Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-09-2012, 01:03 AM   #361
domm123
domm123 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, Kindle 3(Wifi), Kindle DXG, Kobo ereader(1st gen)
Now we need a backlit version for the DX version..
domm123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:11 AM   #362
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You cannot backlight an eInk screen because it's opaque. There never has been, and never will be, a backlit eInk device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2012, 03:06 AM   #363
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinekamel View Post
Look carefully: you need more light in a bright room, and less in a dark room. That means: contrast suffers without the light. It was expected with the capacitive touch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Yep I saw that but as someone who doesn't use a tablet, didn't notice the significance and wondered why it was the "wrong way round".
It's correct. If you're in a well lit room but aren't under a reading light; put the light on high for a brightness that you'll notice. If you're in a dark room, putting it on bright will probably make your eyes water since the brightness will be a shock to your eyes. If you're in sunlight, turn it off. You don't need it and you won't even be able to tell that it's on.

As far as concerns about it the touch screen creating a dullness over it like on the Sony PRS700, 600 & 900. I seriously doubt it, since the big deal is that it's brighter and whiter than any Kindle that has come before it.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:15 AM   #364
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Okay, so I'm still confused, or maybe just have not found an explanation that satisfies me, but IS this a NEW style e-ink display with improved contrast or is the "whiteness" only due to the light?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:18 AM   #365
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Amazon claim that the display has 25% increased contrast compared to a Pearl screen.
Advert
Old 09-09-2012, 06:30 AM   #366
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
I seriously doubt it, since the big deal is that it's brighter and whiter than any Kindle that has come before it.
Time for Amazon to branch out into a new market. For a whiter, brighter smile; use the all new Kindle Paste, now with Paperwhite

tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:59 AM   #367
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Okay, so I'm still confused, or maybe just have not found an explanation that satisfies me, but IS this a NEW style e-ink display with improved contrast or is the "whiteness" only due to the light?
If you check out the eInk site you will learn that

Quote:
Originally Posted by eInk
The latest Kindle, the Paperwhite, features a higher resolution screen, with 62% more pixels and 25% better contrast for sharp, dark text. The Paperwhite includes unique front light technology that allows for reading in any lighting condition, with an 8-week battery life - even with the light on. This new Kindle offers new hand-tuned fonts, with 6 font styles and 8 sizes. Choose between WiFi and 3G, and download books in under 60 seconds. The new Time to Read feature uses your reading speed to let you know when you'll finish your chapter. Uses E Ink Pearl Active Matrix Display.
So yes, it is a new screen, but no it is not some kind of revolutionary new eInk technology. Seems the front lighting is what really creates the magic.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:03 AM   #368
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I suspect that most of the increased contrast is due to the frontlight. Please notice that the instruction on the brightness control page is:
In brightly lit rooms, use a high setting.
Use a low setting for dark rooms.

So, the light is not only for reading in the dark, it is supposed to enhance the text/contrast/whatever in a *brightly* lit room.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle-Paperwhite-brightness-setting-thumb-598xauto-5253.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	92065  
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:39 AM   #369
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
someone posted this link in one of the other threads. It looks to me that with the backlight off, contrast and sharpness are still better on the Paperwhite than the Kindle Touch.

My guess is that if you are in a brightly lit room you could of course turn the light off...but if you wanted it on, Amazon is saying that strong light is better than weak light.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/6/329...ctures#3746597
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:44 AM   #370
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
So I guess that means that with the light off it looks similar to the old display but with higher resolution? If so, I'm pretty happy. For some reason having a bright white screen didn't necessarily excite me and I've really enjoyed the K3 screen in the couple of years I've been reading on it. I just wanted the front light for when I'm reading in bed and I don't want to disturb my partner.

Still like the idea of enhanced resolution though.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:58 AM   #371
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Bezos said in his keynote "you're going to like the light so much, you'll want to keep it on all the time." He used that as a segue into the great battery life (with the light on), but it's still worrisome to me. If Amazon thinks that people will use it with the light on at all times, maybe they don't care what the screen looks like when the light is off. I guess we will have to wait and see.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:03 AM   #372
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did a dry run, if I ordered today delivery was for Oct 4 thru 9. Guess they aren'r going like hot cakes quite yet.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:06 AM   #373
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Did a dry run, if I ordered today delivery was for Oct 4 thru 9. Guess they aren'r going like hot cakes quite yet.
Which model was that for?
Old 09-09-2012, 10:13 AM   #374
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Isn't this thread about the Paperwhite?
Released Oct 1. Or am I confused more than normally?
Old 09-09-2012, 10:14 AM   #375
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
Did that kick your delivery date forward a week or two? It would be nice if you didn't lose your place in line.
It didn't change, apparently. The estimated delivery date is still October 3rd. I got the cover I ordered yesterday; a graphite zip sleeve. It's not as pretty as my Oberons, but it's not bad, and I wanted something light and easily removable as this will be my reading in bed Kindle. Oberon covers are fantastic, but not for reading under the covers. My grandson's original flavor Fire is in a blue one, and it seems to offer pretty good protection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	41%2BmnwarTLL._AA300_.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	92082   Click image for larger version

Name:	513bXuIJZIL._AA300_.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	92083  
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote