Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-01-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer
brewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD!
Embedding Fonts with Indesign......

.....sucks.

Attached is an epub I built in Indesign with basic fonts embedded. The blurbs are from about.com.

The trick is that you need a full-fledged paragraph style defined per font to pick up the font.

Modifying an existing style with a font change does not pick up the font into the epub.

Arial, Times and Palatino are larger than 300K, so this won't open on a reader.
As it was built in Indesign, there is also DRM, so it won't open in Calibre either.

-bjc
Attached Files
File Type: epub basicstyles.epub (1.49 MB, 830 views)

Last edited by brewt; 01-01-2009 at 03:25 PM.
brewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 03:16 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewt View Post
.Arial, Times and Palatino are larger than 300K, so this won't open on a reader.
As it was built in Indesign, there is also DRM, so it won't open in Calibre either.
I don't think the Sony's have a limit on the size on an embedded font, and this certainly displays in the PRS-700 emulator (Sony's Windows ebook Reader). The ePub does not have DRM, but it still does not display in Calibre's Reader and it fails to import into Windows MobiPocket Reader (which tries to format shift from ePub to MOBI).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 03:23 PM   #3
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer
brewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enough

There is an encryption.xml. Other IDcs4-generated epubs I've tried to open in calibre have been sited as having drm, so naturally, I assumed, since I haven't found (and thereby, not changed) any drm controls from indesign.

I've been struggling with 300+k components in epubs all darn week, and as my beloved won't let me play with her Reader today, again, I'm assuming it won't open on the reader. The Sony PC emulator opens epubs with 300+k components without a flag (hence, my struggles this week) and so I've been repeatedly thwarted with oversized css's and xhtml's.

fbreader habitually crashes on me, and I have yet to get any epubs to open in MobiCreator or Opera. Darn my luck.

This seems to open fine in DE (which also opens 300+k-componented epubs without troiuble).

-bjc
Old 01-01-2009, 04:34 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewt View Post
There is an encryption.xml. Other IDcs4-generated epubs I've tried to open in calibre have been sited as having drm, so naturally, I assumed, since I haven't found (and thereby, not changed) any drm controls from indesign.
The "encryption" seems to be Adobe's silly font obscuration scheme, see Adobe DE "decrypts" fonts with XOR. I guess this is to get round font licensing issues.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:33 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre should be able to view and convert only font encrypted epubs as of a couple of versions ago, I added support for Adobe's font encryption scheme a while back
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:42 PM   #6
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer

This is the traceback I get when trying to view my fabulous new Indesign-generated epub with all (10) fonts embedded:

coercing to Unicode: need string or buffer, tuple found
Detailed traceback:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "main.py", line 520, in load_ebook
TypeError: coercing to Unicode: need string or buffer, tuple found

-bjc
Old 01-01-2009, 10:07 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Open a ticket and attach one of these epubs
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote