Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-11-2009, 10:17 PM   #16
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
I just wonder why you can't zoom or reflow PDF's at all in portrait mode. The Sony can do it, so it can't be a hardware power thing.

Last edited by Teddman; 06-11-2009 at 10:20 PM.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:43 PM   #17
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So do you think Amazon botched the PDF viewer?
I want a bigger screen but I know Sony will come out with one this year, so I'm waiting for that. With their reflowable DRM PDF and zooming capability, it will be a better device. I have a Kindle 2, so I will wait for the Sony!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:54 PM   #18
myridom
Enthusiast
myridom doesn't littermyridom doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I think it's a work in progress... Let's see what they do.
myridom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:01 PM   #19
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
I think if they never change it, it's fair to say it's gimped and other ereaders are preferable. But I have faith that Amazon will integrate the PDF function more in future software versions.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:06 PM   #20
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
I think if they never change it, it's fair to say it's gimped and other ereaders are preferable. But I have faith that Amazon will integrate the PDF function more in future software versions.
Except that Amazon hasn't added vast new abilities in the past upgrades. They've only been incremental improvements. I don't think they will do it this time either.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:18 PM   #21
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Except that Amazon hasn't added vast new abilities in the past upgrades. They've only been incremental improvements. I don't think they will do it this time either.
Not true; the 1.2 firmware for K1 gave it WhisperSync, Image Zoom, and support for Greek and Monospace fonts.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:29 AM   #22
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Sounds like this may have been a rush to head off both the Plastic Logic unit and potential units from the newspapers themselves. Probably the right course of action (for Amazon), though.
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:59 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I am surprised how lackluster the PDF support is. I am surprised that Adobe didn't insist that PDF support be there in full.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:48 AM   #24
shamsus
shamsus began at the beginning.

Device: Toshiba m200, and viewsonic airsync v210--- Yes! :-)
of the 10 or so docs I opened so far. the table of contents did not work.

the higher res display is gorgious.. 'free wireless internet'..!! are you kiidding??!! I pay $35 for the same thing on my AT&T bill.. i opened a dozen mobile optimized sites and they worked perfectly.. one good starting point for that is cantoni.mobi (list of links for cell phone users that point to sites designed to display on a very simple browser)..

all the pdfs except for 1 opened and i could flip pages and go ato a certain page number but the referesh was pretty slow but usable.

m
shamsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:13 AM   #25
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Not true; the 1.2 firmware for K1 gave it WhisperSync, Image Zoom, and support for Greek and Monospace fonts.
The image zoom was already there; i just wasn't enabled for all images. And the font support was already present in the Java code; you just couldn't access it.

Whispersync was a major upgrade, I'll give you that.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:10 PM   #26
MikeR
MikeR began at the beginning.

Device: none
Large Print for Visually Impaired

I am considering buying one of these for my grandmother, who can read playing cards, but has trouble with standard large print books. Im worried that the Kindle DX wont be able to enlarge text enough for her. Can anyone report how large the kindle DX text can be made by default for standard Amazon downloadable books?
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:23 PM   #27
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
Can anyone report how large the kindle DX text can be made by default for standard Amazon downloadable books?
The font sizes are the same as the Kindle 2, which is very disappointing. I have screenshots of the fonts on the Kindle 1 (same size again), see Font Sizes. Note that the screenshots will appear larger on a computer monitor, than on the Kindle screen. The menus are easier to read on the KDX though, see Windwalker Review of the KDX.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:47 PM   #28
jcolinzheng
jcolinzheng began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Does anyone know if jumping to specific page is possible in the PDF viewer?
Lacking this would be a deal breaker.

For those in academia (esp math, CS) here's a review on Kindle DX for math:
http://blog.computationalcomplexity....kindle-dx.html
jcolinzheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:59 PM   #29
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolinzheng View Post
Lacking this would be a deal breaker.

For those in academia (esp math, CS) here's a review on Kindle DX for math:
http://blog.computationalcomplexity....kindle-dx.html
At present you would have to bookmark the page, or use the "go to location" feature.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:05 PM   #30
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolinzheng View Post
The User's Guide indicates that there is a "Go to Page" option in the PDF menu. Perhaps this is what poohbear_nc means by "go to location"
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote