Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-02-2009, 01:34 PM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Sony PRS-505, text indents, paragraph spacing

Using the splendid new Sigil I'm working on creating an ePub and testing it on the PRS-505.

Despite the preview in Sigil showing paragraphs having a text indent, and no spacing between paragraphs, on the PRS-505 and Adobe Digital Editions I see no indent and a space between paragraphs.

I'm specifying the indents and spacing in the CSS like this:
p { text-indent: 1em; margin-bottom: 0em; margin-top: 0em }

and the paragraphs in the text are coded like this:

<p>My instruction in her history is derived from unimpeachable sources, not hitherto available;
much is lost through the interception of time and natural accident; but, from that which remains,
the present work has been studiously and faithfully compiled.</p>

What's going wrong? Can't Adobe Digital Editions handle CSS properly?

Any advice gratefully received.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:38 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Check the actual code and see if there is something that's being specified that's overriding the p in the CSS.

Or you could post the ePub and I'll have a look at it and see what I can find.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2009, 02:34 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah - so it should work then? In that case I'll look a bit closer, and perhaps try simplifying things until it works. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Check the actual code and see if there is something that's being specified that's overriding the p in the CSS.

Or you could post the ePub and I'll have a look at it and see what I can find.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:34 PM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Ah - so it should work then? In that case I'll look a bit closer, and perhaps try simplifying things until it works. Thanks.
How embarrassing. It seems I had a syntax error (an extra closing } ) at the end of my CSS styles. Apparently this causes ADE to throw away all the styles. Fixing this fixed things up a lot. Including getting my drop capital graphics to work as drop capitals. Hooray!
Old 08-02-2009, 04:36 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
those pesky extra closing brackets ! they're quite annoying. glad you caught it.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2009, 03:50 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Another annoyance I've found in CSS is having a missing ; can cause problems.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:51 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
The CSS validator can be useful, I think it should be included in epub validators.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:03 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Hmm... an XHTML and CSS validation command would be a nice addition to Sigil. I'll add it to his list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
The CSS validator can be useful, I think it should be included in epub validators.