Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #1
Latch
Porcupine Tree fan
Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Don't buy a tablet!!

I made the mistake of picking up an Acer Iconia A500 tablet. As a result, I haven't picked up my Kobo in more than a month. I'm still 60% done 'Under the Dome', but I am getting a lot of Tom Baker-era Doctor Who, Some Mothers Do Ave Em, and Space: 1999 reruns watched. There was an article a fe weeks ago about ereaders being shunted aside for tablets since the lure of the shiny video or game or web browsing was just too strong. I must agree.
Latch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
lol, I wan't a Fire or maybe even an iPad but I fear I will not get any reading done either
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Just the opposite for me. I have a Asus Transformer and an Nook Tab and they both sit not used more often than not. My Kindle still gets a good workout every day.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:32 PM   #4
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Eh. I highly doubt a tablet would reduce my reading further than my desktop already does - it would just do so while I'm lounging on the couch instead of sitting in this chair. :P
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:39 PM   #5
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
I do agree somewhat with your observation. I'm stilling reading on my Touch but certainly not as much as I used to.

Now off to figure out that last Angry Birds level.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2012, 08:48 PM   #6
imsoawesome
Enthusiast
imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.

I will heed your warning!

I love my ereader because it has no distractions. Used to read on my Android but would constantly check other sites etc. For me the Kobo was an upgrade, it forces me to get engrossed in books.
imsoawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:11 PM   #7
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
I don't see the point of watching movies/tv shows or listening to music on my tablet, and I'd rather play games on my desktop or laptop. I only use my Vox for reading the occasional freebie I've downloaded to the Kindle app. The Kobo Touch, though, is my constant companion. I'm only glad I didn't waste money on a more expensive tablet.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:33 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I find the desktop/laptop is more of a distraction to reading then the the iPad. Sure, I use the iPad for non-reading. But it's not that difficult to just read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:58 AM   #9
Orn8one
Groupie
Orn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony 650 and Cool-er
I use both my iPad and my Touch every day. The iPad is hopeless in sunlight. The Touch doesn't have Angry Birds. Before bed the Touch's gentle screen is perfect. In the morning the iPad picks up where I left off and has the news. Room for both in my life.
Orn8one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:13 PM   #10
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latch View Post
I made the mistake of picking up an Acer Iconia A500 tablet. As a result, I haven't picked up my Kobo in more than a month. I'm still 60% done 'Under the Dome', but I am getting a lot of Tom Baker-era Doctor Who, Some Mothers Do Ave Em, and Space: 1999 reruns watched. There was an article a fe weeks ago about ereaders being shunted aside for tablets since the lure of the shiny video or game or web browsing was just too strong. I must agree.
I hear what you're saying!!! I use my Kobo WiFi a lot less now that I have my Vox. BUT...I must say, having a tablet is MUCH more convenient for travel. I recently travelled and used my Vox for reading a book, reading several magazines, watching a movie, surfing the internet and also playing a video game.

I don't think it's a mistake to buy a tablet - I think it's a mistake to read on your tablet when you could be reading on your e-ink e-reader...who needs the eye strain? But when you factor in the ease of travelling with one device, a tablet is probably the best purchase you'll ever make.

I also know people who like having the option of reading on their tablet because it's backlit and they can read in a dark room (like when your spouse is already sleeping). I also know people who prefer to read on their Vox now vs. their WiFi or Touch because of Reading Life and Pulse (I have since given up on caring about those two...).

You'd be surprised how many people have multiple devices and enjoy them all!!!! Just like multiple video game consoles (we have an older Playstation, a Wii and now XBox Kinect). We're living in a techie world!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:00 PM   #11
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
I never use my tablet for extended reading. It's an Asus Slider, and I use it basically like a netbook. But I'd never want to read for an hour on a back-lit screen. My Kobo Touch is still a vastly better reader. Both my tablet and my ereader get daily use.
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:57 AM   #12
GoingDown
Zealot
GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.

I have 7" Android tablet, but I really rarely use it for reading. It makes my eyes hurt if I read long perioids with it. I like to read on dim-lit room with reading light.
GoingDown is offline   Reply With Quote