Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-07-2009, 10:27 AM   #331
Jaime_Astorga
Member Retired
Jaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS-350-SC: Sony Reader Pocket Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by osnova View Post
What public domain movies are there? Any worth watching?
Sure! The Last Man on Earth, Night of the Living Dead, Nosferatu, and several Charlie Chaplin comedies are currently in the public domain.

The Last Man on Earth: Internet Archive, YouTube, Google Video, Hulu
Night of the Living Dead: Internet Archive, YouTube, Google Video, Hulu
Nosferatu: Internet Archive, YouTube, Google Video
Charlie Chaplin movies: Internet Archive

Anyways, on topic, I think the ACTA is an unholy abomination and will be sure to pirate as much as I can before it has a chance to be enacted.
Jaime_Astorga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:41 AM   #332
llreader
Mesmerist
llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 Silver. Much nicer than I expected.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime_Astorga View Post
Sure! The Last Man on Earth, Night of the Living Dead, Nosferatu, and several Charlie Chaplin comedies are currently in the public domain.

The Last Man on Earth: Internet Archive, YouTube, Google Video, Hulu
Night of the Living Dead: Internet Archive, YouTube, Google Video, Hulu
Nosferatu: Internet Archive, YouTube, Google Video
Charlie Chaplin movies: Internet Archive

Anyways, on topic, I think the ACTA is an unholy abomination and will be sure to pirate as much as I can before it has a chance to be enacted.
Fascinating! I just went and read why NotLD is public domain, because it is still a hip cultural referent.

Also, here is a longer List of movies in the Public Domain.

EDIT: Hmm. Some of that list is wrong. "The Satanic Rites of Dracula" is on the list and doesn't seem to actually be in the public domain.

Last edited by llreader; 12-07-2009 at 10:44 AM.
llreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2009, 12:34 PM   #333
Jaime_Astorga
Member Retired
Jaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS-350-SC: Sony Reader Pocket Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by llreader View Post
Fascinating! I just went and read why NotLD is public domain, because it is still a hip cultural referent.
Yeah, that was an amusing mistake. Copyright wasn't granted automatically in those days, so a technicality put it in the public domain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llreader View Post
Also, here is a longer List of movies in the Public Domain.
Wow, I found some more interesting movies while browsing that list!

The Phantom of the Opera: Internet Archive, Google Video
The Boy in the Plastic Bubble: Internet Archive, Youtube
The Little Shop Of Horrors: Internet Archive
Gulliver's Travels: Internet Archive
The Lost World: Internet Archive
Mark of Zorro: Internet Archive
Jaime_Astorga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:52 PM   #334
llreader
Mesmerist
llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 Silver. Much nicer than I expected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime_Astorga View Post
Yeah, that was an amusing mistake. Copyright wasn't granted automatically in those days, so a technicality put it in the public domain.

Wow, I found some more interesting movies while browsing that list!

The Phantom of the Opera: Internet Archive, Google Video
The Boy in the Plastic Bubble: Internet Archive, Youtube
The Little Shop Of Horrors: Internet Archive
Gulliver's Travels: Internet Archive
The Lost World: Internet Archive
Mark of Zorro: Internet Archive
Very nice. Now, no one ask exactly why I clicked the link for "The Satanic Rites of Dracula"...
llreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:56 PM   #335
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by osnova View Post
What public domain movies are there? Any worth watching?
The images, but not the "story", of It's a Wonderful Life are in the public domain.

I keep waiting for the "What's Up Tiger Lily" fan-made redub of the whole thing to hit YouTube.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2009, 01:01 PM   #336
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
The images, but not the "story", of It's a Wonderful Life are in the public domain.

I keep waiting for the "What's Up Tiger Lily" fan-made redub of the whole thing to hit YouTube.
Unbelievable, truly, gobsmackingly unbelievable. It's this kind of behaviour on the part of the copyright hoarders that makes me feel absolutely no guilt at all in now going to the .torrent sites and downloading a lovely 1080p Hi-Def version of this movie Hoist the flag, mateys! All aboard for Christmasy type feelgoodness!
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:09 PM   #337
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Unbelievable, truly, gobsmackingly unbelievable. It's this kind of behaviour on the part of the copyright hoarders that makes me feel absolutely no guilt at all in now going to the .torrent sites and downloading a lovely 1080p Hi-Def version of this movie Hoist the flag, mateys! All aboard for Christmasy type feelgoodness!
No! That is Wrong!

You are supposed to watch it on network television, in its purchased timeslot, and leaving the room during commercials is stealing from the advertisers who paid for it!

Alternately, you may download only the images, and listen to it with a (public-domain) soundtrack of your choice. I suggest attempting to match it to Hamlet.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:43 PM   #338
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Round seven of ACTA begins next week in Mexico. I don't know what all the fuss is about transparency. They've published an entire agenda.

http://www.mfat.govt.nz/Trade-and-Ec...roundseven.php
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:07 PM   #339
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
A whole day on IP enforcement, an hour on transparency.

Yea, priorities.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:54 PM   #340
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
No! That is Wrong!

You are supposed to watch it on network television, in its purchased timeslot, and leaving the room during commercials is stealing from the advertisers who paid for it!

Alternately, you may download only the images, and listen to it with a (public-domain) soundtrack of your choice. I suggest attempting to match it to Hamlet.

Actually, in the US you could record the audio (legal - SONY Betamax decision) and mash it up with the P.D. images - also legal, for your own copy....

As to P.D. works, there are 4 Three Stooges shorts

and - My Man Godfrey...

As well as any silent movie before 1923, (not because it's silent, but because sound didn't come out until 1929 in the US. - Down, UFA fans....)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote