Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 01-03-2010, 12:46 AM   #1
delcimai
delcimai began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 600
Where are the covers for the ebooks?

Hello: My husband got me the PRS 600 for Xmas. After experimenting with free ebooks on several web sites, I took the plunge and bought two books. They both downloaded without the pretty covers. The free books I exeperimented with did dowload with the covers. I was using the sony reader software. I switched to Calibre and was able to download the covers and then import them to the sony software, but they are in the pictures file on the software. I kinda would like the ebook and its cover all together. Not sure if I like this new-fangled ebook stuff being a hardcore reader of paper books and I know I will be unhappy if I can't get the covers on the ebooks that I buy. So why doesn't the cover always download as well and is there anything I can do?
Thanks all.
delcimai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:10 PM   #2
Xochipilli2012
Zealot
Xochipilli2012 began at the beginning.

Device: Red PRS-600, Slate Blue Astak EZReader Pocket Pro
Hi there!

Somehow your post came up in a Google search and I ended up joining this forum as a result, so thanks...hehehe.

As no one has responded to your post yet, I thought I would offer some possible information (which may prove to be erroneous--so keep your salt shaker handy).

Many people use the open source (and free) eBook management program called Calibre to manage their book collections. Calibre has the ability to add metadata for books in its collection, including cover images.

Someone else will probably come along with a better answer--but if you don't hear anything by the time my own PRS-600 arrives (next week, I hope), I'll probably be able to give you a better answer.

In the meantime, check out Calibre and see if it helps.

Take care!
Xochipilli2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2010, 08:58 AM   #3
stxopher
Nameless Being

I'm out of it a bit for reformatting for Sony so I must leave that alone for now (though you might also check the PRS section for help on that). The only thing I can say is that if you import the cover without it being inserted into the ebook file, Sony will just treat it as a picture. As far as I know you will need to manually add the cover into the file which will be difficult (if not impossible) if the format of the book is LRF.

If too have gotten more than a few digitals with no real cover so I understand what you are talking about. My guess is that it really devolves to licensing. I would hazard a guess that the publishers had a deal paying for the printing of hardcopy books but not for electronic distribution. If so then they had the choice of renegotiating a new deal or just skipping it entirely.

After looking at the plain cover that contains nothing more than the title and author over the watermark icon I'm sure you know which they chose.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:14 PM   #4
delcimai
delcimai began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 600
That is what I was thinking, that maybe it was licensing issue or something like that. I still think that if we are paying for the book then we should get all of the book including full covers that are in the paper versions. Thanks for your reply, I'll keep searching for the covers if they don't come with the Ebook
delcimai is offline   Reply With Quote