granted, I've been so exhausted from work lately that all my reading's been quite, well, not very taxing - so it's fast-reading stuff. But even so, I'm pretty pleased with my current rate.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:54 PM   #294
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
My goal is to read 40 books this year. Goodreads says I'm two book ahead of schedule but I will confess that three of those books are children's books that I read because I used them as part of a storytime project for school. Still, I should be on schedule. The rest of the books were novels or non-fiction. The link to my challenge is in my signature.

I do want to get my TBR list down but I'm not making any promises on that front because there's always some new book out there that will grab my interest (thank you library!). Ah, where would I be without my short attention span?

Besides making my TBR list a little shorter, I also want to get some classics in this year. I didn't read any last year and I hope to read at least 2-3 this year.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:53 AM   #295
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
1 book away from my initial challenge of 50 for the year (if I include shorts)

by TBR pile seems to have grown by about 200 so far this year
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #296
jbcohen
Wizard

I love that reading challenge portion of the goodreads web site, go to the challenge page once and tell goodreads what your challenge is and it will keep track of how fasr behind or in front you are at any point in time. Although the ticker widgets that it hands out are too big to fit into the signature lines of mobile read, oh well I guess one can't have everything.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:57 PM   #297
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I love that reading challenge portion of the goodreads web site, go to the challenge page once and tell goodreads what your challenge is and it will keep track of how fasr behind or in front you are at any point in time. Although the ticker widgets that it hands out are too big to fit into the signature lines of mobile read, oh well I guess one can't have everything.
Yeah, I tried it too but it didn't work.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #298
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
Yeah, I tried it too but it didn't work.
I had to put the html code into an online bb code converter. Just google html converter and a bunch of them should come up.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #299
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
My personal goal is to actually put stuff, and then actually READ the stuff on my TBR, I'm going to keep it at a length of at MOST 10 books, then add another 10 once I'm done with those.

I'm really hoping to complete a couple series this year.

My to read has been dropped to 4 books at the moment, I will re-load when I finish these:

http://www.goodreads.com/review/list...ead&view=table
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:39 PM   #300
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithbw View Post
I had to put the html code into an online bb code converter. Just google html converter and a bunch of them should come up.
Your 2012 Gooreads icon takes me to my challege, not yours .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote