Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-30-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
ticmic
ticmic began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Will not find Server

I have setup the web server using port 8080, I got a friend to check if it was connecting to my ip address followed by the port but he got nothing, when I test it on the local machine its fine.

I changed the port to 80 and it gave me an error 13

Any help please, and be gentle I am old!!!!! and slow

Cheers

Nigel
ticmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Was your friend trying to connect to the server via the internet or from inside your network?
Also, paste the entire error message here, please. I, for one, don't know all the Python errors by heart.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2011, 10:55 AM   #3
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
If your friend is trying to connect over the internet do you have port forwarding setup on your router? Does your ISP block connections on port 8080. Many ISPs block unrelated inbound connections on common server ports for consumer service.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:05 PM   #4
Piers
Piers began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook
Hello,
Like Nigel I am old and slow and I have the same problem. The server works fine on my pc, but when I want to go to the web server via my netbook (on the same network), Firefox gives a message that it can't connect to the server. I've tried with a disabled MacAfee on both computers, but that didn't help. I looked at my router settings and port forwarding is enabled. On the netbook Firefox doen't even give the opportunity to login to the web server (I tried MS IE, but no luck there either). Has anyone an idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Piers
Piers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:36 PM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piers View Post
Hello,
Like Nigel I am old and slow and I have the same problem. The server works fine on my pc, but when I want to go to the web server via my netbook (on the same network), Firefox gives a message that it can't connect to the server. I've tried with a disabled MacAfee on both computers, but that didn't help. I looked at my router settings and port forwarding is enabled. On the netbook Firefox doen't even give the opportunity to login to the web server (I tried MS IE, but no luck there either). Has anyone an idea what I'm doing wrong?
Hm. If your netbook is on the same network as your PC, then using the internal IP address of the computer running the server should work- the test server- button uses the loopback address, which is always the current computer, so that won't work. You'll need to figure out which address your PC uses. If you're running a firewall on your PC, you'll need to either disable it or allow access to Calibre (if it is enabled, it's probable that a prompt comes up once you try to connect).
You don't need to have port forwarding enabled in order to access the server from a computer on the same network, that's only needed if you want to access the server from the internet.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2011, 12:47 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Looking at Local (in house) connection issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piers View Post
Hello,

Thanks,
Piers
Note: My reply is referencing Internal (in house) connection issues, Not Access from a WAN location.

"On the same Network" has different meanings to different people

A wired SOHO network is probably the Same logical layer network.

Wireless-Wired mix, can add a whole different set of variations depending on many topology factors.
Access points tend to simply extend the Wired Network.

Wireless routers can (more: depends on...) split the network into 2 logical networks ( If a wired computer has the same IP (eg 192.168.0.2) as a wireless device (without errors), you have a split network.)

Can you access shared folders over the SAME connection?

Is this a wired-only, wireless-Only, Mix of wired-wireless network?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:58 PM   #7
ticmic
ticmic began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
calibre, version 0.7.43
ERROR: Failed to start content server: [Errno 13] Permission denied

This is the error when the port is set to 80.

I reset it to 8080

My mate tried accessing outside my network http://ip address:8080 and couldn't connect

I can put the http://ip address:8080 in and it works.

I am using an Airport extreme router and an iMac, I haven't got a clue about how to forward ports, so any help will be great
ticmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:03 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticmic View Post
calibre, version 0.7.43
ERROR: Failed to start content server: [Errno 13] Permission denied

This is the error when the port is set to 80.

I reset it to 8080

My mate tried accessing outside my network http://ip address:8080 and couldn't connect

I can put the http://ip address:8080 in and it works.

I am using an Airport extreme router and an iMac, I haven't got a clue about how to forward ports, so any help will be great
There are 2 different IP addresses involved, and they both can change (Local DHCP and ISP's DHCP). Needless to say your outside address is not stable (unless you paid for a Static IP), there are services (like dyndns.org) that help get around this.

The one on your inside network, you can control
1) Set it manually (instead of letting it use the DHCP assigned one)
2) Set your router to always give that system, the same (reserved) address.

#2 is the clear choice if your system is portable and used on other networks, you want the flexibility to use other networks.

I am not a Mac or Airport person, so I can't give specific instructions. (the full manual has way better instructions)

If you have both the Airport AND a DSL/Cable router (not bad, just not simple) Stop, get on-site help, you have layers that must play together.

to "reserve" a specific address you need the unique 'MAC' (Media Access Control) address that is burned into every network device, from YOUR Calibre host computer: like,
Code:
00:80:77:36:fa:e2
(hackers: this one is for my Brother networked Printer ) it may be on a label on the back/bottom or a on a 'status' screen for your net connection.
There is a router setting that will assign the same IP every time that MAC is connected (usually outside the automatic range).

port forwarding, is simply a setting that say Outside requests to port 8080 should be passed thru to a pre-set machine ONLY. (sometimes referred to opening a pin-hole in you firewall).
you need to set 8080 to forward to your machine.(that you locked its address down to a 'given'.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:23 AM   #9
Piers
Piers began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook
Thanks for all the feedback, but sadly it is too technical for me. I will try and read the messages more carefull when I have more time. If things are still uncomprehensible to me, I'll try and ask more questions.
Piers is offline   Reply With Quote