Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-19-2008, 05:20 PM   #1
talula
talula began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Non-leather kindle cover option?

I am thinking of purchasing a Kindle, but (for my own reasons) I would rather not use the leather cover that Amazon supplies. I have two questions:

1) Can Kindle be conveniently used without a cover, or is the device basically designed to be used with its cover? I get the sense from some of the posts that it is not especially easy to handle and use the Kindle without the cover. Is that right?

2) Does any third party seller have a non-leather non-suede version of the Kindle cover? I noticed that M-Edge's cover has a synthetic exterior, but it has a suede interior. Also, the Waterfield cases appear to be just that--cases--and not intended to serve the same function as the cover.

Thanks for your help!
talula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 05:51 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Much easier to hold onto while reading with a cover
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2008, 07:09 PM   #3
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I like using it without the cover. I like having a cover on it when I put it in my handbag and when I'm reading in the dark I need one to clip my booklight to. Other than that, it's fine. If you've watched the video on Amazon, you'll notice the guy on there doesn't use the cover, either.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 10:18 PM   #4
kandit
kandit began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Alisa - which book light did you get for your Kindle and do you like it?
kandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:19 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
It can be used without a cover, but it definitely needs protection when traveling and the most common damage to E-Ink screens is from strong local pressure (e.g. from an object pressed against the screen) which a cover protects against.

I have the M-Edge Kindle cover, and I'm not sure the "suede" interior is leather (I have the same cover for my iLiad with the same interior, and ereaderoutfitters advertise it as having a "soft cloth" interior). I suggest checking with M-Edge. The M-Edge cover is an improvement on the original, and I recommend it.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2008, 01:32 PM   #6
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I have the Mighty Bright LED booklight. I wish it were smaller but there's not much smaller available. It works very well.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 02:30 PM   #7
kandit
kandit began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks A - I will have to order one then.
kandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:18 AM   #8
talula
talula began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Upon Wallcraft's suggestion, I checked with M-Edge and, to my surprise, they told me that the "suede" used in the cover was not leather. (I'm not sure why they advertise it as suede, if it is fake...but no matter). I was happy to hear it, and ordered one yesterday.

Thanks for your help.
talula is offline   Reply With Quote