Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-28-2013, 12:35 AM   #1
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Nook lovers: what is your reason for choosing the Nook over the Kindle?

The Kindle is much more popular. For that matter, I have one, bot I don't have a Nook.

For choosing my next reader, I want to hear about your opinions on why the Nook is more compelling to you?

Edit: I'm particularly interested in your insights on the user interface differences between the Kindle and the Nook. Which do you like better and why?

Last edited by avid01; 03-28-2013 at 10:36 PM.
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:36 AM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Ultimately, I wanted an ePub reader.

And I wanted a front-lit reader.

That left me Kobo (which I couldn't test in town) or Nook. So I bought a Nook Glow.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:08 AM   #3
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I want an ePub reader.
I've tried different Sonys, Nooks and Kobos, and I always go back to Nook, mainly because it's so comfortable to hold. I sighed when the STR first was introduced, because it looked "bulky" and ugly. That was before I had tried it! It's still bulky an sort of ugly, but it's so comfortable to hold whenI use it without cover at home.
(When on the go I have my little Sony 350)
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:06 AM   #4
Gotadimple
Zealot
Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Nvidia Shield
At the time (15 months ago), STR was the better product. You could read outside with it, the display was better, and you had choices from where you got your reading material. The libraries had not yet made arrangements with Amazon, so you could use it to borrow books from the library.

Today, it may still be the better product, but I'm not familiar with the latest on Kindles, so can't say. You'll have to do the research to determine that.
Gotadimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #5
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
Ditto on epub and the Simple Touch being the best reviewed e-reader on the market in 2011.
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #6
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for your insights.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:24 PM   #7
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
For me, the deal-breaker on the Kindle was no external memory card. Between Fictionwise, Baen, and Project Gutenberg, I had over 3,000 ebooks when I bought my Nook First Edition, and when it's far worse now. With the Nook, I can keep my entire library with my Nook. With a Kindle, I have to rely on wifi or get a 3G.

I am hoping that B&N will come out with a higher resolution Nook Glow. I have an STR, but I'd get a Glow if it had the same resolution as the Kobo and Kindle.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:54 PM   #8
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I started on Nook because I got one as a gift. But even with both that and the Kindle, I find myself reading the Nook more. I've heard people complain about the more squarish shape, but I think it's the shape and how it feels in my hands that I like about it.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:36 PM   #9
avid01
Addict

Additionally, I'm particularly interested in your insights on the user interface differences between the Kindle and the Nook. Which do you like better and why?
Old 03-28-2013, 11:32 PM   #10
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
I use my Nook ST for all my ebook reading except pdf for which I use a larger tablet. Nook was my choice because I favor epub over mobi, but also especially for the ease in rooting. With the rooted NST essentially all ebook formats are available. Another plus for me is the sd card so that side loading apps is simple as is moving ebooks from my pc to the Nook. A strong negative for all the Kindles, as far as I know, is the lack of folders for organizing my ebooks whereas Mantano and Coolreader apps accomodate a file system similar to that on my pc.

As for interface, I don't like it for the unrooted Nook. -can't organize epubs according to a folder system. With the rooted NST, the interface is great.

Last edited by bobcdy; 03-29-2013 at 05:12 PM.
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:30 PM   #11
spinee
spinee began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
(1) ePub
(2) much more comfortable to hold (at the time)
(4) microSD slot
(3) clean, simple touchscreen interface (which kindle has now)
spinee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:31 PM   #12
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid01 View Post
Additionally, I'm particularly interested in your insights on the user interface differences between the Kindle and the Nook. Which do you like better and why?
The biggest difference for me as far as that goes isn't a huge deal. The NST has an option to show books in your library as a list, as my Kindle does, OR to show all the book covers. I like seeing the book covers because I remember the book cover sometimes better than the name of the author and title. On my Kindle, I see a list of authors and titles and try to remember what the book cover looks like. So the Nook works the way my brain works as far as that goes. Not everyone might prefer that as it means there are a lot more pages to scroll through, but then there is a button at the top of the library screen that allows you to very easily switch back and forth between the two options (book covers, or list.)
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:31 PM   #13
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcdy View Post
As for interface, I don't like it for the unrooted Nook. -can't organize epubs according to a folder system. With the rooted NST, the interface is great.
If you store sideloaded ebooks in a folder, the unrooted NST has an option to traverse the file system by folders.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:21 PM   #14
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
The reason I bought nook touch was that it was the only eink reader at the time based on android. Was easily rotatable so allowed for a lot of customization. Also I like its shape and button placements for both hands. I hope they don't close down as my next reader would likely would be its glow version but I am happy with current one see no reason to upgrade unless it breaks down or something. I hope they update it to Android 4.2 for the newer version of their eink devices. As many of the new android app dont work on 2.1 Android like google currents etc
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:26 AM   #15
avid01
Addict

Thanks for your additional info. As the Nook is not supported internationally, I have to stick with Kindle, but your insights are interesting.