Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 06-09-2011, 08:58 AM   #16
bob123
Addict
bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikaelalind View Post
Nadine, I don't have an Orizon but what I wonder is : Have you turned off the Wifi? I know that Kobo and Amazon claims their e-readers have a months battery time (or more), but that is with the WIFI off. If the Wifi is on the battery time is 10 days or so.
with the orizon it only turns the wify on while while web browsing (you touch the internet link and it says "connecting")
bob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:04 AM   #17
NadineJB
NadineJB began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Orizon
A good thought but with the Orizon the wifi only operates when you go on the Internet...otherwise this function is off.

Thanks for the suggestion though :-D

PS Oops... just seen Bobs reply and good to see that I'm right !
NadineJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2011, 09:54 AM   #18
bob123
Addict
bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NadineJB View Post
Thanks for that heads up !

I've just left a comment on their site asking just that...I'll let you know what they say when I get a reply ;-)
problem is whenever anyone asks a good question they just say to contact their support team...
Old 06-09-2011, 09:56 AM   #19
bob123
Addict

Quote:
I'm still on a quest to improve the battery life and I found something by accident which seems to be doing the trick.

As I read a lot in bed, I wanted to fix the screen so it wouldn't reorientate itself everytime I moved about so I turned off the accelerometer.

After a week of reading I still have 6 bars left which is a major improvement and most likely due to me switching off this function :-) Lets hope it continues !

interesting... If this is true then I wish I could set it to turn on the accelerometer only when web browsing as when I am reading it is not very useful but on web pages it is!
Old 06-09-2011, 10:33 AM   #20
NadineJB

I've just been back to have a look at their site and the message is still waiting to be moderated...so they're not that keen to divulge what ever secret improvement they've made.

So Bob123 you may very well be right...I may try on the French side of their site to see if that makes a difference, Bookeen being a French C° and all...

As for the accelerometer, I disable it when reading a book and enable it when on the Net...a bit of a pain but it does seem to save energy.
Advert
Old 06-09-2011, 11:15 AM   #21
bob123
Addict

Quote:
I've just been back to have a look at their site and the message is still waiting to be moderated...so they're not that keen to divulge what ever secret improvement they've made.
I am sure you will get a reply eventually. it can take some time though. sometime they won't reply for months! although they have just made a post so they will probably check it within the next couple of days.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:07 AM   #22
Rick_Aus
Rick_Aus began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Orizon
I have noticed an improvement to battery life with the latest update, but I can't yet say how effective as my reading habbits have changed since I was made redundant a couple of weeks ago.

As for the accelerometer, I turned mine off first thing, and I used to get the low battery life people were reporting. So I am just waiting to see how I do with the new firmware.

One thing I do know, is if the .xhtml files in the ePub are too large, it takes longer and longer, and uses more battery life to open the pages deeper into the file. Using software to change those to smaller file sizes (I use Sigil on OS X) makes a drastic difference.
Rick_Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:59 AM   #23
NadineJB

Thanks for your insights Rick_Aus ...I must say you had me lost with the Sigil on OS X so I confess I had to have a look on the Internet to see what you were talking about...and now it seems that it is a good idea.

I haven't looked in depth but how would this work with a borrowed ADE book ? Or is it nothing to do with it?
Old 06-17-2011, 02:31 AM   #24
NadineJB

OOOh much excitement for me this morning...I got a reply from Bookeen...Yippeee ! Here it is :-)

Bookeen Team says:
June 15, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Hello Nadine,
thanks for your message. We’re glad to know you’re happy with the new firmware. I will request some more information about the improved battery life and get back to you. I can already tell you that the improvements have been made by optimising the software of the Orizon, so that basic operations use less energy. We know that the Orizon uses more power than (for instance) the Cybook Opus, due to the touch interface and the WiFi connection, and our dev team is always working on ways to improve battery life.
Note however that the number of page turns indicated on the site is meant as an indication only, and only applies to specific (test) conditions, namely: with a fully charged battery, you turn pages continuously until the battery runs out. Don’t forget that in normal use conditions, other factors will affect the battery life, for instance using the wifi connection, periods of time between uses (although the battery drain is negligeable, all batteries will slowly drain even when a device is turned off; that’s why it’s important to charge a device fully when you first get it for example), and also that when reading, a “page turn” really refers to any change of the display, and therefore also includes things like displaying or hiding the menu, changing the text size, changing the font, navigating through your library… etc.
I hope this information helps!
Best regards,
Bookeen Team

So folks there it is from the horse's mouth...any thoughts?
Old 06-17-2011, 02:36 AM   #25
NadineJB

PS Bob123...there is a Bob that left a message on the Bookeen blog...if you are the one and the same they have also left you a reply...

Here's the link for those that are interested.

http://bookeen.com/blog/orizon-whats-new-in-v3-1/
Old 06-17-2011, 11:29 AM   #26
bob123
Addict

Quote:
PS Bob123...there is a Bob that left a message on the Bookeen blog...if you are the one and the same they have also left you a reply...

Here's the link for those that are interested.

http://bookeen.com/blog/orizon-whats-new-in-v3-1/
I wonder if they really will "get back to you"
Old 06-17-2011, 02:56 PM   #27
NadineJB

We'll just have to wait and see...but I won't be holding my breath :-/
Old 10-16-2011, 02:19 PM   #28
sunnysmiles
Addict
sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: I pad air, kindle pw2 and kindle touch , kindle had fire Nook pad nook
I have noticed in the lat few days that the battery seems to be lasting longer when I turn the device of and I also think at the same time I turned the accelator of. But they should certainly change the description on the their web site to a more realistic number of pages. It was the description that led me to buy the reader .
sunnysmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:16 AM   #29
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Nadine: You are right about the Tilt (it's not a real accelerometer on the Orizon) disable it asap, it is really a power hunger.
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:39 PM   #30
bob123
Addict

I think it is interesting that the specifications for the Orizon on Bookeen's site no longer specify how much time can be spent reading a day for the battery to last as long as they say.

Tags
battery life orizon