Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-24-2010, 02:30 PM   #301
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
No problem, here goes (it may not be completely accurate):

Sans_Regular.ttf: Used in the Settings & Experimental page for the explanation texts. Also for the dictionnary/note popups.
Sans_Bold.ttf: Used in the menus, in the top & bottom panel, and as the collection title when browsing a collection, and the inline text in the book & collection browsers (ie. the 'delete this item' stuff & co)
Sans_Italic.ttf: May be used alongside Sans_Regular or Sans_Bold somewhere ^^
Sans_BoldItalic.ttf: Used in the book list, for the collection names

Serif_*.ttf: Used in the reader, that's the font your books will be rendered with.
Serif_Bold.ttf: Used in the book & collection browser for the book title & author.

Mono_*.ttf: AFAICT, nowehere except in the browser, but I may be mistaken.
This is super info....have ya added it to the Wiki page? Would be a nice place to have a page discussing how to mix-n-match font faces to customize how your Kindle looks...I've already started doing just that... thanks!!
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 03:23 PM   #302
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@ichbindasauge: Try this one, should have the missing diatrics on a & o. My german is way rusty, so tell me if there's more missing diatrics . The ß should be here though.

@brecklundin: That's a bit off-topic/complex for the simple HowTo wiki pages, hence why I left it out (especially since it's already on the forum here in two different threads ).
Attached Files
File Type: zip DroidSansFallback_German.zip (1.57 MB, 281 views)

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-24-2010 at 03:32 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2010, 03:40 PM   #303
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

sorry to have stepped on your toes...don't see how it is any more complex an issue than your current discussion...if you don't want to do it, have the nads to say so....heheheh...seriously, thanks for mentioning there is another thread...off to find it...
Old 07-24-2010, 03:53 PM   #304
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wiki != Forum, the wiki page's goal is only to be somewhat shorter/simpler/visual install instructions, no more, that's all. The feedback/more complex issues are discussed here on the forum .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-24-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:35 PM   #305
brecklundin
Banned

Quote:
Wiki != Forum, the wiki page's goal is only to be somewhat shorter/simpler/visual install instructions, no more, that's all. The feedback/more complex issues are discussed here on the forum .
I hear ya...but then again nothing wrong with how-to instructions on a Wiki, right? Anyway, it likely should eventually have it's own wiki page anyway. Keep up the cool job!

Oh, I found the udder thread so posted some screen shots of my font kludge along with a zip file with the contents of my /linkfonts/fonts directory to make it easier for someone to try.

Hope eventually someone comes up with a way to tighten up the line spacing on the category list page. I like the spacing on the title list pages just not on the category page itself. but likely that will have to come from Amazon or, if we are really lucky, Amazon turns control of that loose to developers in the API. Or even better, they buy/license FBReader and use it as the whole CMS for the Kindles of all flavors...I think combined with Calibre that would be a killer combo.

Last edited by brecklundin; 07-24-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Advert
Old 07-24-2010, 05:10 PM   #306
kilikini
Enthusiast
kilikini has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kilikini has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kilikini has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kilikini has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3, KFire, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Unfortunately, either there's no debug logging in the Journal stuff, or the logging level is reset by the updater, so, nothing new in the latest logs. It's even more cryptic without the books in fact... :/

If someone knows what these Journal*.jar are supposed to do, I'm all ears.

Basically, the update patches the two files (version tags) fine, then launch the Journal-update, which fails, which then makes the update revert the two patches and fail. :/

Not even sure if we could learn anything with a log of a successful update, but it's worth a shot. (Unfortunately, I don't have a K2 US :/. And don't have logs of my 2.5.3 update).

And, no, not sure how to avoid the autoupdate. (Well, leaving Whispernet off ). Or using some of the nasty tricks laying around in some older posts to avoid the todo requests or stuff like that. Or maybe patching version/prettyversion to fake a 2.5.6...
Thanks for trying to help, NiLuJe, and since it doesn't seem to be a critical update, I suppose for now I'll just choose the easiest option and leave Whispernet off. I guess I could always contact Amazon CS, but they'd probably want me to do a factory reset, and I don't feel like reloading all my books at this point - too lazy, lol!
kilikini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:02 AM   #307
irha
irha began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 (US)
Quote:
If the jailbreak failed to install, you wouldn't be able to install any hacks. Any hack update would fail with a U007 error. (It flashes briefly on the lower left corner of the screen at the end, you might have missed it).

So, what 'message' are you speaking about with 'I see that message when I slide the power switch'?
Sorry for being vague, I was referring to the default screensaver that is installed with the message that says "The ScreenSavers Hack has been successfully installed!"

Quote:
Also, @irha/@lucadita re: usbnetwork: Usually, no support *means* no support... ^^ But, as long as the update file ran (ie. jailbreak ok), there *is* a log file [EDIT: Unless you forgot to upload the usbnet directory beforehand. The installer now handle this case and warns you that you messed up]. And you upload the usbnet directory yourself, like with the other hacks.
The instructions do not mention that we need to copy usbnet directory, so I at first I didn't do it (on the contrary, I think somewhere there is a mention of this directory getting created). However, when it didn't work, I noticed that the file is merely 3k in size, so I thought it couldn't possibly have a "payload", so repeated the process after copying the usbnet directory manually. Both the times, there was no error or any error codes displayed, but there was no logfile created either.
irha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:14 AM   #308
irha
irha began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 (US)
Quick update... right after I posted the above information, it occurred to me that I should reread the instructions for usbnet and realized that I missed a step. Before trying the `help command, we are supposed to turn on the debug mode by typing ;debugOn and I didn't do it last time. Now I tried these two sequence of commands and I got a list of commands that include `usbNetwork, so the hack seems to have actually worked.
irha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:22 AM   #309
ichbindasauge
Connoisseur
ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 US, iPad, Samsung Win 8 Tablet
Quote:
@ichbindasauge: Try this one, should have the missing diatrics on a & o. My german is way rusty, so tell me if there's more missing diatrics . The ß should be here though.
@NiLuJe: Thanks for that font. Chinese and German letters all work fine. The only thing I noticed that was missing were » and « , but don't worry, I'm fine with what I have now. Thanks for all your work!
ichbindasauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:17 PM   #310
Pierson
Pierson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Ok...So I added the Linkss folder to the root directory and added my picture to the Screen Saver folder inside it. I then added the "update_ss_0.9.N_k2_install.bin" file to the root directory. I then went to the "Update my Kindle" and it was greyed out and I am not able to click it. However, when i would put the "update_ss_0.9.N_k2i_install" file it would then allow me to click the "Update my kindle" button but it would tell me that it wasn't able to work and then would reset. So needless to say my screen saver ghosts are still there and I cant get rid of them...Any help?!
Pierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:35 PM   #311
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@brecklundin: Yeah, I guess a dedicated wiki page could be done. It stayed on the forum for now because I wasn't 100% sure of every font, so it was easier to adapt the first post with feedback from people, but once we're pretty sure it's mostly correct, why not? If you have ideas for what to put on it, appart from the list of fonts used and where they're used, I'm open to suggestions .

@kilikini: Yeah, I guess calling Kindle CS would be the last resort if you're receiving it OTA non-stop. :/

@irha: Yeah, there's that, and there was a bug in the first version where if the usbnet directory didn't exist, the logfile wasn't ceated, so that was even more confusing . That's fixed now.
Err, about the ss, sorry, it's been a while... Do you have any issue left, or is it working?

@ichbindasauge: Yeah, don't know why it's missing some basic stuff that are here in the classic Droid Sans... >_<"

@Pierson: If it's the first time you're installing hacks, did you apply the JailBreak hack first?
Old 07-25-2010, 08:16 PM   #312
Pierson

how do you install the jailbreak hack? and what file is it? cause every time I try to install it tells me that it failed...anyone care to take a moment and give me step by step instructions including every file that needs to be put in and where?!

Last edited by Pierson; 07-25-2010 at 08:19 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:19 PM   #313
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Check the first part of the first post or the wiki page for detailed install instructions. (Basically, put the correct _install.bin for your Kindle model in the root directory & update). It's in the kindle-2.5-jailbreak-0.1.N.zip file.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-25-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:33 PM   #314
Pierson

Thanks a lot...got it to work immediately! AWESOME!
Old 07-26-2010, 03:36 AM   #315
ratflinger
Enthusiast
ratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: K3, Touch, Paperwhite 3G
Ok, I had to uninstall the ss for the 2.5.4 & 2.5.6 updates to load. Then I put the latest jailbreak into my K2, np failed with error 006 as expected. Then loaded the ss update, I get no error messages, but I also do not get the script saying the update was successful. I also still have dead authors (they came back with the update) even though I completely deleted them from the /system/screen_saver folder before. (they still aren't there so i guess the big A is hiding them elsewhere now). I moved in the linkss directory & have a screensavers dir under that with the ss I want, but noda - I still dead authors. What did I do wrong?
ratflinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet