Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-03-2010, 12:35 PM   #1
bamelin
Enthusiast
bamelin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Instruction Book Included with Kobo -- It Blows

I want to give some feedback about the (printed) instruction manual included with the device, and this is the feedback of somebody completely new to ereading. I realize that for the more tech savvy here on the forums the instructions probably aren't even needed at all.

But for older folks buying this (and yes there are alot out there that will either buy it themselves or get it as a gift), the instructions included with the package aren't good enough. Heck I consider myself fairly tech savvy but I'm new to ereading ... for me the instruction pamphlet really didn't answer alot of questions. I knew where to go online to get answers to some of those questions, but most older people will not (and will call customer support)

We've already seen questions like "how do I turn it off" here on the forums, I think I'd have been asking that too if I hadn't registered here and did alot of research online about the Kobo.

At 150 dollars there will be alot of people who are new to ereading buying the Kobo. I personally feel that there needs to be a printed manual that goes more in depth on how to download books from the Kobo store as well as how to get books onto the unit that aren't from the Kobo store (public library ebooks, other stores, etc).

All that's going to end up happening is that customer support will be flooded with calls with questions that could have been easily resolved by having a decent instruction manual included with the product. Those calls cost money ...

Last edited by bamelin; 05-03-2010 at 12:42 PM.
bamelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:38 PM   #2
lchen
Connoisseur
lchen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader
Good point. I hope Kobobooks or the Koboereader site put up a more detailed FAQ or revised manual online.
lchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 12:44 PM   #3
Turt99
Connoisseur
Turt99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I believe if you look in the Menu of the device you will see a User Guide. Does the printed "quick start" explain how to get to that user guide?

I agree though, I chuckled a little when I saw the User Guide in the menu. What if I don't know how to work the device.
Turt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:49 PM   #4
bamelin
Enthusiast
bamelin began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turt99 View Post
I believe if you look in the Menu of the device you will see a User Guide. Does the printed "quick start" explain how to get to that user guide?

I agree though, I chuckled a little when I saw the User Guide in the menu. What if I don't know how to work the device.
I didn't even FIND the installed user guide until the day after I had bought the product. Heck I didn't even know there WAS a user guide installed on the Kobo.

At the very least the printed quick start manual should tell people how to get to that installed user guide.
bamelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:22 PM   #5
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Also, once you plug the device in to charge it via USB, the display is locked -- and so is access to the user guide ... since it's on the device. The quick start guide is fine as it goes -- and I'm not advocating including a 100 page printed manual. But considerably more EXPLICIT hand-holding would be welcome. The device itself is pretty easy to use and learn, stand alone, as it comes with 100 books to play with. Where the instructions fall down, badly, is the connectivity: installing the desktop software, setting up a Kobo account, loading up Adobe Digital Editions. None of this is terribly difficult ... once you know how. It's a serious usability gap.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2010, 10:39 AM   #6
JCSullivan
Chief Inspector Gamache
JCSullivan began at the beginning.

Device: Viewsonic
Quote:
It blows
Now that's an understatement.
JCSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:25 PM   #7
Bonnylass
Bonnylass began at the beginning.

I bought my Kobo to read books from Harlequin/Silhuette. Now, I'm one of your older non-techie people (I'm 74) but I've been using a computer for years. I did manage to buy the book, download Adobe Digital Editions, and download the book in .pdf form to the Adobe device. Now what? I can't figure out how to mpve it to my Kobo reader. It says to drag it. Drag what? I'm stumped. Help, please.

Florence
Bonnylass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:08 PM   #8
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Bonnylass, If you plug the Kobo in before you open ADE and then open ADE you should see the Kobo icon on the left side of the ADE window. You then just have to click on 'library' in ADE and then drag the book you want to the Kobo icon.

I have hear that if ADE is on before plugging in it doesn't work. I haven't tried doing it that way.

You can also download the free Calibre program and convert the PDF to epub quite easily and then plug in the Kobo and add book to reader through Calibre and leave ADE out of it.

I find epub easier to read than PDF is why that long drawn out drivvle.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:28 PM   #9
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnylass View Post
I bought my Kobo to read books from Harlequin/Silhuette. Now, I'm one of your older non-techie people (I'm 74) but I've been using a computer for years. I did manage to buy the book, download Adobe Digital Editions, and download the book in .pdf form to the Adobe device. Now what? I can't figure out how to mpve it to my Kobo reader. It says to drag it. Drag what? I'm stumped. Help, please.

Florence
I don't believe you're going to be happy with PDF books on your Kobo. Go for ePub.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:46 PM   #10
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Yes I have found the lack of adequate instructions to be frustrating as well. As for the user guide actually being on the device! Where is it exactly? I've never noticed it.
While I was able to get the Kobo up and running - mostly - I find that the lack of instructions about how to deal with ADE and Calibre a concern.
Obviously Kobo want us to only purchase from Kobobooks or Borders but I found the trial and error approach rather daunting when purchasing from other sources.

Bonnylass
Just be aware that if you are reading PDF's they will be in the document section not in books. You might find them easier to read by using the Kobo in landscape (sideways) and paging down to get the full page. You need more page turns that way so your battery won't last as long but you can get the font size bigger which could be a consideration for you.
I also recommend ePub rather than PDF if you have the choice.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:44 PM   #11
Mememememe
Connoisseur
Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.

I haven't looked at the User Guide since I first got the unit. It was brutal -- it told you to do things that you couldn't actually do. (As I recall, one of the problems was that it told you you could use your desktop app to remove items from your I'm Reading list ... which, of course, you couldn't do then, and can't do now.)

It may or may not have been updated with the firmware update -- I have no idea. Clearly it was a work-in-progress, as was the reader at that time.

I suspect the failings of the User Guide were among the reasons Kobo's customer support folks were overwhelmed in the early days of the reader -- people were only getting confused by the User Guide.

I'd like to think the User Guide problems have been addressed.
Mememememe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:29 AM   #12
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnylass View Post

Florence
Where did you buy the book from? If you bought the book from the Kobo store, then your best bet is to just use the Kobo desktop app to download the book and then transfer it to your Kobo device. That seems to have the least amount of issues.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:37 AM   #13
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
Just be aware that if you are reading PDF's they will be in the document section not in books. You might find them easier to read by using the Kobo in landscape (sideways) and paging down to get the full page. You need more page turns that way so your battery won't last as long but you can get the font size bigger which could be a consideration for you.
I also recommend ePub rather than PDF if you have the choice.

Kobo doesn't offer landscape viewing yet. Maybe we should ask for it in next firmware upgrade. Also if a pdf is DRM'd with ADE protection, Calibre cannot convert it.
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:58 PM   #14
bmacaskill
Enthusiast
bmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
I don't believe you're going to be happy with PDF books on your Kobo. Go for ePub.
ADE supports ePubs.
bmacaskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:14 PM   #15
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieknits View Post
Kobo doesn't offer landscape viewing yet. Maybe we should ask for it in next firmware upgrade. Also if a pdf is DRM'd with ADE protection, Calibre cannot convert it.
Landscape is not available when reading in the books sections of a Kobo however we are talking about reading PDFs which are in the document section where you do get the choice of portrait or landscape mode.
Once you have a particular PDF open to read you press the display button and your are given several "magnification" choices and also "orientation" choices of either portrait or landscape. I find that reading PDFs in portrait is almost impossible. My personal preference is "whole page" and "landscape"

As to the ePub vs PDF comments I was suggesting that Bonnylass download her books in ePub format rather than PDF assuming she is given the choice. Maybe she is really a computer wiz but I think most 74 year olds would rather be reading their books and not removing DRM and converting formats with Calibre.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote