Notices

Old 07-03-2007, 05:52 AM   #1
MacBeezle
Zealot
MacBeezle began at the beginning.

Device: Apple iPhone 4, Apple iPad, Sony Reader PRS-500U2. Soon: Kindle 4
Will there be another firmware upgrade?

Hi,

does anyone know whether Sony is working on a new and imporoved firmware for the Reader?

Or did they just discontinue the development?
MacBeezle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 05:58 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Someone said recently that they'd been told by Sony that another upgrade was due this month. Hopefully that'll fix the battery meter bug.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2007, 06:30 AM   #3
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Here's my list of what I hope they include in this hopefully soon to be forthcoming update:

1) fix the battery meter problem
2) add the ability to read entire contents of all 4GB Memory Sticks and SD cards, regardless of manufacturer
3) add the ability to display books on memory cards inside of folders so that people who wish to use memory cards can create their own organization. This would include the use of subfolders
4) the inclusion of the ability to read Adobe Digital Editions, so that publishers can finally settle on a single format for all devices (this would of course require that all other manufacturers also incorporate ADE capability in their devices, too) and will hopefully encourage them to penetrate further into the e-book realm and open more of their libraries for purchase
5) the addition of a fourth font size, between the smallest and the medium, and make the current medium just a bit larger, so that there would be 4 gradations between smallest and largest, which I would leave as they are
6) the ability for the end-user to select which font to use as basic display font for books which don't specify one
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 07:03 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey View Post
Here's my list of what I hope they include in this hopefully soon to be forthcoming update:

1) fix the battery meter problem
I think this is pretty certain to be in the update.

Quote:
2) add the ability to read entire contents of all 4GB Memory Sticks and SD cards, regardless of manufacturer
That would be nice. Might happen.

Quote:
3) add the ability to display books on memory cards inside of folders so that people who wish to use memory cards can create their own organization. This would include the use of subfolders
That will (IMHO) never happen. Folders are scary things for non-computer folks. Sony give us a flat file view almost certainly because that's what their market research has told them that people want, not because they are incapable of programming a folder view.

Quote:
4) the inclusion of the ability to read Adobe Digital Editions, so that publishers can finally settle on a single format for all devices (this would of course require that all other manufacturers also incorporate ADE capability in their devices, too) and will hopefully encourage them to penetrate further into the e-book realm and open more of their libraries for purchase
No way. It's not even out in beta for Linux yet. Next spring would be my guess for it.

Quote:
5) the addition of a fourth font size, between the smallest and the medium, and make the current medium just a bit larger, so that there would be 4 gradations between smallest and largest, which I would leave as they are
6) the ability for the end-user to select which font to use as basic display font for books which don't specify one

Interesting ideas, but what makes you think that they are likely to include them?
Old 07-03-2007, 07:59 AM   #5
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Here's my wish list of enhancements/fixes:
1) Battery meter and bookmark date problem fixes
2) File deletion without desktop software
3) Button configuration to allow the menu joystick to turn pages instead of controlling history navigation
4) Folders on memory cards

Of course, as long as we're wishing, I'd really like to see Sony Reader II.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2007, 09:24 AM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
As I mentioned just a moment ago in another thread, I'm thinking that something has pushed back their original firmware update plans (Digital Editions, maybe?). I haven't seen anything on an update since February, aside from a reported comment from the help desk folks that HarryT reminded me of. Unfortunately, I'm suspicious that the help desk folks might be misinformed, and they have a vested interest in telling callers things to make them happy, or at least patient.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:39 AM   #7
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
i'd be happy if they fix the batteryproblem, and the >2GB support for memorysticks and sd-cards

But it'd be nice if the extra's from the custom firmware was added too, like the clock, pagecounter, etc. It's not like they have to develop something themselves.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:42 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
But it'd be nice if the extra's from the custom firmware was added too, like the clock, pagecounter, etc. It's not like they have to develop something themselves.
Can't see it happening - there'd be all sorts of IPR issues. What would happen if they incorporated the clock thing and six months later whoever it was that developed it said "I want $1m in royalties from you because you've used my software" .
Old 07-03-2007, 09:43 AM   #9
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Being able to turn pages forward with the joystick button would be nice, you can just go back with it.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:48 AM   #10
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Being able to turn pages forward with the joystick button would be nice, you can just go back with it.
it's made possible with one of those custom firmware/xml. Been using that for awhile
Old 07-03-2007, 10:09 AM   #11
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
it's made possible with one of those custom firmware/xml. Been using that for awhile
Hmmm! I'd like to try that but I'm not too confident with 4th party software. I know nothing of figetting with programming and I'm afraid of crashing or bricking the reader. And if Sony comes up with firmware that clashes with this, what happens? Dad always said 'If it aint broke, don't fix it'. As any stupid kid, I learned the hard way All the time.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:48 PM   #12
tekchic
Zealot
tekchic doesn't littertekchic doesn't litter

Device: iPhone X, iPad Pro
Anyone know where I can find that little joystick mod? That'd be infinitely handy. I haven't been on the forums much lately, so I must have missed that one.

Thanks in advance
tekchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:25 PM   #13
athlonkmf
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekchic View Post
Anyone know where I can find that little joystick mod? That'd be infinitely handy. I haven't been on the forums much lately, so I must have missed that one.

Thanks in advance
it's included here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=14
Old 07-03-2007, 02:28 PM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I adjusted that root version so that the "right" on the jogstick goes to the next page, but the "left" still steps backwards in the history.

It's all XML at that level, and surprisingly readable, you might want to have a look at it just out of curiosity, tekchic. The adjustments there are pretty trivial to make, and even to figure out how to make.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:32 PM   #15
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:

That will not give you the joystick mod. The correct link is:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=30
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote