Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-04-2009, 05:05 AM   #1
Sjwdavies
Sjwdavies began at the beginning.

Device: none
Convert PDF To Sony eBook Format?

Guys - apologies if this has already been asked, I tried to search for an answer but didn't have any luck.

I'm looking at buying one of these cool little things but want to know if it's possible to buy books in PDF format then some how read them on the eBook. Is this possible?
Sjwdavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:53 AM   #2
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
Sony ereaders will read PDFs (as will many of the others) - no conversion needed.

The major issue is that the reader screen size doesn't necessarily fit the PDF page size. No biggie if you're looking at mainly text-based, A4/Letter pages. But if you're looking at highly diagrammatic docs, or large page sizes, the screens of most ereaders is just too small.
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2009, 07:21 AM   #3
eksor
Connoisseur
eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs700, i-mate JAMin, smartq v7, GeeksPhone Zero, iPad 3rd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjwdavies View Post
Guys - apologies if this has already been asked, I tried to search for an answer but didn't have any luck.

I'm looking at buying one of these cool little things but want to know if it's possible to buy books in PDF format then some how read them on the eBook. Is this possible?
You can try pdflrf or pdfread. both convert to lrf from pdf or djvu. Keep in mind that you no longer will have lines, words or letters, just images of the doc (unable to highlight then)

Another usefull tool is pdfcrop, works nicely with multicolumn docs.

Regards
eksor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:42 AM   #4
Sjwdavies

So i suppose it's fair to say it's not as good as reading it from a paper copy?
Old 12-04-2009, 09:44 AM   #5
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
So i suppose it's fair to say it's not as good as reading it from a paper copy?
Nope, trying to fit an 8inch paper into a 6inch screen usually isn't a good idea. PDF in general is not a good format for e-books IMHO
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2009, 09:56 AM   #6
Sjwdavies

Cheers.

The reason I ask is because my eyesight isn't the best, so I wouldn't want to spend a lot of money on an eBook to only find it difficult to use/read the books I want to.

Thanks guys
Old 12-04-2009, 09:59 AM   #7
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
For failing eyesight (beeing there myself) i would go with a reader that can handle epub. Most of those can display text from "Too small to even read" to "So large I get one word a page"
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 03:42 AM   #8
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
You can easily convert PDF to ePub using the free Calibre library software, SJW. You can then adjust text size to suit on your reader. Like you, my eyes ain't what they used to be, so I do that all the time on my Sony PRS-505 -- it's a much comfortable reading experience than print-on-paper books. Good luck with your choice. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 05:22 PM   #9
dejongj
New at this
dejongj began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Am I missing something. The only PDF's I've put on my PRS-600 are from my own word documents, and from the Apple Website in server documentation. Besides a quick crop in Acrobat to get rid of some of the excess white space they use, I seem to be able to change the font size just fine on the sony...And documents just flow just fine...

Or am I missing the point you guys/girls are making?
dejongj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:15 AM   #10
eksor
Connoisseur
eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs700, i-mate JAMin, smartq v7, GeeksPhone Zero, iPad 3rd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejongj View Post
Am I missing something. The only PDF's I've put on my PRS-600 are from my own word documents, and from the Apple Website in server documentation. Besides a quick crop in Acrobat to get rid of some of the excess white space they use, I seem to be able to change the font size just fine on the sony...And documents just flow just fine...

Or am I missing the point you guys/girls are making?
Yes, indeed. If you change font size on a pdf then formulas and vectorized graphics dissapear.

Regards.
eksor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:18 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

It's possible to buy PDF and use them as is. But this is highly not recommended for any device with a 6" screen. Best to buy ePub which you can read as is. But if you know how to strip DRM, you can purchase other reflowable formats such as MS Reader & Mobipocket and use Calibre to convert to ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:11 PM   #12
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
DRM protected PDF books explained

Quote:
When one upgrades the Reader software to 3.1 and accesses the Sony Reader Store, one MUST enter an ID and password for the Adobe site as well as the ID and password for the Sony Reader site.

In that way the new DRM protected PDF books can be read by the new PRS 900 and the new Reader 3.1 software. If you do not have an Adobe site password, go there and register to get one (www.adobe.com).
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:15 AM   #13
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
I've previously converted PDF's to word format using the website www.pdftoword.com, with sometimes mixed results - ie, it needed extra work before really flowing properly on my 505 - but it's one way to get past it. Mind you, I didn't know you could use Calibre to convert pdf to epub and (I'm presuming) get the text to reflow, so I'm about to give that a try.
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote