Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-17-2012, 01:16 PM   #136
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
I signed up as well a year or two ago, and got nowhere.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #137
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlob View Post
I signed up as well a year or two ago, and got nowhere.
I signed up too. No results. I only got involved in the UNOFFICIAL development BECAUSE they did not accept (or reject) my application to become an OFFICIAL developer.

By locking down their KDK to NOT include us, that very act encourages jailbreak development.

I have been an AUTHORIZED developer for many projects and companies. The ONLY applications that I applied for and did not get are Kindle and Skype. All others were approved.

In my opinion, it is the locked/restricted KDK that encourages jailbreak and sideloaded app development, more than anything else. If they provided an official path for our development efforts, we would not be in this dilemma.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:07 PM   #138
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
KDK isn't an answer anyway. It's a sandbox. It's restrictive.

And jailbreak (or, more precisely, rooting) would be done even in case of freely accessible KDK and official way of KDK app sideloading. Just look at Android ecosystem (hint: Android SDK is freely accessible and any user can install .apk without problems).

Here is an official letter about rejecting of KDK request (and no, they don't apply mentioned strategy to firmware updates assembling):
Spoiler:
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #139
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And I thought it was actually going to be a letter.......
Old 11-17-2012, 02:49 PM   #140
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
KDK isn't an answer anyway. It's a sandbox. It's restrictive. ...
If they won't let us play inside their sandbox according to their rules, then we will play outside it using the freedom to create our own rules and do things our own way, without all their silly restrictions. Personally, I think their KDK way is too far removed from the "bare metal" for my needs anyway...

Last edited by geekmaster; 11-17-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:11 PM   #141
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
If they won't let us play inside their sandbox according to their rules, then we will play outside it using the freedome to create our own rules and do things our own way, without all their silly restrictions. Personally, I think their KDK way is too far removed from the "bare metal" for my needs anyway...
Wait, what? Successful applying for KDK doesn't take away a right (and urge) to "create our own rules ... without all their silly restrictions". You are contradicting yourself: even with your own [potential] official developer key and KDK, you're still wanting to do "bare metal" things... I guess, you'd still use jailbreak after receiving official KDK. It was my point.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #142
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
Wait, what? Successful applying for KDK doesn't take away a right (and urge) to "create our own rules ... without all their silly restrictions". You are contradicting yourself: even with your own [potential] official developer key and KDK, you're still wanting to do "bare metal" things... I guess, you'd still use jailbreak after receiving official KDK. It was my point.
No contradiction. I am saying that if they will not let us play by their restricted rules inside their KDK sandbox, then we will play by our unrestricted rules outside the sandbox, closer to the bare metal.

If I had a KDK, I may never have strayed outside it (toward the "bare metal"). My efforts would have gone into KDK development. I may never have bothered with a jailbreak, already having my own official developer key.

But NOT having a KDK, I was drawn toward "bare metal" (native mode) development, because it aligns more with my previous development experience and because being OUTSIDE the KDK, I can do it.

How is that a contradiction?

Anyway, arguing how things "would have been" is pointless, because amazon did not see fit to honor my KDK application.

Last edited by geekmaster; 11-17-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:22 AM   #143
awh_tokyo
Enthusiast
awh_tokyo began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Well, after my Kindle got updated to 5.3, I attached to the serial port and got into the boot loader.

I'm trying what I can find in the Debricking page, using a 5.3.0+JB firmware that I found. I'll let everyone know how it goes.
awh_tokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:15 AM   #144
awh_tokyo
Enthusiast
awh_tokyo began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
No dice :-( Flashed the 5.3.0 image with fastboot, and it boots, but it must rely on the JB already having been installed. Tried to downgrade to 5.2.0 but the system partition seems to be a damaged ext3 filesystem.
awh_tokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:35 AM   #145
dos1
20% cooler.
dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by awh_tokyo View Post
No dice :-( Flashed the 5.3.0 image with fastboot, and it boots, but it must rely on the JB already having been installed. Tried to downgrade to 5.2.0 but the system partition seems to be a damaged ext3 filesystem.
If I were you I would just download official 5.3.0 image and unpack data.stgz from jailbreak manually, so there'll be less chance of flashing corrupted filesystem.
dos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:39 AM   #146
qlob
Official Lurker

Quote:
I believe you can run the jailbreak from Diags, you just have to boot into diags with fastboot.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:57 AM   #147
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Loop mount the file system image and fsck it before using it.
Tell us what fsck reports.
Also, what 5.2.0 image you are using.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:17 AM   #148
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
Don't know about the paperwhite but with touch and k4 you can't flash the system partition using fastboot as it would get corrupted (flashed only partially). Maybe it's still the case...
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #149
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgio130 View Post
Don't know about the paperwhite but with touch and k4 you can't flash the system partition using fastboot as it would get corrupted (flashed only partially). Maybe it's still the case...
Ouch. that's an important and painful detail...
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:25 AM   #150
qlob
Official Lurker

hmmmm. maybe flashing the KT's diags+ssh partition will work?