Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-01-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
powellcd
powellcd began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Transfer from Sony 505 elibrary to Calibre?

Hi,
I have just installed Calibre as I want to edit the author's name on the books provided by Sony with my new PRS-505.

I have looked at Calibre's import options but I cannot find any files in the Sony elibrary folder which match.

Is it possible to import from elibrary or the PRS-505, and if so, how?

Thanks and regards,
Chris
powellcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:02 PM   #2
Kostas
Still wondering why
Kostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS 505, (BlackBerry Bold ?)
1) You have to access the physical file, whether it is located on your PRS 505 or the HD of your computer and drag and drop it in Calibre.
I don't think that you can transfer directly files from sony library.

2) Your files must be in a format that Calibre can read and DRM free.
I you have bought books in the sony bookstore, they are in lrx format that is DRM protected and cannot be imported in Calibre (or antyhing else but Sony library and sony devices).
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2009, 04:58 PM   #3
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
I you have bought books in the sony bookstore, they are in lrx format that is DRM protected and cannot be imported in Calibre (or antyhing else but Sony library and sony devices).
No longer true - Calibre can import them and edit their metadata, it just can't convert them to other formats.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:39 PM   #4
Kostas
Still wondering why
Kostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
No longer true - Calibre can import them and edit their metadata, it just can't convert them to other formats.
Never heard before!
Good news! Thanks a lot!
Old 09-01-2009, 05:58 PM   #5
powellcd

Many thanks to all of you who replied. I do appreciate your time and interest.

However it appears to me that the actual individual books are hidden within some elibrary database as I cannot locate them individually by their file extension or book name.

Am I missing something here? If someone could give me a walk-through for one of the pre-installed 505 books as an example it would be very helpful.

Thanks as always,
Regards,
Chris
Advert
Old 09-01-2009, 06:38 PM   #6
RandallFlagg
Hey Trashcan Man
RandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook color, prs 505, Axim x30, psp, Acer Aspire One [running xp]
Quote:
Originally Posted by powellcd View Post
Many thanks to all of you who replied. I do appreciate your time and interest.

However it appears to me that the actual individual books are hidden within some elibrary database as I cannot locate them individually by their file extension or book name.

Am I missing something here? If someone could give me a walk-through for one of the pre-installed 505 books as an example it would be very helpful.

Thanks as always,
Regards,
Chris
The books you download from Sony should be saved in My Documents\My Books\ebook Library and the extension would be either lrx or lrf. I've gotten both from their downloads. The name of the book or file is something like CBUS12511001900T.lrf and the type is BBeB book or BBeB secure book. Hope that's what your looking for
RandallFlagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:25 PM   #7
Kostas
Still wondering why

And on your PRS (which you can access as an external drive) your pre-installed books should be in \database\media\books.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:50 PM   #8
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Also--if you're still having trouble locating your books, when you have the Sony Reader open and the book open for viewing, if you click on the "i" for information, it will show you the path of the book. On the 3.0 software, the "i" is a circle icon with an "i" in it in the upper left hand corner of the reader pane. Not sure where it's located in previous versions.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:15 PM   #9
powellcd

Brilliant info thanks everyone.
I located the .lrf files manually as 'search' on my Vista PC did not find any files with that extension. I made sure that folder properties was set to show all file types everywhere but it still could not find them.

However I have just imported a book into Calibre, edited the author’s name metadata and exported back to the 505 with no problems thus achieving my original aim of getting the ‘By Author’ sort to work properly by sorting on the author’s surname instead of first name.

There is already a ‘sort’ piece of metadata with the surname first but it seems that the Sony ignores this.

Many thanks to all of you. You were quick and very helpful. Much obliged.

Regards,
Chris