Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-26-2010, 07:35 PM   #16
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Congratulations!

Sounds like you picked up the best choice for your current needs.

I wouldn't worry about wanting extra readers. I'm pretty happy with my Kindle, but I wouldn't mind having a nook (even though they've no support whatsoever for my country), a Kobo (despite the weird firmware problems and less-than-optimal ergonomics; it's backed by a Canadian company and I do want to encourage local industry), or a spiffy new Kindle DX Graphite (if they ever add left-hand side buttons), or an iPad (though I'm really holding out for a MacTablet), or even one of the other readers which can be hacked to do nifty things.

Lots of people on the forums have more than one, and if you ever feel you've outgrown the PRS-300, or you've got room in your life for something which covers an expanded niche (9 inch screen for viewing PDFs or the like, while you keep the PRS for more portable on-the-go reading), you can always pick up another.

They'll just get cheaper and better-featured down the road, and if it turns out you end up getting one that doesn't quite fit what you want, then an e-reader is a great gadget to pass on to someone else and introduce them to the joys of portable electronic literacy and the accessibility of the public domain.

Happy reading, and hope your mom gets better soon!
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:35 AM   #17
Fly_Hyer
Fly_Hyer began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sony Prs-505 for $180??

Thanks again to everyone and their great feedback. I picked up a Sony Prs-300 earlier this week and have really been enjoying it. Half the fun has not been just reading but finding great books to add to my eReader collection. I have been away from home and the small size of the 300 has made it easy for me to take along to the hospital visiting my Mom and reading on the go.

My question, I would like to add a bit larger screen for reading at home, I have heard great things about the Sony Prs-505 and have the opportunity to look at one this afternoon which is supposed to be in mint condition (used a few time and then put back in the box) for $180. Is this a good deal? So far I really like the Sony layout. The only thing that I am thinking is should I wait for the possible new Kindle expected in August or perhaps just pickup the nook which is even less $. Is there an advantage to being tied into these big bookstores, I would think I could still find their books (without DRM elsewhere....)?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this!
Fly_Hyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 08:31 AM   #18
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly_Hyer View Post
Thanks again to everyone and their great feedback. I picked up a Sony Prs-300 earlier this week and have really been enjoying it. Half the fun has not been just reading but finding great books to add to my eReader collection. I have been away from home and the small size of the 300 has made it easy for me to take along to the hospital visiting my Mom and reading on the go.

My question, I would like to add a bit larger screen for reading at home, I have heard great things about the Sony Prs-505 and have the opportunity to look at one this afternoon which is supposed to be in mint condition (used a few time and then put back in the box) for $180. Is this a good deal? So far I really like the Sony layout. The only thing that I am thinking is should I wait for the possible new Kindle expected in August or perhaps just pickup the nook which is even less $. Is there an advantage to being tied into these big bookstores, I would think I could still find their books (without DRM elsewhere....)?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this!
The fact that the Prs-505 is no longer available has inflated the price. It is a very nice unit, but I don't think it is worth $180 given the current options on the market. For $140 you could get a brand new Kindle with wifi, a better screen, better battery life, and a smaller form factor.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:06 PM   #19
Fly_Hyer
Fly_Hyer began at the beginning.

Device: none
You are probably right Noah98 but.... after taking a look at the pristine, flawless, sleek metal silver body of the 505 in mint condition I couldn't resist, so I took the 300 back and bought the 505. The 300 is a wonderful unit but I like the expansion options and the 6 inch screen on the 505, and did I mention it looked like it had never been used?! It's such a classy reader, metal body, brilliant screen, lots to like about it.

But the fly in the ointment today is that the new kindle 3 is out and the wifi version is only $139. This could very well be my 2nd reader.... and then I will stop... i promise.... for now....
Fly_Hyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:59 PM   #20
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly_Hyer View Post
You are probably right Noah98 but.... after taking a look at the pristine, flawless, sleek metal silver body of the 505 in mint condition I couldn't resist, so I took the 300 back and bought the 505. The 300 is a wonderful unit but I like the expansion options and the 6 inch screen on the 505, and did I mention it looked like it had never been used?! It's such a classy reader, metal body, brilliant screen, lots to like about it.

But the fly in the ointment today is that the new kindle 3 is out and the wifi version is only $139. This could very well be my 2nd reader.... and then I will stop... i promise.... for now....
I like the 505 a lot more than the 300. It is a really sleek device. It's just hard to recommend over the new Kindles (and this is coming from a nook fan!)
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 02:26 PM   #21
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
With the new Kindle 3 at pre-order it would be worth taking a look.
Unfortunately still no ePub support which sucks.
But the new display seems to be much better than anything before.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote