Notices

Old 12-30-2010, 08:38 AM   #1
Kitabi
Connoisseur
Kitabi is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
iPad magazine sales numbers show steep decline over a few short months

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/29/i...r-a-few-short/

So, it's not just the book publishers who are making misguided decisions on pricing.
Kitabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:47 AM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Digital subscriptions should be priced at or below print subscriptions. I refuse to pay B&N $24 for Nat Geo when Zinio only charges $15. Popular Science is also overpriced by B&N at $36, while Zinio hits you for $12.

What gives?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 01:38 PM   #3
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Lots of us bought a couple issues just to see what magazines could be like on the iPad. But really, the web has replaced magazine reading for me.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:46 PM   #4
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Pricing is part of the reason I don't generally buy magazines on my iPad. The other part is that most of them just aren't optimized for it. With pages taking awhile to load, black letterboxes on top of page margins, and tiny bits of text which are barely legible on the display.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:10 PM   #5
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Conceptually, magazines on an electronic device seem ideal. But there is no portable device that can provide a double page spread and it is two-pages-at-a-time which makes magazines the attractive format they are. It's another reason that a 6" colour eReader isn't a slam dunk vs a 6" b&w eink eReader. And, pace Mac folk, the iPad isn't nearly enough real estate for magazines either.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2011, 06:40 AM   #6
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Conceptually, magazines on an electronic device seem ideal. But there is no portable device that can provide a double page spread and it is two-pages-at-a-time which makes magazines the attractive format they are. [...] And, pace Mac folk, the iPad isn't nearly enough real estate for magazines either.
I find the iPad is about right for a double spread of National Geogaphic, but too small for a double spread of A4 sized magazines.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:54 AM   #7
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Be aware that they're talking about the dedicated magazine apps, like wired and such where you have to pay the full pound per edition. Nothing is said about zinio who allows subscriptions.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:19 PM   #8
TrvlrsChick
Enthusiast
TrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook STR
I haven't paid full price for a magazine subscription in years. Until eReaders can compete with $10 magazine subscription sales, they're not going to dominate the market.
TrvlrsChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:37 PM   #9
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I tried a few free magazines, just to test 'em out. National Geographic was impressive, but I don't usually read magazines. I prefer news and books. The occasional magazines I do read, such as The Economist, usually don't require images.

My husband and I subscribe to a few print magazines, but that's to help out school-age nieces and nephews who are fundraising.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote