Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-31-2013, 10:21 PM   #16
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Thanks, jocampo. One of the reasons for waiting so long to upgrade is that I work for the government and devices with cameras aren't allowed. The first generation has no cameras. Now that I'm retiring in two months, that's no longer an issue.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:48 PM   #17
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
My trigger finger is on the "Buy" button, and unless someone can persuade me otherwise, I'll order the 128GB Wifi only iPad on November 1st at 3 AM EST.

From 9to5Mac:
And I'll be ordering the 128GB wifi/cellular at 12:01 MST....I was able to get $220 for my IPad2 which was bought over two years ago....looking forward to the retina display, lighter weight and the faster processor.....YUMMY!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:12 AM   #18
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Well enjoy your new iPads! And yeah, a huge congrats!

128GB isn't enough for me. Like enough for my apps, but then not my personal documents. I've been through this before. 300GB is the sweet spot for me.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:10 AM   #19
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Apple Store down, just a couple of hours now.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:18 AM   #20
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I just find it amazing that not too too long ago, my desktop computer had much less storage space than 128GB, and that was the norm, and I liked it gosh darn it! How fast things change. Of course, they always have been changing. My desktop now is 1TB and it feels like more than enough at the moment - I just wonder if we're reaching a ceiling with storage space or if in years we'll be at 10TB, 100TB, 500TB or more and think that 1TB was rather small. My current iPad mini though is, compared to 128GB, a rather paltry 16GB but I like it - I only keep what I most want on it and use it mostly as a glorified e-reader, so it's plenty of space for me.

Anyway, enjoy your new iPad Tom! The new iPad Airs look great.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:27 AM   #21
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
128GB isn't enough for me. Like enough for my apps, but then not my personal documents.
I really don't get this. Storing all personal documents on a single device, and an iPad of all things, would be extremely inconvenient for me. Manually copying files back and forth whenever I need to edit them? Sounds like hell.

In contrast, I have (combined) over 100 GB of free cloud storage available, allowing me to access any and all kinds of files on demand, on any of my computers or handheld devices, whenever and wherever the files are needed. I can't understand why anyone would wish to exchange that convenience of universal access for local storage on a single device. Not me, ladies and gentlemen.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:08 AM   #22
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I just find it amazing that not too too long ago, my desktop computer had much less storage space than 128GB, and that was the norm, and I liked it gosh darn it! How fast things change. Of course, they always have been changing. My desktop now is 1TB and it feels like more than enough at the moment - I just wonder if we're reaching a ceiling with storage space or if in years we'll be at 10TB, 100TB, 500TB or more and think that 1TB was rather small.
*Looks at 12TB file server with less than 1TB free* Never?

I think for the average user, 1TB is more than enough. There's always going to be some corner cases, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
I really don't get this. Storing all personal documents on a single device, and an iPad of all things, would be extremely inconvenient for me. Manually copying files back and forth whenever I need to edit them? Sounds like hell.
Sure, try editing that movie over the cloud.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:56 AM   #23
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Sure, try editing that movie over the cloud.
No one talks about editing in the cloud. It's about storing in the cloud. As soon as you need to edit something, you download the file to the appropriate device on which you wish to edit it. Which I have no idea in advance as to which device it will be (3 tablets here, plus a MacBook, a Windows desktop machine and a Windows notebook, not to mention iPhone). Which is exactly why it would be extremely inconvenient to store the file on any one specific device from among these. Nope: the file must be accessible from everywhere, to be available on demand at all times.

By the way, after you're done editing the movie, is it preferable to keep it stored on that device where you edited it? I'd say it's not, for many users. Because again, if you later wish to use (or simply show off) your creation elsewhere, it would be extremely inconvenient to have the file stored on a single device only, having to manually copy it from that single device whenever you need to access it elsewhere.

As soon as I'm done editing a file, I send it away to the cloud, so that it becomes accessible everywhere. Whereupon it's no longer necessary to keep the local copy of it.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:57 AM   #24
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

4 minutes and counting.....
Old 11-01-2013, 04:26 AM   #25
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Mine is ordered, but now I'm waiting on something more definite in my email inbox than, "Your order is being processed‏." I also ordered a brown Smart Case. I think they're ugly, but at least they afford some protection.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:31 AM   #26
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Mine also creates smudges (or "grease lines") on the screen, so I prefer not to use it if not absolutely necessary. Some quality for $70.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:31 AM   #27
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Mine also creates smudges (or "grease lines") on the screen, so I prefer not to use it if not absolutely necessary. Some quality for $70.
That's nice to know.

What I'd really like is an Oberon Sleeve like the one that protects my Kindle Paperwhite. Unfortunately, (1) Oberon Design hasn't yet added the iPad Air to the list of devices for which they make covers, and (2) they don't make sleeves for any of the iPads; only covers.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:46 AM   #28
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I bought the Snugg case. It was a lot cheaper than the Apple cases.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #29
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Had my finger on the button last night, chickened out, woke up this AM and said "the hell with it" and ordered anyway.

Will be here Monday....Thought about the case.....will probably pick it up eventually. I have to agree....its ugly. But i like the way it works.....Guess there is a trip to the apple store this weekend anyway......
Old 11-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #30
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
I heard we can get one from Walmart, can't we? I may swing there and check.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote