Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-27-2009, 10:53 AM   #16
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But, that does make it unfair on perfectly legal customers. Just because I am not at home and using a UK IP does not mean I am not legally entitled to shop there. The fact that I have an account with a US address and a US bank card should be enough to let me purchase.
As I understand it, they are allowed to sell in the US, and not abroad. Strangely, the "location" of the transaction is where you, as a purchaser, are at that moment, so if you are not in the US (no matter your bank, credit card, nationality or phone number) they cannot sell to you.

It's as if buying physical goods and having them shipped to you. Sometimes you'll find shops or items that cannot (or will not) ship abroad, and if you are in the UK or in Mexico, no matter if you are a US citizen, you can't get them.

The difference is with shipping of physical goods there is some logic, whereas with ebooks and "soft" products it's just absurd (or it should be based on the shop's location, not on the customer's, at most).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:17 PM   #17
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why are you not able to buy it from FictionWise? FictionWise's "geographical restrictions" are trivial to avoid - just set the country in your profile to "USA" and pay by micropay.
Remember that this is lying. Some people might have a problem with this.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:25 PM   #18
AshW
Connoisseur
AshW doesn't litterAshW doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
It's as if buying physical goods and having them shipped to you. Sometimes you'll find shops or items that cannot (or will not) ship abroad, and if you are in the UK or in Mexico, no matter if you are a US citizen, you can't get them.

The difference is with shipping of physical goods there is some logic, whereas with ebooks and "soft" products it's just absurd (or it should be based on the shop's location, not on the customer's, at most).
Although that's another reason it's a bit crazy when it comes to books because that's one product that Amazon does ship internationally (where as they won't for computer games for example). It seems odd that the logic that books are tied to different publishers in different regions applies when it comes to digital distribution, but is not apparently a big deal for physical distribution.
AshW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:32 PM   #19
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshW View Post
It seems odd that the logic that books are tied to different publishers in different regions applies when it comes to digital distribution, but is not apparently a big deal for physical distribution.
The "legal reasoning" (if that means anything) is that the location of the sell for physical books is where the store is located, but for ebooks it is where the purchaser is located. Don't ask me why, I just reproduce what I've read.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:36 PM   #20
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Remember that this is lying. Some people might have a problem with this.
It depends. It only says "country", I don't see anywhere what this "country" should be (country of residence? country of birth? favourite country? northernmost country? next country you'll visit?). So, if you say US, that's a country and it's not a lie (But you can choose Antarctica, which is not a country, that would be a lie.)
Old 06-27-2009, 12:41 PM   #21
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
I just found waterstones. Nice, save for the fact they are selling only e-pub. that's drmed epub i guess ?
My reader don't read epub (yet).
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 01:06 PM   #22
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
From what I'm reading all over, most European stores will sell epub. Might have something to do with Amazon trying to get rid of Mobipocket (that's my thought at least!)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 01:51 PM   #23
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
I just found waterstones. Nice, save for the fact they are selling only e-pub. that's drmed epub i guess ?
Yes, definitely drmed epub!
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 02:01 PM   #24
AshW
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Sometimes it feels like we're being punished for being early adopters, but the truth is it's not that early. Most of these devices are onto their third generation at least. Any yet even with a fair amount of technical know-how if you have the wrong device in the wrong country it can be a struggle to get what you want. Even if you have the right device it's still complicated at times.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:12 PM   #25
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Yeah, regional restrictions are a mess. I went in Denmark for a while, and had steam going "Hey, what do you think you're doing, using a French credit card and you're in Denmark ??"
Well, that's the first time i've seen steam support being effective.
Then it sometimes happens to be a good thing. I tried to buy trackmania , so i didn't need the cd anymore. Steam fails, my being still in denemark i give up. The very next day, Hilys showed up "Hey guys, we're going to do an update with a no-cd".

I bought my fist epub. Now i need to un-drm it. And calibre will do the rest.
And wooo, a properly formated ebook
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:47 AM   #26
Snowman
Zealot
Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iPhone 5, Kindle K3, Kindle Voyage
Well I had a browse round the BOB UK site, and I must say that I was totally and cynically unsurprised to see that not a single one of the "Geographically Restricted" books on my wishlist was available from any publisher or distributor.

As far as I can see, the only "advantage" of this site is that I don't have to pay any $ to £ conversion fees. Instead, I can pay vastly inflated prices for books. The old "dollar == pound" conversion one used to see was bad enough, but I am seeing "dollar == pound * 1.5" or worse in some cases.

No wonder the UK is *still* known as "Treasure Island".

Snowman
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 12:48 PM   #27
AshW
Connoisseur

What a difference a day makes. Raging against the machine this morning because I couldn't get the book I wanted. But thanks to some advice and research I've since...

Purchased a book on Fictionwise
Purchased a book on Books on Board
Purchased a book from Waterstones (only available in the UK atm)
Downloaded several free books from Feedbooks
Downloaded a free book from the US Sony store
Format shifted where needed/possible
Converted to prefered format (thanks Calibre)

And I'm all set for my holiday reading and loving my reader again.

The thing is I'm happy to pay for books. I want to pay for books. But don't make it hard for me to do that please!
Old 06-28-2009, 04:14 PM   #28
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshW View Post
The thing is I'm happy to pay for books. I want to pay for books. But don't make it hard for me to do that please!
I totally agree. You don't know how difficult to explain that you've been able to pay for a book
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 04:49 PM   #29
Lycoming
Capt Chaos II
Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2
Ash I had similar problems just now but found the books I wanted on WHSmith, often cheaper than W'stones.

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/jump-pages/books-ebooks.aspx
Lycoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:16 AM   #30
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
I found I could buy a US only book fine, just by setting the shipping address in Paypal to the US address of a friend. There are ways round these things, though its annoying - the easiest I have found is to buy vouchers, and then pay with those.

I am using a Sony PRS505, in the UK, and found this forum and others great to find ways round things. It's not like we are pirating anything, though there is the legal issue of buying outside the geographical distribution of the publisher. I don't mind so much buying an ebook in the UK if it is available in both UK and US (though we get seriously ripped off price wise), but I have been enjoying some authors that are only distributed in the US, pback or ebook, or where there are say 10 books available on the US websites and only 2 or 3 in the limited range of ebook shops in the UK.

I think longer term if the ebook market is to thrive, the whole distribution and restrictions concept needs to be rethought and not necessarily be the same as the print model on which it is currently based.
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote