Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-03-2011, 04:06 PM   #46
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
I have to admit I was disappointed to hear that JKR’s wonderful story wasn’t going to be published for some time to come. I was hoping she would decide to publish through the regular book stores at least for a period of time and let people wander back to Pottermore on own.

My frustration over this publication delay made me think about the paradigm shift that’s take place in my lifetime; to me, until a book is published in eBook form it hasn’t been published, that’s why I’ve bought eBook versions of my favorites. Obviously not everyone thinks that way but honestly, the objections I’ve heard feel like someone in the 15th Century telling Gutenberg: “What’s your hurry, the monks will make another copy soon enough -- if another copy is needed.”

The world has indeed hurried up, time itself has been compressed. When I started my career we had three week deadlines to report important information. Then they installed typewriters with built in correction tapes and Xerox copiers so the typists only had to type one copy and could correct any mistakes at the touch of a key, and now they wanted a reply in ten days or less. Then they put in FAX machines and now they wanted an answer in two days. Next, email, and they wanted to hear back the same day. With each change there was a gain in efficiency and better service but you see, our concept of time kept being crunched just like it was when publishing first began.

eBooks are all about the rapid distribution of ideas and wider access to world literature, they let me join the culture stream within the flow of my personal timeline. Time is a big subject, well beyond an Internet post, but I wanted to express the source of my disappointment and frustration. It’s more than just being told to wait a bit longer, it means putting many other things on hold and re-planning to work around this. There is no doubt that JKR has the right to hold off or whatever she wants to do, nor do I fault her for doing it. The idea that her work is an important part of world literature, and all that means, must be daunting. And of course I can reorganize my priorities to fit Harry Potter back into my life at a different place, it’s just so frustrating having to do it.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:25 PM   #47
Carriebear
Polar Bear
Carriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Nook Color (rooted), iPod Touch (jailbroken)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
to me, until a book is published in eBook form it hasn’t been published,
I could not (respectfully) disagree more with this statement. So because the Potter books aren't out in ebook format, they've not been published? Tell that to the millions of children who asked to stay up late to read "just one more chapter, please." To the folks who queued up outside bookstores at midnight to get the latest books - and the idiots who drove by in cars screaming out spoilers I guess to my mind... I'm not owed ebooks of my favorite books. They're great to have on my reader so that I can carry them no matter where I am, but it's a luxury, not a right. I realize that's not what you're saying, but I don't understand the idea that unless a book is also put in ebook form, it's.. somewhat invalid.
Carriebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:02 PM   #48
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriebear View Post
I could not (respectfully) disagree more with this statement. So because the Potter books aren't out in ebook format, they've not been published? Tell that to the millions of children who asked to stay up late to read "just one more chapter, please." To the folks who queued up outside bookstores at midnight to get the latest books - and the idiots who drove by in cars screaming out spoilers I guess to my mind... I'm not owed ebooks of my favorite books. They're great to have on my reader so that I can carry them no matter where I am, but it's a luxury, not a right. I realize that's not what you're saying, but I don't understand the idea that unless a book is also put in ebook form, it's.. somewhat invalid.
There are many reasons I will only buy eBooks, so for me, until any book is published in a form I am able to read it is not yet published.

eBooks are not mere convenience. Basically, life is short and there is only so much time available to me for reading. Time is being compressed and I cannot wait because there are many great books and useful additions to the so-called “great conversation” that is literature, books that someone has taken the effort to publish in a form that complies with 21st Century needs. The current time will soon pass and be gone forever, taking with it every opportunity now available. The eBook readers let us research -- search again -– through that long conversation to find where the new threads fit.

The Harry Potter stories are not mere fish wrapper. As you point out, they are part of what is informing at least one generation of people all over the Earth. I believe they need to be incorporated into the body of literature and to do that best we need every advantage we can get.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote