Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-17-2011, 10:14 PM   #1
mwm10
mwm10 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350SC
Cover Art Missing or Small

I have the latest Calibre (0.7.40) and I am trying to send a couple books over to my Sony PRS-350.

Unfortunately I am having some trouble with the downloaded cover images. For several books (EPUB), they are missing from both the device and the Sony Reader Library software-although they appear correctly in the Calibre Library.

I also have another stubborn book that has a cover that has shrunken to 1/3 of its original size on the devices library.

I have tried connecting and sending the files over to overwrite. Also deleting the books from the device's menu and replacing them after reconnecting.

Thanks for reading and hopefully we can find a fix.
Is there a way to edit the ePub's to aviod this in the first place?
mwm10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:51 PM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
The recent models of Sony devices extract the cover from inside the epub every time they see a new book. If you enable the 'Automatic Management' under the 'Send to Device' -> 'Metadata Management' option then Calibre will put the correct cover back next time you plug the device in, and since the ebook won't be new anymore the Sony won't try to change it.

I'd recommend not using the Sony software at to manage the device, that might help too. Any epubs I buy from Sony go into my Calibre library, and I manage them from there.

Regarding changing the cover inside the book, you can use Sigil, or the tweak epub feature to edit the epub and change the cover. Alternatively an epub to epub conversion will insert the current cover.

Last edited by ldolse; 01-17-2011 at 10:54 PM.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2011, 12:50 AM   #3
mwm10
mwm10 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
The recent models of Sony devices extract the cover from inside the epub every time they see a new book. If you enable the 'Automatic Management' under the 'Send to Device' -> 'Metadata Management' option then Calibre will put the correct cover back next time you plug the device in, and since the ebook won't be new anymore the Sony won't try to change it.

I'd recommend not using the Sony software at to manage the device, that might help too. Any epubs I buy from Sony go into my Calibre library, and I manage them from there.

Regarding changing the cover inside the book, you can use Sigil, or the tweak epub feature to edit the epub and change the cover. Alternatively an epub to epub conversion will insert the current cover.
Ah!
Thanks for the convert to ePub tip. That did the trick!

Thanks!
mwm10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:18 AM   #4
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
confused about tags and cover art

I frequently tidy/remove all tags from my calibre library & , as expected, if I select view metadata for any one book there are no tags to be seen.

but when I do a format conversion with add metatdata picked on the look & feel screen,then a list of tags appears inside of the book - how come - where is that data being stored.

are there 2 metadata sources e.g. one in caluibre metadata.db ( maybe) and one within the epub files collection ?

I am also confused by cover art,
I "think" that cover art can be in two locations:
1 hard coded into a epub - usually as a titlepage or jacket.xhtml.
2. as part of metadata.

when calibre is told to add metadata to an output epub or mobi, either via send to device or via conversion what exactly does it add. & from where ?

Last edited by cybmole; 01-18-2011 at 10:20 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:51 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Regarding Cover art, then calibre always keeps a free-standing copy with the ebook in its internal library (called cover.jpg) with each ebook where a cover has been obtained. This cover.jpg file can either be extracted from an ebook format being added which ahs an embedded cover, or downloaded from the internet.. If the format supports it, then if you run a conversion a copy of the cover art is embedded into the file as long as you do not tell calibre NOT to embed a copy. When you send a file to a device, then the format is sent and normally the cover art is extracted from the one embedded in the file. Having said that some device drivers take device specific action around copying files onto the device.

The other point to note is that cover art is NOT normally considered to be metadata. This is important as it means that the cover art embedded in a file is not automatically updated when a file is sent to a device.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2011, 01:43 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
The other point to note is that cover art is NOT normally considered to be metadata. This is important as it means that the cover art embedded in a file is not automatically updated when a file is sent to a device.
This is true, but Kovid has setup the covers of ePubs (if the cover is clearly defined) to be updated during Send to device along with the updated metadata.

Quote:
Release: 0.7.11 [30 Jul, 2010]

New Features
  • EPUB metadata: When setting metadata in an EPUB file, if it has a well defined image based cover, update it
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote