Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-15-2012, 01:17 PM   #61
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Are AGs elected officials or appointed by the governor?
I'm guessing the AG in Minnesota my not be the most popular guy among the reading classes.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #62
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I won't try and speak for every state because they all can do things differently if they want but, to my knowledge, Attorney Generals are all elected officals. I am sure that there are exceptions to that rule, because there is always an exception.

I would bet that there were a lot of customers who were surprised when that email arrived in their mailboxes. Most people were not following the settlement or the case.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2012, 01:47 PM   #63
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I doubt I'll get a single penny since I'm a B&N Nook owner....however....I did buy from Amazon if it was cheaper. That being said....most of what I got was free or $3, and NOT from a major publisher.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:52 PM   #64
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

BN will be providing a credit.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:35 PM   #65
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
This is not correct. Anyone can register and purchase ebooks from Amazon.com with a foreign address and credit card.

The books which you can purchase are subject to geo-restrictions, but hundreds of thousands of ebooks have no such restrictions. You might pay more (or less) than the US price, but the books can be purchased nonetheless by those with non-USA billing information.
Keep in mind that just because you went to Amazon.com (from outside the US) and bought an ebook does not mean you bought the US version of the ebook from a US publisher. What versions of the ebook (UK, US) you are presented with depends on what your IP address is (which is why the VPNs come into play).

Two people from different countries (say US and UK) go to Amazon.com and look up the exact same title: even though there may be no restrictions keeping them from purchasing the title, they're still often seeing two different versions from two different publishers. And even if it's the exact same version of the ebook, it's not always the same publisher who has the rights to distribute the same title in different countries. So just because you went to Amazon.com and bought a title that was published in the US by Hachette, Harper Collins, or Simon & Schuster does not automatically mean your ebook was being sold by Amazon.com on behalf of one of those publishers who settled rather than go to court in this US antitrust suit. You likely bought it through one of those publishers' other imprints (or another publisher entirely) who had a completely different contract with Amazon.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-15-2012 at 04:50 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2012, 06:28 PM   #66
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Did you? Did you jump through technological geo-restrictive hoops to make these purchases directly though US ebook retailers, or did you purchase the ebooks the normal way?... Through foreign (to the US) subsidiaries licensed to sell the ebooks in your country. A country that is bound by entirely different laws and entirely different contracts between publisher/retailer?
People do travel to the USA on a regular basis you know! We've been three times in 18 months and our kindles always travel with us.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #67
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I went to the website in Amazon's email. www.EBookAGSettlements.com
I went to file a claim and found the following information: https://ebooksagsettlements.com/FileaClaim.aspx
â–*
If you bought E-book(s) through Amazon, you are not required to file a Claim Form to participate in the Settlements. You will receive a credit in your retailer account or you can request a check.
â–*
If you bought E-book(s) through Apple, Barnes & Noble or Kobo, you are not required to file a Claim Form to participate in this Settlement. You will receive an email or postcard notice with information about how to activate your credit or you can request a check.
â–*
If you bought E-books from Google or Sony, you are required to complete an online Claim Form. You will need to provide your Settlement ID number that was sent to you in an email or postcard when submitting your Claim. You are not required to complete Section III of the Claim Form.
â–*
If you bought E-book(s) from any other retailer not named above you are required to file a Claim Form in order to receive a settlement payment. Claim Forms must be filed online or mailed postmarked by December 12, 2012
Down below is the information that you have to provide in order to get a cash award. It looks like Google and Sony users are screwed and will have to hand file for every title.
It says for Google and Sony that you do not have to fill in Section III with specifics of each purchase if you have a settlement ID number. Don't know about Google purchases but I received an email from Sony this morning with my unique settlement ID number that goes in Section II and must be related to your purchase history. I think if you bought from other bookstores (like BooksOnBoard for example) then you will need to fill out the long form.

Last edited by Bookworm_Girl; 10-15-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:49 PM   #68
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Gotcha, I missed the section III part.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:27 PM   #69
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

However, I still haven't seen any emails from the other bookstores yet. Just Amazon and Sony so far.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:52 PM   #70
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
I got one from Kobo today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
However, I still haven't seen any emails from the other bookstores yet. Just Amazon and Sony so far.
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:20 PM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I did receive one from Kobo as well. I'm going to file one for BooksOnBoard as I have one purchase that qualifies for a refund.

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-15-2012 at 10:22 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:55 AM   #72
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I just received my email from Kobo this morning. They also provide you with a settlement ID number and instructions if you would prefer to receive a check rather than a credit to your account.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #73
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Hmm, kinda surprising, I've not got any emails yet. I know I've largely avoided the publishers that did Agency pricing, I know I did buy some.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:07 PM   #74
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
I’ve received emails from Sony and Kobo.

I called today since I wasn’t sure if I should list my purchases of Penguin and Macmillan books on the forms I am filling out for other retailers and was told I should include books from them.

I also asked about Borders and was told qualifying digital books purchased from Borders before they closed which were transferred to Kobo will be included as part of the settlement if they are currently listed as part of my Kobo library.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:58 PM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
We need to take the non-amazon talk to a new thread. We need a moderator to separate this thread. It's gone away from Amazon and the thread title makes it impossible to tell what this thread is now about.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote