Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-20-2010, 04:46 PM   #1
iserian
iserian began at the beginning.

Device: PRS500, IPAD, Kindle2
Pages/Novels Read on your Ipad + Other E-Readers since 4/3

How many pages (I realize this has to do with font size - Estimate with Default Font) have you read on your I-Pad. Or if Novels is easier post # of.

How many times have you picked up your other E-Readers since April 3rd?

I started a bit slow due to a bit of eye strain but have steadily picked up pace with a few X-country flights over the past several weeks. I'm just working through Stieg Larsson's series and will be on Novel 6 - in the 7500 page range.

I have turned on my Sony (both 500 and 505) and Kindle2 once since April 3rd - and that was to check where I was on several not yet finished books.

My only real complaint is the screens glossy finish - I tend to have to move it around a bit to reduce reflections which in my case cause eye strain.
iserian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:52 PM   #2
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
finishing up my first novel today. watched 20 or so tv episodes and 4 movies so far. i find my reading dropped off because there is more i can do for entertainment and i like the ability to read for a bit, watch some video, play a quick game, read some more, check email, surf a bit, read some news. things my sony 600 could never do. i haven't touched my 600 since and decided to lend it to a friend who might be buying it from me. if he doesn't, i'll find someone else to sell it to.

never had a problem with eyestrain.

i applied a skin to the screen (www.bestskinsever.com) and it cut down on the gloss a little bit. not much. just a little.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:01 PM   #3
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
finishing up my first novel today. watched 20 or so tv episodes and 4 movies so far. i find my reading dropped off because there is more i can do for entertainment and i like the ability to read for a bit, watch some video, play a quick game, read some more, check email, surf a bit, read some news. ....
I think some may diagnose this as attention deficit disorder....
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:04 PM   #4
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I wouldn't call it ADD, just having varied interests. Still takes attention to watch a whole movie etc.

I'm that way as I'm big into movies, sports, tv shows, video games and reading (pretty much in that order).

So that's a big part of the appeal of tablets to me. They'd get a lot more use than my Kindle since I'm not an avid reader--tablets can be used for a lot of my big hobbies rather than one minor one.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:06 PM   #5
iserian
iserian began at the beginning.

Device: PRS500, IPAD, Kindle2
I found it distracting at first and found myself reading a bit and then doing all of the other things the device can do. Once I got into my "reading rhythim - IE - Good Book Groove" those distractions were for the most part gone. I may do a few checks of my key apps (NY Times, USA Today and of course Weather) - then back to reading.
iserian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:14 PM   #6
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

shrug. some people say einstein had ADD. i guess i'd be in good company.

sitting and reading for 8 hours straight can get quite boring. sure if it's my only option, say with a kindle. then i'd be stuck. but it's nice to have options.

at least i am enjoying using my ipad now.. how goes that wait for that android or something tablet..
Old 04-20-2010, 05:18 PM   #7
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Better to wait than end up with a device I'm not happy with. iPad is nice, but novelty has worn off for me after playing around with my girlfriend's a good bit.

As I said yesterday in another thread, tablets just aren't an "OMG I must have one right now" device that I feel compelled to early adopt. If I traveled all the time like you I'd probably feel differently though as it would be a great entertainment device for constant travel.

But for me it's a use around the home and office device, so I can wait for one that fits my needs better and stick with my laptop and Kindle in the mean time.

I'm guessing Sonist is kind of in the same boat with me on that front. Some people are early adopters, some prefer to wait and get devices that fit their needs better and have 1st gen kinks worked out.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:51 PM   #8
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Better to wait than end up with a device I'm not happy with. iPad is nice, but novelty has worn off for me after playing around with my girlfriend's a good bit.....

-----
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	consumerism.png
Views:	289
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	50162  
Old 04-20-2010, 05:59 PM   #9
Sonist
Apeist

Quote:
... how goes that wait for that android or something tablet..
It could be worse..., I've been watching 1080p movies on a 60" plasma, with 7.1 sound.

Then I browse some non-mobile sites on my 27" iMac and play a Flash game or two.

Then I go to bed, and read a bit on my old Kindle, which doesn't tire my eyes at all.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:00 PM   #10
scottjl
Reader of Books

sounds like someone went on a shopping spree.. an ipad would have been cheaper.

Last edited by scottjl; 04-20-2010 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:01 PM   #11
latexsalesman
Enthusiast
latexsalesman doesn't litterlatexsalesman doesn't litter

Device: Pw2 @ Retina Mini
I just finished my 3rd novel that I read in iBooks. I also read one novel in pdf format on goodreader. I really wish that iBooks was a customizable as goodereader is. I have not touched my Sony Prs-600 in 2 weeks. I have read around 2800 pages so far.
latexsalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:21 PM   #12
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
sounds like someone went on a shopping spree.. an ipad would have been cheaper.
Well I think Sonist has a fair point.

Again, the iPad is great for someone like you who travel's for a living and is seldom at home.

But for most of us, the iPad and other tablets have more limited use as we'd rather watch TV, sports, movies etc. on our big TVs and surround sound. Play games on that set up rather than the iPad (or a DS or PSP). Rather read novels on an e-reader etc. Surf the net on computers and laptops etc. None of that stuff will ever be better on a tablet. But a tablet can do it well outside of the house for people who are on the go like you.

For me the appeal of a tablet is for reading work documents, news papers, magazines, comics etc. So I'm not so excited and interested in one as someone like you who really, truly needs a nice, portable media consumption device.

Thus for you, it's worth early adopting. For those of us wanting tablets for productivity purposes etc., it's probably better waiting. We're not missing out on much, unlike you as you'd miss a lot not having a easily portable media device.

The iPad is a great media device, it's just not good for much else as that's the market Apple is focusing on.

For others that want to do work with it, have full web browsing including flash etc., it's smarter to wait.

I hate the Apple haters as much as anyone. But you are being overly defensive about it on this forum. Most of the trolls have left, I haven't seen the typical Apple bashing, LCD screen bashing etc. much the past week or so.

Criticism like Sonist's etc. that focus on missing features etc. are fair and welcomed here. He posts in a reasonable manner and isn't at all trolling IMO. He's interested in tablets, just posted in another thread that he may end up with an iPad if nothing better comes out etc. He's not some Apple hating troll like some who were posting here a couple weeks ago.

Again, if you want nothing but positive discussion with people who love the iPad, stick to the iPad/Apple specific forum sites. Responding so defensively to every negative posted about the iPad here causes nearly as much problems for the forum as the outright trolls posting here right before and after the iPad launch IMO.

I think we've had pretty good discussions on here about iPad pros and cons after the initial wave of trolls right before and after launch mostly moved on.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 04-20-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:45 PM   #13
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Let's see. I've read three books and am halfway through my fourth. I've rented one move (Inglorius Bastards)....watched about 5 episodes of Modern Family. Watched about a dozen cooking podcasts. Between my three kids and I -- the iPad is used all day long.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:44 AM   #14
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Ive read exactly 0 pages on my ipad since I received it. Too many other things to do like surf. Ive read about 40 pages on m PRS505 and iPod Touch since then as well. My reading lately has been bpoor, but I do not think the iPad will be my main reading device. Certainly not for the next 10 days as I have sold my iPad and ordered a 3G one ;P
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 06:29 PM   #15
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
Despite the many distractions (so many other things to do with it!) I've persevered and read 1/2 of Margaret Atwood's The Year of The Flood, all of Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol and I'm just starting on Harlan Coben's Caught.

Brown's book was specially fun to read on the iPad since his style is to mix a lot of factual detail in his fiction. It was fun highlighting words (e.g. noetics, rosicrucians, etc.) flipping over to Safari and pasting it into the Google search for some quick and dirty research. It beats jotting it down and looking it up later on in the computer.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote