Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #1666
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@meme: Minor update to the patch to catch .pobi files too, which happens to be the file extension my Touch renames periodicals to... (Yup, send a .mobi, find a .pobi once it's been cataloged...).

One fun thing to note is that the sort order is once again completely different on the Touch... I'll try to jot it down too...

Is there any way to catch the iSerial field of the USB device descriptor from the plugin? AFAIK, it's the only way to differentiate a Touch from a K3/K4, since they have the same VID & PID... It'd be neater to autodetect it than to add another checkmark to the config to switch the sort algo & change the popup messages to be accurate on a Touch.

EDIT: Yes we can, working on some tweaks for the Touch .

EDIT²: Kill deprecated attachments, merged in 1.7.11 .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-30-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:14 PM   #1667
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, here's an updated patch, with a few tweaks to make life easier for those of us using this with ixtab's Collections Manager on a Kindle Touch .

* Autodetect the Kindle model, so, hopefully, I didn't break anything for other models (I quickly checked with my K3, that seems to hold up ^^).

* Disable the 'Modify Kindle Settings' stuff on Touch

* Handle azw3 & pobi files

* Disable the fast reboot via hack setting on Touch

* Add a new setting (only enabled on Touch) to completely discard the existing collections.json file when creating collections, since it may not be in sync (if the user didn't do an export in Collections Manager), and Collections Manager will never delete a collection. That helps avoid losing items in Kindle only collections with keep_kindle_only, and saves Collections Manager some time, since that effectively leaves only Calibre managed collections to import.

* Use the correct sort order on the Touch (might not be 100% accurate, it's boring and annoying as hell to check, and there might be some unicode issues since the Touch handle some unicode chars...).

* Don't ask Touch users to reboot their Kindle in the confirmation popup, instead ask them to do an import in Collections Manager.

That should be everything . I've attached a working plugin zipfile in addition to the patch to help test/debug this.

@meme: Sorry about all the whitespace crap in the patches, all my editors use strict trailing whitespace extermination settings, and playing with the bB diff switches is a bad idea with Python code .

EDIT: Kill deprecated attachments, merged in 1.7.11 .

EDIT²: See #1760 for an updated patchset .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-13-2012 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Link to the new patchset.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:31 AM   #1668
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
@NiLuJe

Thanks for the patch. I'll test some on K3/K4, but an initial look at the patch seems like its ok. Because a hack is required for most of it, its not something that will be usable by most people, but if it doesn't impact the older Kindles (and it doesn't look like it would) then I'll look to include it.

The diffs with space are annoying, but easily ignored. I'm surprised you worked on the Sort section - that was an unbelievable pain, and not necessarily something people use much.

If anyone has any feedback on the patch let us know.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:10 AM   #1669
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@meme:

Yeah, the Kindle model detection via S/N should be solid, Calibre already does something like it in the Catalog creation code (which is where I finally got the hint on how to do it ;p).

We agree on the sort thing, I see... . It's a pain, but it's so different from the previous models, and that bugged me, so... Speaking of it, I updated the patch, I had forgotten the whitespace character (even if the vanilla UI won't let you input a collection name with a leading whitespace, the backend seems to handle those fine...).

The only things I'm not sure about are if I handled the added configuration key correctly (currently the user has to manually 'save' the settings once for it to appear in config files, not sure if it won't blow up if someone runs a create/preview without the key in the settings...), and if the unicode chars in the Touch sort order might cause encoding trouble...
Old 08-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #1670
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
IIRC Serial numbers are not available on windows.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #1671
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
@NiLuJe: I just looked through the code... great work!

There's just one minor thing: the "Kindle Touch allowing for collection names starting (and ending) with whitespaces" is actually a bug in Collections Manager (forgot to trim() the name). It's not like these spaces really break anything, but I consider the support to be a bug, rather than a feature, and will fix this with the next release of CM.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:31 PM   #1672
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@kovidgoyal: Well, crap. Indeed. Thanks for pointing that out .

@meme: Will post v5 as soon as I fix it so that it at least doesn't throw a backtrace on Windows... :/.

@ixtab: Good to know, thanks . I'll edit the comment accordingly .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-12-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:51 PM   #1673
NiLuJe
BLAM!

And here goes v6, with a workaround for the inability to use the S/N autodetect on Windows...

It made things slightly less pretty, since apparently calibre_info is initialized too early to be able to pull config settings from there, so every kindle_model test had to be tweaked...

Basically, it's a new setting/checkbox, that's completely hidden from the UI when the autodetection was successful.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-12-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #1674
NeedTechieHelp
NeedTechieHelp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard WI-FI
Collection Folder Not Displaying on Kindle Screen

I have a Kindle Keyboard WI-FI model. I am using calibre and your plugin to create the collection folders. I have all of my books in a Collection folder which I can see on Calibre in the Library view mode. However, I cannot see the Collecton folders on the actual Kindle screens. All of my books are just displayed as a list on the Kindle. When I do a preview of the Collection on the Kindle, the list shows the collections. What am I doing wrong for the Collection folders not display on the actual Kindle? I have no sub-folders.

Thank you!
Old 08-13-2012, 08:17 AM   #1675
Aleyst
Zealot
Aleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with others

Device: PW (7th Gen), PW (10th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedTechieHelp View Post
I have a Kindle Keyboard WI-FI model. I am using calibre and your plugin to create the collection folders. I have all of my books in a Collection folder which I can see on Calibre in the Library view mode. However, I cannot see the Collecton folders on the actual Kindle screens. All of my books are just displayed as a list on the Kindle. When I do a preview of the Collection on the Kindle, the list shows the collections. What am I doing wrong for the Collection folders not display on the actual Kindle? I have no sub-folders.

Thank you!
Did you restart your kindle after disconnecting it from the computer?
If not try that.

If that doesn't work, make sure that the kindle has Showing # items ---> BY COLLECTION.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:44 PM   #1676
NeedTechieHelp
NeedTechieHelp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard WI-FI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleyst View Post
Did you restart your kindle after disconnecting it from the computer?
If not try that.

If that doesn't work, make sure that the kindle has Showing # items ---> BY COLLECTION.
I did a complete shut down and restart. When I try to select "Showing # items by collection" there are no collection listed.

Thank you for trying to help me. I appreciate any suggestions and recommendation.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:49 PM   #1677
Aleyst
Zealot
Aleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with others

That's strange,
I'm going to ask a really stupid question here, but did you actually hit the create collections on kindle from calibre button in the menu list for the plug-in? And have the job run?
Old 08-14-2012, 11:28 PM   #1678
Vaesse
Zealot
Vaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'm thinking something a bit different. I read "shut down and restart" which is NOT the way I'd describe the restart process on a Kindle. I don't have my Kindle in front of me, but it's more like: Menu button, select Settings, Menu button, select restart.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:32 PM   #1679
Aleyst
Zealot

That's a good point.
I don't actually think the other way would work.

That's the right steps though, i will mention that those are starting from the the home screen, just to clarify.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:55 AM   #1680
looki
looki began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
If this questions has already been asked than I'm terribly sorry. But the comments are enormous. I used the plugin to make collections by genre. What annoys me, is that all the books are also showed on the home screen. I want only to see the collectionsfolders. I would be very grateful, if someone could help me. Thanks
Closed Thread